9in rear end swap - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

9in rear end swap

Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
9in rear end swap

I have shock mounts off larger Ford truck to edit the 3 inch axle housing. They will need wider then stock ubolts. That will leave a little space between the ubolts and the leaf springs. Is this going to be a problem? Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
How big a gap between the u-bolts and the springs?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappys53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Haven't taken actual measurement but it onnnnnn

Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Haven't taken actual measurement but it is not much

Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I had the same situation, with maybe 1/8" - 1/4" side clearance to the springs. I'm using a GM truck lower plate that is very stout, and I've seen the Ford plates you're using, they are also stout. I've had no problems for 15,000 miles. If you have a newer engine with a lot of HP, may not be as lucky.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Pappys53
Elder User
Does anyone have pictures of their 9 inch rearend

Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Hotrod350
Junior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Pappys53 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of their 9 inch rearend
Um .... yes but I didn't think this was that type of forum :P

Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Pappys53
Elder User
I found pictures showing a plate being used on top of springs that put the ubolts on each side of the springs instead of over the springs. Where can I find the plates or do they need to be made?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Guntown
Craig
Guntown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check with Barnes 4WD web site they will have what your looking for...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM
truckeemtnfords
Posting Guru
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
Some pictures of what you are talking about would help a ton. You can weld and re-drill the plates that you have to eliminate the gap if it is a concern but a small gap would not be a problem as long as the bolts are new and properly torqued.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Osubuki
Freshman User
Osubuki is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another suggestion - take a look at the Mid Fifty catalog for the 1957-66 parts. They have u bolts and shock mounts that allow you to mount in the stock position under the bed for the 9" that take into account the 3" diameter you are mentioning.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
Not having much luck finding anything on Midfifty's site

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Pappys53
Elder User
I found them in their hard copy catalog. Their online web catalog does not have everything

Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Pappys53 View Post
Is this going to be a problem? Any suggestions?
I asked a spring maker here in St. Louis this very question. While in the service we use to thave u bolts that were the spring width until they went through the bottom plate Where they widened. They said they couldn’t make that type of u bolt but that there shouldn’t be any problem. I still went to the farm store and bought some small spacers (they look like pieces of pipe) for a trailer and used them to close the space between the u bolts and the springs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.