Stuttering After New Coil Packs and Plugs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

Stuttering After New Coil Packs and Plugs

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Adoukit H
New User
Adoukit H is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi All,

First off, I have searched high and low on various forums, none of which have pointed me in the exact direction for my year/engine... If I missed something, please point me to the right thread!

At 90k miles, I had a misfire code, after taking it into the shop they said it was Cylinder 4 Coil pack. I had them change it and the plug as I was leaving the next day for a trip and didn't have time.
At 108k miles (where I am at now) I felt the same symptoms from the time the coil pack on cylinder 4 went out (Engine Hesitation/Bog down upon acceleration), so I decided to just change them all as the code didn't tell me which cylinder it was. I bought the MSD-55158 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-55158) coil packs and MSD Spark plugs.
- I changed each coil pack and plug, reconnected all the coil pack connectors (making sure to hear the click) and put everything back together. No problems with the exception of one of the little red clips broke during disassembling the first coil pack... I tried to pull it off after I reconnected everything and it wouldn't move so I am pretty sure it's not going anywhere...
- I started the engine up last night, sounded great with no noticeable issues or noises. I let it run for about 5 mins and then shut it off.
- This morning I drove it into work and the first 15 mins of the drive was perfect. Seemed like everything was all set.
- After about 15 mins into the drive to work, when I would accelerate, the truck would have more significant stutter/hesitation issues than before I changed the coil packs... It felt more like a back to front shake than a little bog down. If I accelerate very slowly, it doesn't appear to hesitate but the last 10 mins of the drive to work weren't great.
- The PCV hose on the passenger side has a slight leak noise that when I push it down into the valve, goes away but it seems to be locked into place properly still. I would be surprised if this was the cause of the issue but there is that.

I have a 2011 F150, V8 5.0L.

Is there anyone who could advise on this?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM
gDMJoe
Elder User
gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Lightbulb

Adoukit H ... Is there anyone who could advise on this?
  1. Use Motorcraft parts
  2. Make sure that the spark plugs are properly gapped (.049" - .053")
  3. Fix the vacuum leak

Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Adoukit H
New User
Thanks for the reply, Joe. The spark plug gap I found to be 0.041-0.047... I set them at 0.045. I thought the 0.49 - 0.053 was from 2012 and up?
I planned on fixing the leak, already ordered the part but I wondered if that leak should cause the issue i described, do you think it would?

In regards to motorcraft parts, I do 99% of the time, but in this case I wasn't paying 2.5X for the coil packs. I probably should have stuck with Motorcraft plugs.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
jdunk54nl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jdunk54nl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
These spark plugs have been known to easily crack the ceramic on them causing issues, especially if over tightened.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:52 PM
marang
Junior User
marang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you replace the coil boots? I know they're not as prone to failure on the 5.0 as the ecoboost but it might still be worth a try.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM
gDMJoe
Elder User
gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.gDMJoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Adoukit H ... I thought the 0.49 - 0.053 was from 2012 and up?
That is when the spec' was changed, and applies to previous year.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 PM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I'm not convinced that the MC coils are 2.5x better as the price would suggest. I just put 8 new autozone coils in my Expedition but I did use MC plugs. No issues. BTW, new coils will come with new boots.

BTW, my Expedition is on it's 3rd motorcraft fuel pump at 2.5x the cost.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Adoukit H
New User
Originally Posted by gDMJoe View Post
That is when the spec' was changed, and applies to previous year.
Gotcha. That makes sense... thanks for clarifying.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Adoukit H
New User
Problem solved.

I ran a scan it kicked out a misfire against Cyl 8. Pulled it apart and replaced the spark plug, fixed that issue.

It also kicked out a random misfire code. I saw the coil on Cyl 3 wasn’t seated the same as the others, removed it and found the seal in the OD of the Coil pack shaft rode up when I installed it.... fixed that and reseated (more carefully).

Running like a champ now, thanks for the advise all!