Frame ride on the '49 F3 - with two videos - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Frame ride on the '49 F3 - with two videos

Old 07-08-2018, 02:11 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Talking Frame ride on the '49 F3 - with two videos

Am slowly getting the F3 ready for the road. Of course it is best to try out the drive train before the chassis is cluttered with unnecessary stuff like a cab, starter switch, gas pedal, bench seat, windsheld and things like that.

Here I am almost ready to drive it to the Penn Truckstock in September. I figured I'd take a drive down into the lake. My neighbors were impressed and nobody called the cops, even though I almost ran over a dog along the way. They remember when this truck was 'lawn art' as noted in my signature photo. My wife held onto the lawn chair frame and stood on the running board bracket to take the first video.

No accelerator pedal, i just turned up the idle and motored around that way.

The T-98 I got from our own JMadsen is shifting like a champ. Other parts I got from some of you members are either attached or soon to be. Where's the sheet metal? Half of it is still at the body shop after 15 months!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nOm...w?usp=drivesdk

and another:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AHm...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by pineconeford; 07-08-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added the photos
Old 07-08-2018, 02:44 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Loved the videos! You've got to be proud of that first drive! You live in a beautiful area. It reminds me of where my Aunt lived in Booth Bay.
Mark

Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I thought you were going into that lake!! Congrats on the drive!

Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Looks good! Sounds good! Now get after that paint guy!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks great!....... you did a nice job on it......the engineers at ford have nothing on your seat configuration!...... lol.....at least blow up a balloon and tape it to your steering wheel.......that way at least you have an airbag!.......

Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
That looks like almost more fun than guy should be allowed to have. Way cool, Tom!
Kudo's to the wife, too, for hanging on that long with one hand filming the evidence!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Marauder2004
Elder User
Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.
I love it! Really enjoyed the ride down to the lake. The old truck is looking and sounding great!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 AM
3twinridges
Posting Guru
3twinridges has a great reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a great reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a great reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a great reputation on FTE.
Nothing like grit in your eye and bugs in your teeth, nice progress.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Loved the videos. And kudos to your brave wife with a steady hand. That must seem like riding a four-wheeled motorcycle. Sounds great too.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Looks great Tom. At least there is no snow on it I thought that you were going to drive it into the lake in the first video. I doesn't look too amphibious to me.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 PM
artscott61
Elder User
artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.
Somebody is having a Blast you also have a good wife.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
and no blind spots when you're backing up !!!

nice job

j

Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future

Thanks guys,

Yes I did have a blast running that truck frame around. Burned about 1-1/2 gallons of gas doing road trials.
Found a couple of leaks, a couple of mis-aligned parts, a broken exhaust hanger and such during the tests. All good things to find BEFORE the sheetmetal goes on and makes it harder to reach and spot. I highly recommend doing a frame ride before you get too far along. It is a hoot.
My wife didn't need encouragement to jump aboard the frame and hang on for a trip to the lake. She can be a 10-year-old just like me at times. It was a great way to be seen by our new neighbors down the road, acting like redneck goofballs the first time they saw us. Too bad I didn't have a horn hooked up.
I now have the cab mounted on the chassis and have begun the joy of crawling under the dash to attach things like the defrost ducts, wiper motor & linkage and cowl vent assembly. They all try to occupy the same space!
One step closer to the Pennsylvania truckstock in September. Hope to have it ready by then. And meet some of you other goofballs.
Tom

p.s. - this truck has not been on the road since 1968. The registration was still in the glove box, and a copy of Farm Journal magazine from 1967 under the seat. That F3 waited 50-years to get on the road again.
This photo is where it rested since Woodstock days....

Last edited by pineconeford; 07-10-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to all
That is awesome Tom. Love the video's
chassis looks really nice. Can't wait to see it with the body all back on.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
I loved the videos. Did you dip your tires in the lake? Man it looked close. I would have been afraid of not stopping getting that close.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frame ride on the '49 F3 - with two videos

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.