1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Its gotta be my imagination, better shifting after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its gotta be my imagination, better shifting after oil change?

For the last week ive been driving the thing in stock mode hoping to pass Calif. smog requirements. Today was the big day and it went off like clock work. Got the smog test done and before leaving the parking lot it was already in safe tow mode. A quick flash of the credit card and 25 quarts later the engine, 6 speed trans, & T Case have all had a synthetic transfusion. Then I had to dispose of the used oil requiring a test drive of course. All this to say it really seems to shift eaiser! Imposible isnt it? Changing oil cant have an effect on shifting can it? Ive convienced myself now that im in getty up and go mode instead of the sluggard stock mode that im noticing the quicker shifts out of necessity? Anyone else experience this fanomanon? Just trying to stay sane guys! Oh Lord I love this truck when its not in the stock mode...

Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The trans oil change can definitely change how it shifts, I see no reason to doubt that. Especially if you changed the type or weight of the oil.

BTW, I found with my '02 Ex that the monitors needed for smog set within minutes, unlike a gasser that can take an eternity. I was borrowing a friend's SuperChips 1705 programmer plus doing experiments which triggered the MIL so I had to clear the computer. I set out to drive for the day so I could get the smog. Stopped at McD's just a couple miles from the house and decided to check, the monitors were already set, IIRC there's only 2. Even my smog guy was shocked when I told him.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
The trans oil change can definitely change how it shifts, I see no reason to doubt that. Especially if you changed the type or weight of the oil.

BTW, I found with my '02 Ex that the monitors needed for smog set within minutes, unlike a gasser that can take an eternity. I was borrowing a friend's SuperChips 1705 programmer plus doing experiments which triggered the MIL so I had to clear the computer. I set out to drive for the day so I could get the smog. Stopped at McD's just a couple miles from the house and decided to check, the monitors were already set, IIRC there's only 2. Even my smog guy was shocked when I told him.
Same experience here. Was set to drive up a good climb a few thousand feet but checked it at the bottom with the controller. It was good to go! Pleasnt suprise to say the least. Maybe I shouldnt second guess the shifting thing?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by '88 E-350

Very good information! AND I always "feel" like my car/truck/bike runs better when I change the oil/fluids. It's an anomaly many of us who love our toys share.