Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mods That Didn't Live Up To Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You made me go take a quick look. It looks like it was mentioned 5 times in a negative manner prior to your post.

Stewart
My phone crashed this week while on the road. Had to pick up a pre paid pos to get me through. Just got home to my replacement today. Haven't been on this week.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
I don't know why so many people have problems with the mod...
I would fail my smog inspection.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
We don't have that here, I don't know how you people put up with living in that state.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
We don't have that here, I don't know how you people put up with living in that state.
We are far from the only state that does this, we just get the attention because we're the strictest.

Stewart

Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm old and didn't want to lose my grab handle on the A pillar.
You have a grab handle on the driver's side A pillar??? I wonder what else the 03 has that the 02 doesn't?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Subscribing.... Love my 'mods'.... just can not remember what is stock and what is after market....???

Pull up handle on the drivers side? I thought that was what the steering wheel was for.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm old and didn't want to lose my grab handle on the A pillar.
My '03 F-350 has front leveling kit, and taller than stock tires.

I'm over 50.

I agree.

Am considering adding an EGT gauge somewhere someday, just not going to give up the grab handle to have it.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I reversed the CCV on the valve cover and ran the line behind the back of the valve cover back to my exhaust. If you don't know what your looking for you would never know. The inspector looked right at it to LMAO. Passed smog no problem.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
You have a grab handle on the driver's side A pillar??? I wonder what else the 03 has that the 02 doesn't?
Fine thread wheel studs and an FX4 sticker.

I don’t know if they did a revision to the programming but mine was rated at 250 Hp and 525 lb-ft.

Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
Am considering adding an EGT gauge somewhere someday, just not going to give up the grab handle to have it.
That's why I went with an overhead pod above the rear view mirror...

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
I reversed the CCV on the valve cover and ran the line behind the back of the valve cover back to my exhaust. If you don't know what your looking for you would never know. The inspector looked right at it to LMAO. Passed smog no problem.
They are getting smarter. My visual inspection went from 5 minutes two years ago to 15 minutes this last round earlier this year . Less and less gets by them as the years go by but I can still get my Hydra and single shots through .

Old 07-13-2018, 05:33 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or how about the Zoodad mod? Or the secret Zoodad mod. I did one at a time to see how they effected my IAT here in Phoenix. The first one I saw a 20* drop at speed the other maybe 2* at speed. Wouldn't recommend it to someone in a wet climate.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The engine was designed to have the crankcase vented into the air that's how all the t444e engines are in commercial vehicles, the 5.9 Cummins trucks also have the crankcase vented into the air. I did the CCV mod because I didn't like having oil vapors seeping out of the intercooler connections and collecting dust, I don't know why so many people have problems with the mod, my crank case vent has been on for 4 years and never given me a problem.
I won't dispute the open-to-air CCV on a commercial vehicle, but mom doesn't drive a school bus to get groceries. Commercial trucks are expected to sound, feel, and smell like a truck... not so much with a family vehicle. CCV has been vented to the intake on every vehicle I've owned, including my boats... so this is not a new concept. As for the intercooler and intake system - CCV adds a little oil to prevent corrosion from the condensation that takes place on any compressed air system. Ever wonder why oilers are added to air compressors?

For those under the impression the intercooler fills up with oil - this picture was taken looking toward the bottom at about 275K miles:

Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
We are far from the only state that does this, we just get the attention because we're the strictest.

Stewart
Yup, true story. my question with this mod, as with a few others, is this. I have seen these trucks run 500,000 miles with out it being done. Why does anyone think they are gaining when doing it? It really doesn't hurt anything to have oil mist running through there. But if someone wants the stink and the hassle, more power to 'em I guess. You'll find OBS owners are notorious for modding EVERYTHING they can to SD standards on their trucks (belt tensioners, UCVH, OH pod mounts, intercooler stuff, etc....) yet talk about how boring or dumb the SD is....makes me laugh. But my point is, these mods they do don't gain any longevity or real performance, so what's the point? For example, when doing UVCH plugs and pigtails, I had no less than 10 guys hollering "go Superduty parts on this". My reply was, why? It's a PITA to do so and the stock setup went 20 years with no issues. I won't have the truck that long, so stock parts it is. You would have thought I told them to F off. It was bizarre. Then when I said, "I thought the SD was dumb?", that really pizzed some guys off. LOLOLOL!!!!

Yes, there are some mods that are definitely worth it, but most of them IMO, are just placebo effect.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
The ONLY way I would accomplish the CCV re-route is by the Y2KW57 or BLUEMAX65 method.

Y2KW57 has a piece designed to remove most of the oil vapor before going into the intake.

BLUEMAX65 has simply routed a line from the valve cover to the exhaust which eliminates all of the oil vapor from getting into the intake.

I see benefits of not having oil and having oil in the intake. All that said, my CCV is still intact the way it came from the factory, but if I am being honest I would say I am exploring my options due to the upcoming T4/SXE install.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:09 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Commercial trucks are expected to sound, feel, and smell like a truck... not so much with a family vehicle.
I always expect my truck to sound, feel and smell like a diesel truck, if I didn't want that then I wouldn't have a truck. Most people today just buy a truck because they think it's cool, and they don't really need one which is fine, but then they expect it to ride and sound like a car, that's why new trucks are getting more complex, more expensive to buy and work on, and are becoming less reliable, although the EPA also has a lot to do with it.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I always expect my truck to sound, feel and smell like a diesel truck, if I didn't want that then I wouldn't have a truck. Most people today just buy a truck because they think it's cool, and they don't really need one which is fine, but then they expect it to ride and sound like a car, that's why new trucks are getting more complex, more expensive to buy and work on, and are becoming less reliable, although the EPA also has a lot to do with it.
Amen!

There's a movie called "TREMORS: A COLD DAY IN HELL" where Michael Gross has a great quote that's my current fave:

Take a couple tablespoons of cement and harden the hell up!
You can search for the trailer and find the quote in the previews.

Quick Reply: Mods That Didn't Live Up To Expectations