2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate Stolen - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 PM
mrmag00
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Wonder if you owe on the vehicle if the lender will let you downgrade to a Lariat tailgate?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question concerning the tailgate theft. I've heard the new tailgates have electronic locks and can be easily and accidently unlocked with the key FOB. No handle.....

Is that correct?

Can you secure lock it so it doesn't accidently get unlocked?

Is it easier to steal a new tailgate than the old with handle locks?

Yes, I have heard the same as you that a tailgate can cost $2,000.00 (Maybe that's with a matching paint and Platinum grade)

Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 PM
1024F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a mcgard off of eBay to give myself peace of mind. At least it will slow them down or make stealing it noisy and bring attention. If they really want it they’ll get it but it may stop the amateurs.

As as far as the downgraded gate... it would turn me off because I’m paying for the extra jewelry. But it depends if they’re looking for any ole work truck for less or if they want everyone to know the trim level. The first thing people usually ask me is what trim I have. As stated above, keep moving if you don’t want to buy mine. It’s your truck.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Make sure the quote includes everything....tail gate, camera, step, step handle, wiring harness, etc. My neighbor had his stolen off his '15 and it was a battle with the insurance company to get everything included. There are many extra parts in addition to the tail gate itself.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by birddogn_tc
That's what I felt but my insurance replaces with OEM parts.
Platinum SD tailgate and tail lights stolen while vehicle was backed up against a wall?

Yes, I would agree with you that this theft was very impressive indeed but i`d also say that unless the wall or truck was moved, this is not possible. Not that it matters but is there more to this theft that you`re not mentioning?

With that being said and since you said that you`re insured, have it towed to your local Ford dealer and have them replace the stolen parts with new OEM parts because the only reason many but not all insurance companies suggest or recommend a non dealer repair shop is because many of them use OEM parts that are "used" or they use an aftermarket part.

The insurance company is paying for it anyway so the towing should be included. The only thing that you`re going to have to come out of your pocket for is your deductible. If you decide to go with the outside shop that`s close to you, I doub`t very seriously that much is going to happen or that anything will change in the cost of the repair by driving two blocks.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:57 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
It would take maybe 20 minutes to install the taillights and tailgate. Why not have the insurance company give you money and you can order whatever you want tailgate wise and just throw it on in your driveway?

Some will be turned off that it doesn't have the Platinum tailgate, there are plenty of people out there that only buy the Platinum because it has Platinum plastered everywhere. But who cares, do it up how you like it, you can always add the applique later with some 3M tape if it's really an issue when selling.
The days of insurance companies mailing checks to vehicle owners for repairs are over.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
if your driving with no brake lights i would have somebody follow in another vehicle. best case scenario, a cop pulls you over and impounds your truck. worst case, someone runs into your truck and you get sued

Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
The days of insurance companies mailing checks to vehicle owners for repairs are over.
Happened to me recently. Then again I paid cash up front.

to OP: get paid for full cost then get the tailgate you want. I hate the platinum appliqué. I wouldn’t worry one bit about not having it when you go to sell or trade.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:52 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Not really. Had a recent insurance claim and Allstate was going to mail the check to me. I told 'em I prefer they send it straight to the dealer's body shop ... no need for me to play middle-man.

I want to know how that tailgate was stolen since the truck was supposedly backed up to a wall. I guess it could be opened electrically from beneath the truck by knowing which wire to energize in the harness. I know which wire it is thanks to all the discussions in this forum about the remote-open tailgates. But how did they physically remove it in tight quarters?

Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hogwash, you have every right to collect the check personally as you have every right to not have the damage repaired but still be reimbursed for it.

I get every single check mailed to me whenever there is a claim.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Msmith1968
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had a hail damage claim on my 2018 350. They cut me a check on the spot. I have zero interest in fixing the damage. You can barley see it. As long as there are claims people will collect their checks. Insuranse companies would much prefer you didn’t fix it so they can deny a future claim for similar damage and mostly because you won’t have much of an opportunity to make a supplemental claim if it’s not being repaired.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM
CP34
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is so much bad info and random advice in this thread I don’t even know where to start.

Good of luck with your repairs/replacement. If you’re reasonable, your insurance company will be too.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
best advice...don't use callibur collision. I had one repaired with them....then took it to where I should have....and had them put correctly fitted OEM parts on it.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bet the bare, unpainted tailgate itself is $700....
Paint, paint labor, trim pieces, electric lock, wiring harness, camera, gate damper, Plat trim, cable supports, assembly labor, etc may be extra.....
I'd have a body shop do it, unless you can find a take-off Platinum gate assembled- from an upfitter. (Find a lift-gate installer...)
$.02

Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 PM
OEM
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you're in Texas. You have the right to take your truck where you want. I work for an insurance company as an adjuster and there are advantages to using their recommended shop such as warranty and the like, but you're allowed to take it where you want.
Originally Posted by Poncho450
That smells of an aftermarket knockoff to me, if there is such a thing for these trucks. Hold your insurance company's feet to the fire.
Certain states its well within the insurance companies right to use aftermarket and used parts, and its 100% legal.
I hand out checks to customers every day of the week as an adjuster for a major insurance company. Insured or claimant, doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by Msmith1968
If you want to drive your truck to them with no tail lights that’s your right. It’s your truck.
Actually, it isn't, and this is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Stolen - Questions