3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

Diesels are arriving at dealers now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Diesels are arriving at dealers now.

Just saw on FB that the dealer I use, Pegues-Hurst Ford in Longview, Texas has just received their second diesel F-150. So evidently they are arriving at the dealers now.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 PM
nitrocharger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, and just like some of you I've been waiting on the sidelines for this new 3.0. I've searched through the limited info and specs on them and without getting anywhere, I went to the dealership to actually look at one. One of the things that is important to me is towing and these are offered with a 3.31 and 3.55 rear. Naturally, the 3.55 will get you the better tow rating. Finding one is tough and it seems that only about 1 in 4 have this configuration. Add in the tow package and the "super duty style" side mirrors, and you have a little tow rig. Of course this new 3.0 apparently isnt good enough for the blue collar XL/XLT peasants and the truck I had to look at was a Platinum level trim. My main concern was that this truck will be a sick dog trying to get out of its own way, not the case at all, at least not with the 3.55 gearset. The shifts were quick and tight and I didnt feel too much turbo lag at all. At idle the truck has the unmistakable diesel chatter and it sounds really cool outside but not noticeable on the inside. The truck I test drove had a MSRP of $69k, about what you can get a platinum 6.7 SD for. I wanted to ask the dealer about any guinea pig discounts for this new unproven power stroke since I would be the first wave of customers to take it on the chin if it turns out to be another 6.0. I already knew about the overinflated price tag for these but it was the lack of pedigree for this engine and the measly 60k warranty that they now offer that made me walk away, at least for now.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 PM
awsmev
Senior User
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM
awsmev
Senior User
Old 07-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I drove an F-150 King Ranch today. Nearly $71000 sticker price. Very quiet, good throttle response. Seems to have plenty of power but I didn't get on it too hard. Ford will probably sell as many as they can produce.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:48 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Only schmucks will buy this truck trying to compete with the jones. This truck failed on the TFL YouTube channel and cost the same as a 6.7 which effectively is double the truck common sense and math should tell you to steer clear and maybe ford will price it respectively.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:43 AM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
Only schmucks will buy this truck trying to compete with the jones. This truck failed on the TFL YouTube channel and cost the same as a 6.7 which effectively is double the truck common sense and math should tell you to steer clear and maybe ford will price it respectively.
Agree, unless they start to offer it in a base package it will have a short life like many diesel in smaller vehicles, the diesel is a $4K option but really a $13K upgrade as you need a minimum Lariat package. The only manufacture to be successful offering a diesel in a smaller vehicle in the US has been VW you didn't need to have the top package to get that option, Chevy tried it with the cruse but the cost for their diesel went from a base price of $18K to $38K. dumb...

Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,435 Likes on 936 Posts
smart of ford trickle a few of the "high end" high profit trucks first, people will buy them. Dodge had the same tactic with the ecodiesel.

ill keep my opinion comments out of this

Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Preach it brother, preach it!
LOL a lot of brand loyalty folks around here didnt like those kind of similar observations I made about it even before the flop on TFL.
I agree that F-150 diesel really serves no purpose other than Ford's attempt to get a gullible consumer to equate it to a status symbol and I bet it is already beginning to occur where folks are seeing those F-150 diesels being driven and grinning real big at the driver while thinking that PT Barnum was right when he said "a sucker is born every minute"

Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
64 points on the retest.

I don't think I'll be trading my 2.7.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:36 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
if they hold up anything like a 6.7 i bet they will be a blast once the tuners get everything worked out

Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Hope they sell better then the Ram Ecodiesels and the Titan diesels. Very few of these expensive and not so capable trucks running the roads around here. Lots of Superduties..Ram heavy duty's and the GM diesels on the roads.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:24 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
If they didnt have to be saddled with 10k worth of emissions equipment it would make sense. The idea was born before that was a fact of life, seems they finally made it happen, but now the cost just does not make sense.

Your average f-150 off the line with a $1000 up charge for a 4bt or something similar would work. mpg and cost would make sense, but most people that buy these trucks couldnt stomach the loud clattery stinking shaking beautiful sound. lol

I think the last ford diesel that made financial sense to buy as a DD/tow rig was the 7.3, wasn't the up charge less than 4k? and diesel was the same or 10-20 cents less than 87 octane.
My 6.7 doesn't give me a return for what i do, but i have it because it makes driving and towing a pleasure

Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The high end trucks are getting to dealers finally but fleets have had these since mid May. I have driven the 3.0 extensively in XLT trim and I must say its underwhelming. We have a mix of fleet trucks with the 3.5 and 2.7 and then you have the 3.0. Well the only thing going for it is MPG which is a good solid mid 20's range. That's it I have nothing good to say otherwise. Don't plan on merging into a freeway loaded at top speed!

Old 08-25-2018, 08:29 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it really stood on par with the 3.5 ecoboost and was also offered in same trim levels (with just a few thousand more for the diesel engine upgrade), then it would probably make a decent choice based on functionality/economics and not on desire, ego, status symbol etc etc.
However, the arrogance of Ford asking that much for such an anemic dog is beyond belief.
I hope Ford really learns two lessons from this 1. they enjoy having another Edsel on their hands and 2. that the consumer is actually a wee bit smarter than they actually gave them credit for.
Good Luck Ford with your Fiero-150

Quick Reply: Diesels are arriving at dealers now.