Drilling Holes in Truck Bed - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Drilling Holes in Truck Bed

Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Craeshe
New User
Craeshe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Drilling Holes in Truck Bed

Hey
Guys and Gals.....I bought my truck about a year ago, found that the rhino line it had installed was flaking and peeling. The truck bed has warped over time. I have a new rhino line installed now, but i wanted to ask if it was possible to drill holes in the low line of the warps? It hold water pretty bad.

Chris

Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
I think removingbthe bed and hammering back out would be the best route than to drill the bed.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Garden Spyder
Post Fiend
Garden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant future
I have no idea if this would work, but maybe grabbing a 2x4 and put it under the bed in the low spots flat against the bottom of the bed and see if you can put a vertical post under it to lift it with a car jack to push that back up?
Maybe its a terrible idea, but I am just throwing that out there to see if it might help?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:35 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Craeshe View Post
i wanted to ask if it was possible to drill holes in the low line of the warps? It hold water pretty bad.
I'd first try and shim the liner to get rid of the low spots and improve drainage. I would drill holes only as a last resort, but if you do, be sure to treat the holes to protect the exposed metal. I would also run a bead of silicone around the hole between the liner and bed just to keep water from getting between the two.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Garden Spyder
Post Fiend
Garden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant futureGarden Spyder has a brilliant future
If I am looking at that picture right, I think it is a sprayed in liner, not one of the nylon ones. Am I right?

Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Garden Spyder
Post Fiend
so.. 6 posts total, wonder if he is coming back to read this?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Bob P1
Freshman User
Bob P1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea, all our trucks hold water "pretty bad" in the bed. Drive it up an incline...

Old 12-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Craeshe
New User
Craeshe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder View Post
so.. 6 posts total, wonder if he is coming back to read this?
Yah, i am. I didn't know you needed a response...lol

Old 12-31-2018, 03:17 PM
tbear853
Posting Guru
tbear853 has a very good reputation on FTE.tbear853 has a very good reputation on FTE.tbear853 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Years ago, like early '80s, I was looking for a 4x4 and this car lot had a used late '70s Chevy 3/4 ton, new brown paint, new tires, nice wheels, etc, new drop in bed liner too .. looked good overall. Salesman was there when I dropped tailgate and lifted cover … looked like a war zone happened. Bed floor was "warped" worse than this one, found out truck was owned by a mining company over in "West by God" Virginia …. I passed on that truck. I think they dropped dozer tracks in it.

… I never seen one warped like this between ribs, but seen them bent & beat, … looks like a load did that then spray in over top to hide it.

Truck will still do the job you want, but it's seen some heavy load, likely dropped in.