Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mods That Didn't Live Up To Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'd say that our mods are doing as well as or better than expected, particularly Stewart.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
2) CCV mod - way to stinky, wife thought the truck was on fire
Hilarious! Reps sent.

Originally Posted by Tugly
While Banks has great engineering and marketing, the stuff is not all that and a bag of chips. There are cheaper ways to mod with real results.
Very true. Some of the price is tied up in making his stuff legal for us in CA. While there are better cost-effective ways to get more (and who doesn't want that), paying the "premium" allows some of us to not require removal and re-installation of said parts every 2 years. Outside of that you generally get less for more from them regarding 7.3L "upgrades".

Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
I can honestly say there isn't anything that I have done to mine that I regret, even the CCV mod I have mine dumped underneath and it's never given me an issue, and I have also never had a problem seeing at night with my pillar gauges.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad
1: HPX line. I saw no difference and it also leaked

Damn, thought I was the only one. Have had to replace the o-rings on it twice. It was giving the same headache as the filter housing drain valve....... Too bad we lost one of the original plugs, or it would have been removed completely.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
I'll be the first to throw this out there. LED light bulbs in stock tailight housing. Triple the price for the same level of brightness.​​​​
Must be a brand-type problem. I swapped out the OEM bulbs in my lifted '99 because the back window was tinted fairly dark, and the LED's I swapped in helped a bit, and were a little better than the OEM bulbs I replaced. The little light increase actually helped me a lot because the LED's are a harsher light, and it reflects off of hard surfaces better. One of those YMMV things.

A-pillar gauge mounts. If you live in the urbs or the burbs, disregard. If you are rural or just plain in the middle of nowhere - night vision is killed by the gauges in your face
Ever since my RK surgery over almost 30 years ago, my eyes became light sensitive (I have to wear sunglasses even on foggy days). With my gauges mounted on the A pillar, I have zero problems with glare or with having my night vision affected. Again, YMMV

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 07-10-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess I’ll add mine, the dual pyro and dual fuel pressure gauge set up, perhaps it is how the install was done, not entirely sure, clay thinks it may be a grounding issue, had the install diagnosed at the place that did it, and they say two sending unit are bad…was supposed to be a quick install of my isspro v2’s guess I need to talk to isspro as well…I dread doing so

Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
I can honestly say there isn't anything that I have done to mine that I regret, even the CCV mod I have mine dumped underneath and it's never given me an issue
I actually ran mine back into the exhaust system just past the transfer case with a one way valve. Works like a charm.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:32 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by empiretc
Damn, thought I was the only one. Have had to replace the o-rings on it twice...Too bad we lost one of the original plugs, or it would have been removed completely.
#8-044 Oil Rail Plug - Engine O-rings and Gaskets - 1999-2003 Ford 7.3L

Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I understood the HID craze - it's new and it's bright. I know they can be brighter, but it's a lot of expense and hardship when waiting for LEDs or just buying a brighter bulb would have sufficed. I look at HID like I look at CFLs - it's just an interim technology between incandescent and LED.
Since you quoted me...
I actually like them, the color emitted, I had great visibility.

But, coming back from a trip to SD somewhere near St Louis the light went out (we usually pull an "all-nighter" driving from SD to GA) and then the other side went out at dusk. On the vast rural interstate we could have made it on Hi-beams, but what the heck take another half day to come back, in safety. Time to pull over and find a campground.

The way they were set up you couldn't just go the Irish parts store and buy a bulb.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will say there is a huge difference in the A pillar gauge pod on an OBS Ford and a Super Duty Ford. I was kind of sad at first when I saw where mine sat because it blocks some of the corner of my windshield, but I just lean forward a little bit and it's fine.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
An aftermarket max A/C assist that failed from day one. Tech support told me it was a weak vacuum pump despite vent changes working fine and ESOF working fine. Turns out that the valve would not close all the way and the A/C was producing ever so slightly cooler air.

I removed it, smashed it with a large 3 pound hammer and laughed. The POS part smashing somewhat flat to the concrete driveway were the best results I had seen from that device since I overpaid for it.

I have since installed the Ranger/Excursion Ford valve (not leaking, knock on wood) and the A/C is blowing much cooler air. Should have just done that from the start. If the Ford valve does fail, I will try again and if that one fails, I will install a manual ball valve.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
A-pillar gauge mounts. If you live in the urbs or the burbs, disregard. If you are rural or just plain in the middle of nowhere - night vision is killed by the gauges in your face.
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
...I just lean forward a little bit and it's fine.
I'm old and didn't want to lose my grab handle on the A pillar.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't read this entire thread so it may have already been mentioned. I think the CCV (Crank Case Vent) mod that people do is rediculous. To me it serves no purpose and only adds smell and smoke. The amount of oil vapors and mist that enters the intercooler is miniscule. JMHO

Old 07-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I haven't read this entire thread so it may have already been mentioned.....
You made me go take a quick look. It looks like it was mentioned 5 times in a negative manner prior to your post.

Stewart

Old 07-13-2018, 12:46 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I haven't read this entire thread so it may have already been mentioned. I think the CCV (Crank Case Vent) mod that people do is rediculous. To me it serves no purpose and only adds smell and smoke. The amount of oil vapors and mist that enters the intercooler is miniscule. JMHO
The engine was designed to have the crankcase vented into the air that's how all the t444e engines are in commercial vehicles, the 5.9 Cummins trucks also have the crankcase vented into the air. I did the CCV mod because I didn't like having oil vapors seeping out of the intercooler connections and collecting dust, I don't know why so many people have problems with the mod, my crank case vent has been on for 4 years and never given me a problem.

Quick Reply: Mods That Didn't Live Up To Expectations