Speedometer app on my phone - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Speedometer app on my phone

Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ross:

Rowand Speedometer Co. in Florida sells a ratio adapter which just screws on to the trans fitting and your cable screws into the other end. I have a mechanic friend build one for my '58 Suburban and it works perfectly.
Here's the link with the phone #, but I think you have to call Ron to get a price.
www.Speedcorrect.com

Regards, Mark

Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ross: Here's another seller right down the road from me. They do very high quality gauge restoration, including silk screening. Expensive also!

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/ratio_adapter.asp

Mark

Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Thanks, that appears to be the one I've seen sold by several sellers. It looks to me like the only mech adapter with a chance of clearing the trans cover on F1s is the right angle type sold by the others.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by CBeav View Post
The days are long gone when most large cities had several speedo shops. A spinning drum with magnets magically tugging at another drum (or cross bar) inside it, tensioned by a watch spring, didn't make for great accuracy in a high volume production part. Your readings fall about right in the middle of expected error/tolerance for the time. Also, don't discount the possibility of GPS 'tolerance' also. Plus, your phone isn't a dedicated GPS device, there's a lot of other things that could be sucking up CPU cycles at any time while you're GPSing and cause minor inaccuracies. If you want another source for verification try doing 45 through a a school zone once school re-opens. ;-)
All true. The phone speedo is slow to record the speed. I have to keep the truck's speed steady for a while for the speedo app to catch up.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
I downloaded an App this morning before I took a cruise. It seemed to work and respond fairly fast. My trucks speedometer is not currently working so I cannot comment on the accuracy of the trucks speedometer. I did compare it with my 2012 F150 and it was consistently 1 MPH lower than my pickup. I consider this pretty accurate with the trucks speedometer. Below is the results of my 55' with a 5.14 rear end. Felt like I was flying! LOL

Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
I can't look at my phone when driving since I get mad when I see someone else doing it. I get behind people often at a stop sign or a green light that are too busy with their phone to go.
I have a GPS speedo from Speed Hut that is great, shows rpm's, elevation, will time a quarter mile (not using that one), and of course mileage and trip miles.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post
...... I have to keep the truck's speed steady for a while for the speedo app to catch up.
Abe, you should have no problem doing that....keeping stuff you forgot was there balanced on the truck going down the road.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by topmoo View Post
I can't look at my phone when driving since I get mad when I see someone else doing it. I get behind people often at a stop sign or a green light that are too busy with their phone to go.
I have a GPS speedo from Speed Hut that is great, shows rpm's, elevation, will time a quarter mile (not using that one), and of course mileage and trip miles.
That got me thinking. I have a garmin gps running watch. I have it set to minutes/mile, but it will do mph for cyclists. That watch tracks speed over time, average per mile, elevation.... I could turn that on for a trip and see all sorts of info about my trip. I might have to do that sometime. I can even upload the info to the web and share.....hmmmm...next time I drive to Jeff City....