Pressure Washing The 6.7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure Washing The 6.7

Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Pressure Washing The 6.7

Has anyone took a pressure washer to the engine bay? It's dusty this time of year and my engine bay is a mess. My OCD wants it clean, on the other hand I can remember back to the days of distributor caps and rotors at the car wash if it was to get wet the car wouldn't start. There is a bunch more crap under the hood now than back in the good ol days and I'm a little reluctant to give it a try.

I'm sure steam cleaning would be the way to go but I'm looking for a DIY solution and I have a pressure washer handy.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't recommend pressure washer. There is actually a section in the manual that shows area's to avoid. I've used engine degreaser on it, when the engine is cool, let it soak, and using a standard garden hose sprayer to rinse with no problems.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
As suggested by djousma, a simple garden hose is good enough. I've seen a lot of guys use Simple Green to clean the engine bay. I've heard that you don't want to leave on for very long without rinsing it off. I've tried the Gunk engine cleaner but that stuff smells so bad I will never use it again. The AMSOil engine cleaner is citrus based and smells really good and seemed to be just as effective as Gunk. But it's also rather expensive. A plain dish soap might be all you need.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Jim,

Agreed on the GUNK. While it works great, it takes a week or more to get the smell out of the truck. There are plenty of different engine bay degreasers on the shelf at most automotive stores.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I just did mine this last weekend. spray the gunk stuff, let it sit and rinse with gentle water.
Then take it for a drive to get up to temps so it can dry out.

I would never pressure wash.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks senix for the detailed process you use. I think I will give that a go and see what happens.