VIN Tag and Title - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

VIN Tag and Title

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM
EricJ
Posting Guru
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
VIN Tag and Title

I bought a '51 F-600 that I would like to restore, but it has no VIN tag or Title, so I'm in the market for another one I can buy for the ID. Doesn't mater how bad it is, I don't need anything but the ID. off of it.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Have you checked with your state DMV to see what may be involved in getting a title? There's probably a VIN number on the frame if the glove box plate is gone.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I would agree with Vern. Your legal serial number should be stamped near the right side motor mount on the top of the frame rail. Replacement, reproduction tags are available that can be stamped with your correct number. Since you're in Mass., a quick trip to Vermont with a bill of sale would probably get you all the paperwork you need, all good and legal.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 PM
hulleywoodworking
Senior User
hulleywoodworking has a good reputation on FTE.hulleywoodworking has a good reputation on FTE.
I believe that buying a title from one car to register another is illegal in every state in the union.

There is a serial number on the frame that you can use to apply for a replacement title. Check with your state DMV.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
I believe that buying a title from one car to register another is illegal in every state in the union.

There is a serial number on the frame that you can use to apply for a replacement title. Check with your state DMV.
Exactly! That's the same as switching license plates, which is also illegal everywhere as far as I know.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Too bad you don't live closer to Arkansas. I have a '51 F6 with 22,000 miles on it that I am parting out with a clear Arkansas title. I will have the frame and cab for sale shortly. The frame will have the front axle with tires and wheels, tires are like new. It also has the rear springs, but no rear axle. The spring shackles and king pins should be in good shape with the low miles. The cab has a couple of quarter size rust holes in the floor and some repairable roof damage where it had a light or siren. The rest of the cab is rust free.
Mark

Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Every state has a process to get a state ID tag. It makes it much easier if you have the VIN off the frame so they can run it through their system to see if it was reported stolen. A bill-of-sale will make it easier also.