just a dumb question: do rear u need to grease pack the rear hubs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

just a dumb question: do rear u need to grease pack the rear hubs

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
eyyu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

i did all kinds of front axle work last year. Plan ning to take care of the rear end this year before  the anual 5K miles vacation. Took off the 2 rear right wheels then the 8 smaller bolts holding that heavy duty cap thing. after cracked it open oil came out. Now Irealized that the rear hub might be directly connected to the differential. I have to assume that the rear bearings are lubed  by the differential fluid. Is it right and no need  to grease pack them? Thx  

Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
eyyu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
got it. no need to grease pack. 

Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I don't know what's up with your text there but it's more than I can read.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
X2 on your text. When I did rear seals, I also repacked the bearings.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Randyholton
New User
Randyholton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just did mine and according to the Ford 2002 manual f350 srw it calls for two ounces of rear end fluid

Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 PM
crop harvester
Posting Guru
crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
I like to use a light coating of assembly grease like Lubriplate # 105,unless the bearing is dripping of gear oil,I don't like to pack or use #2 chassis grease,it will seal of the gear oil & You will loose the cooling affect You get with gear oil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.