2002 SD 7.3 shifted from 2H to 4L on its own? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2002 SD 7.3 shifted from 2H to 4L on its own?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 PM
cbuttre835
New User
cbuttre835 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Had a new gremlin show up tonight.

Driving on a straight, smooth, flat stretch of road about 60 mph, I feel a little jerk, and then hear gears grinding. I saw the 4x4 and Low Range (or whatever it says) lamps on. I kicked it into neutral, and as I slowed on down it finally slammed into 4L.

I rigged up a 12V jumper wire and tested the motor by unplugging the 2-wire connector on the pass side of the ESOF actuator. It would try to turn but I never got the t-case out of 4L. I took the back roads on home.

I understand that I can pull that module and shift it back to 2H. actuator

What would cause this, though? I know of another truck that did the same thing, but it was built from a donor cab / bed swapped onto a rolling chassis. I chalked that up to a wiring gremlin. Should I start chasing electrical stuff, or is it a common thing for the ESOF actuator to do this?

Is there a manual shift lever retrofit?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Similar older thread.....no quick fix though

other threads indicate wiring issues into the 4Wd shifter case

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ay-speeds.html

Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 AM
cbuttre835
New User
cbuttre835 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found the two relays - I think, in a small mount next to the master cylinder, had an orange and yellow heavy conductor from them which appears to go to the actuator motor. Anyhow, when I pulled them they were warm to the touch. I have 12V across both coils - (85 and 86) - a schematic I found indicated that the 86 terminal was full-time energized and the 85 terminal has ground applied to suck in the relay. That is, term 86 to chassis reads 12V (as expected), term 85 to hot reads 12V - I wouldn't expect this.

Anywho, I pulled the actuator motor so I could shift to 2H. I applied 12V to the 2 terminals in both polarities, and got no movement. I removed the plastic motor cover and the motor smells burnt, and the varnish has cooked out, also indicating this.

I assume the 4x4 control module behind the glove box supervises the operating of these relays and actuator. So, is this thing failing a common occurrence, or should I start tracing the wire harness and look for unintentional grounds?

The schematic I found is here: https://goo.gl/images/QS2MNu

TIA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.