Synthetic Motorcraft 5W-40 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Synthetic Motorcraft 5W-40

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM
lawnspecialties
Senior User
lawnspecialties is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lawnspecialties is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

This might be a silly question. But I want to be 100% sure.

When Ford came out with that bulletin about the oil requirements for the 6.7L, there was more to it than just CJ-4. I forgot all the letters and numbers but I do remember seeing on here somewhere somebody posted a sheet of all the approved oils for the 6.7L and of all things Motorcraft Synthetic was not on it.

I have been trying to keep my 6.7L completely Ford because 1. My servicing dealer parts dept. does me very well and 2. In the unlikely event I have a major warranty claim on the engine, nothing but Motorcraft DEF, PM-22, and oil have been in this truck. I even buy all my fuel at only one particular Speedway Station in case of any "water in fuel" issues.

So to confirm, is the Motorcraft 5W-40 Synthetic Oil OK?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:34 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
This might be a silly question. But I want to be 100% sure.

When Ford came out with that bulletin about the oil requirements for the 6.7L, there was more to it than just CJ-4. I forgot all the letters and numbers but I do remember seeing on here somewhere somebody posted a sheet of all the approved oils for the 6.7L and of all things Motorcraft Synthetic was not on it.

I have been trying to keep my 6.7L completely Ford because 1. My servicing dealer parts dept. does me very well and 2. In the unlikely event I have a major warranty claim on the engine, nothing but Motorcraft DEF, PM-22, and oil have been in this truck. I even buy all my fuel at only one particular Speedway Station in case of any "water in fuel" issues.

Absolutely as is the Shell, Valvoline and many others.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is the list you are speaking of. Last update was May 15, 2018 and the Motorcraft Synthetic is included. Any oil on this list can be used in the Power Stroke Diesel Engines.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

Old 07-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
You can search on the Motorcraft Site for approved oils here...

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...archdiesel.asp

Or check the latest Oil Spec Approval list here...

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM
lawnspecialties
Senior User
lawnspecialties is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lawnspecialties is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks everyone. Going to pick up the oil this afternoon.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks everyone. Going to pick up the oil this afternoon.
I follow the sales. Any approved oil on sale is what she gets. I use 5W40 synthetic. Napa has the Valvoline 5W40 on sale quite often as does Amazon.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 PM
lawnspecialties
Senior User
Well, just finished up with the oil change. Just over 10,000 miles on the truck and the second change. But the first time with 5W-40 synthetic.

As some have mentioned, the truck was noticeably quieter at idle. Tomorrow, it goes back to work plus we have two big distance camping trips coming up in the next couple of weeks. I'm glad I did it.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I just bought the Valvoline Premium Blue on sale at Autozone for $13 a gallon.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:10 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I just bought the Valvoline Premium Blue on sale at Autozone for $13 a gallon.
Don't think that's the Extreme 5W40.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Don't think that's the Extreme 5W40.
You are riight. It was the 15W40
Glad I only bought one gallon of it, Can use it on the lawn mower and tiller.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:22 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Don't get me all excited like that. I was about to run down to Auto Zone and clean them out!

Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 PM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
I just get mine changed at the dealer. Parts guy is a friend so I get it from him than just tell them the oil is in the bed of the truck. I also get my filters from parts guy. Now since parts guy is so cool I buy all my parts from him.