Sponsored by: Moser

2010 5.4 to 5.0 swap- the time is now

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 5.4 to 5.0 swap- the time is now

I have a 2010 f150 lariat. Ordered it from the factory with every option I wanted. Added retractable steps, a cover and a booming stereo. Also added about 100lbs of fat mat to interior. Was just informed by my mechanic that it will be best to replace the 5.4 Jasper replacement engine with 104,000 rather than rebuild the top end. . 8 months and 4k past the warranty. The Jasper unit replaced the original that threw a valve at 131,000.
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it I have kept the truck in excellent condition. I investigated the cost of replacing the truck with a new comparable model and decided the 65k for a new truck is not in the cards right now. Ideally need to get another 4-5 years out of this truck. That being said it would be easiest and cheapest to just replace the 5.4 with another 5.4.
HOWEVER- I have the time(about 30-45 days) and the money(15k+/-) to consider the 5.0 swap. I've actually been toying with this idea for some time- doing a little research here and there but never finding the holy grail of info. Posts and articles suggest the possibility but I am having trouble finding concrete info on what modifications if any need to be made.. Found a link to hot rod magazines 5.0 swap article but the link is dead. Located many 5,0 mustang kits including engine and harness.with and without transmissions Not much in the way of the truck 5.0 unless I am looking at the used market.
I have confirmed that the 5.0 has the same bolt pattern for the transmission but not much else. In order for this to happen I need lay out the entire install including modifications needed and parts needed. My mechanic will clear out a bay in his shop in about 10- 14 days. At that time I need to have this project packaged up neatly so he knows what he is getting into. I have another mechanic that says he can do this in about a month from now and would have time over several months to work on it. I would prefer to take option two where the mechanic will have space and extra time but quit my job last month to take some summer road trips so the timing of this issue is awful. I what to make good decisions and end up with a positive out of this negative but I also want to get back on the road ASAP and enjoy a long road trip visiting some of the amazing places in this country.

Can somebody point me in the right direction. What would be sweetest is a gen 2 5.0 with a ten speed- out of a salvaged truck. However at this moment I am looking at used 5.0 plus harness/pcm mated to my original 6 speed tranny(with a complete rebuild either with the new installation or later down the road when it fails.) In looking on the internet I have come across companies like carmonkeys.com. Is that the way to go for a used 5.0? They do offer a warranty.

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks
Tim

Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Honestly the best way to do this would be to get a complete donor truck, that way worst case you can interchange harnesses, gauge clusters..ect as needed. I know a decent amount of wiring changed between 10-11 I think it's a very do-able swap just need to have all the parts accessible.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
HRM link:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...ne-swap-guide/

JMO if you want to take long road trip put a 5.4 back in there.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I decided to build a beefy 4.6 for my '03 Mustang instead of going with the 5.0 swap. I read over many swaps and none of them turn out driving 100%. The engines and harnesses have too many differences.

You can buy several 5.4's with $15k, or you can have a 5.0 that you're scared to drive more than your AAA membership's towing distance from the house. For half of that money, you could have a bulletproof 5.4 built. It's your money; do what you want. If the idea is better reliability though, you're going the wrong direction.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Put another 5.4 in it. Or trade it off with a used 5.4 in it. And then get a 5.0 truck

Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Indeed. That $15k plus whatever you can get for your current pickup would buy a nice used, 5.0 powered F150.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m with the guys on this one I’d stay with a 5.4. Simple replacement and you’re up and running in way shorter time. Then in a few years get you one with a 5.0

Old 07-14-2018, 01:33 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
Thanks for the replies. The link is what I was looking for - even is less than encouraging reading.
I think more research is in order before giving up and going with the 5.4. Looks like electronics and smog I think are the biggest issues at this point.

Once a functional engine is installed the truck will probably run till it dies. With the approximate 10k in add-on goodies 235,000 is a lot of miles even with a "new" engine. Trade in would be somewhere around 10k- valued at 9600 by the dealership that fixed it in Klamath Falls, OR in March of 17 after its last found on road dead instance(blew the coolant crossover tube in sub zero weather in Doris, CA- which is about 5,000 miles from nowhere. Fortunately the tow truck driver knew a short cut and it was only 26 miles to the dealership). I figure it might gain a little value back if I go with a remanufactured unit. However acceptable replacements(yes a true 1st world problem here) are all in the low 30s to high 40s(still need to look further) so would need to come up with 25-30k.

I rented a 150xlt today with the 5.0- I was really impressed with the low end response. Gas mileage was easily 4mpg better over numerous well known routes - and that was playing with the acceleration numerous times. I was sure it had the 2.7 until i got on the freeway and it was obviously a full throated v8! Rental had 20k on the odometer and felt really solid. After putting a 100 miles on the rental today and really enjoying it I figured I would be done with my old worn out truck. This evening while driving my truck back from the repair shop- yes it still runs, #3 & #5 have low compression and makes a very noticeable clacking noise- I turned the stereo up enough to cover the clacking sound and then a bit more because, well just because it sounds good and I didn't want to hear it if the engine blew up... Turns out the truck isn't so worn out. 80 degrees out, sun roof open, cooled seats on, tunes turned up. I like the old truck- but that 5.4 is less desirable now. Well thats it for now. I think Its time to sleep on this. 1st thing in the morning I am heading to to buy a lottery ticket.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pilot10
Thanks for the replies. The link is what I was looking for - even is less than encouraging reading.
I think more research is in order before giving up and going with the 5.4. Looks like electronics and smog I think are the biggest issues at this point.

Once a functional engine is installed the truck will probably run till it dies. With the approximate 10k in add-on goodies 235,000 is a lot of miles even with a "new" engine. Trade in would be somewhere around 10k- valued at 9600 by the dealership that fixed it in Klamath Falls, OR in March of 17 after its last found on road dead instance(blew the coolant crossover tube in sub zero weather in Doris, CA- which is about 5,000 miles from nowhere. Fortunately the tow truck driver knew a short cut and it was only 26 miles to the dealership). I figure it might gain a little value back if I go with a remanufactured unit. However acceptable replacements(yes a true 1st world problem here) are all in the low 30s to high 40s(still need to look further) so would need to come up with 25-30k.

I rented a 150xlt today with the 5.0- I was really impressed with the low end response. Gas mileage was easily 4mpg better over numerous well known routes - and that was playing with the acceleration numerous times. I was sure it had the 2.7 until i got on the freeway and it was obviously a full throated v8! Rental had 20k on the odometer and felt really solid. After putting a 100 miles on the rental today and really enjoying it I figured I would be done with my old worn out truck. This evening while driving my truck back from the repair shop- yes it still runs, #3 & #5 have low compression and makes a very noticeable clacking noise- I turned the stereo up enough to cover the clacking sound and then a bit more because, well just because it sounds good and I didn't want to hear it if the engine blew up... Turns out the truck isn't so worn out. 80 degrees out, sun roof open, cooled seats on, tunes turned up. I like the old truck- but that 5.4 is less desirable now. Well thats it for now. I think Its time to sleep on this. 1st thing in the morning I am heading to to buy a lottery ticket.
I bought mine at 3 years old certified with <30k miles, 4wd, CC, for $28k. I'm not sure what you're looking at for $30-$40k+.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
Originally Posted by zxwut?
I bought mine at 3 years old certified with <30k miles, 4wd, CC, for $28k. I'm not sure what you're looking at for $30-$40k+.
I would jump on a less than 30k low miles f150 4x4 with the cooled seats, tow package and a moon roof - Those options are must haves. Other options are important but when those are included the truck will generally be at the leveI want. I would prefer a super cab but take a CC if the deal was right. I've been looking for several months, not just the past couple days and haven't seen anything close to 30k for anything with less than around 100k on the odometer( without traveling 1,000 miles). With rebates around here now I could pick up a brand new XL for about 31K- but I really want the moon-roof(like I said a real 1st world problem). I have found several in the high 30s that would work but the they are all East of the Mississippi and I'm in the SF Bay Area. While I'm not against traveling to purchase I haven't gotten there just yet. Up until yesterday when the mechanic confirmed the engine is bad I had been looking only half heartedly. I'm more serious about it today and maybe those better priced deals will appear. The wife has been looking a little also- I dont think she believed me when I told her how much to replace with a new one. After seeing the price of the new ones she may be less of an obstacle in purchasing a nice used one. I've given myself until next Wednesday to evaluate all options and make a decision as to which direction to go.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Fair enough! Happy hunting.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM
FiveOJester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 242 Likes on 188 Posts
In theory the swap sounds pretty straight-forward and I think mechanically the 5.0 would slide right in since the truck body and tranny did not change between 10 & 11. The electronics are what would worry me. SOOO much stuff on these trucks now. Being California, you'd have to get it thru a smog referee and you'd have to swap over the ECM, and all sensors from the 5.0. Basically you'd have to get a donor truck that you move parts from.

One item to consider is the electric power steering that they switched to on the 5.0 trucks. You've got a hydraulic rack so you'd have to deal with that as well which could be a PITA. With a donor truck it should be possible but who knows if the racks would swap?

Also the 5.0's are exactly known to be problem free. I'm sure you've read the threads about bottom end issues. I'd hate to have you buy a wrecked 5.0 only to find out when you're done that the bottom end is shot and you now need a long-block.

Have you considered a 6.2L swap? They are pretty much bomb-proof and in the Superdutys they are a dime a dozen. The 6.2L F150's had hydraulic steering so in theory you could use your existing rack. That would be a BADASS truck that you could probably sell easily when you are done with the truck.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM
kelwar
Senior User
I have no idea where it was now but I seen pictures of a 5.4 - 5.0 swap so it can be done. I don't remember how it was done either but guessing the guy had a doner truck. From what I have read they have ironed most of the kinks out of the newer control packs and there isn't a ton of drivability problems like the first swaps.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM
pilot10
More Turbo
Thanks to everyone. While the time is now the timing isn't right. i need a working truck now. Recently realigned my life plans- when the wife and I purchased a fixer upper in December the "restore an old truck" plans were put on hold- probably for 3-5 years. When 2010 F150 went down 7 months later I was all about fixing it- working on vehicles is fun(when it runs after your done anyway). However as nice as my truck is the 2010 platform is not the one I would desire to have as a project truck. After a lot of searching both the soul and the internet I've decided I need to be moving forward. Will be visiting 5 different states in the next month in a new to me 2016 Lariat Screw i picked up last night- it does have have the 3.5 and a warranty that covers it to 140,000.
As far as the 2010- It will sit on the street with a for sale sign for a few weeks. If no takers I have several nephews in high school who are really getting into cars. Might set it up as a family project and just drop in a used 5.4 and let them tool around town.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I’m with the guys on this one I’d stay with a 5.4. Simple replacement and you’re up and running in way shorter time. Then in a few years get you one with a 5.0
WITH the Cam Phaser Bypass kit installed!

CMOS