Sponsored by:

This V10 is horrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 PM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
The tunes for a 6.8 really don't bump the power up much on the engine but it's the trans shift strategy improvements that make the biggest change for a tow rig. Custom tunes match the shift points under load to the engine output much better than the factory tune. I think that the 7.3's factory tune is better matched to the engines output but I think most good tunes for them still make some changes to optimize the matchup better. I wouldn't say that either rig NEEDS a tuner, but both sure do see a decent benefit from one.

Tom, since you mentioned the tuner... The first couple of trips, I was very careful to use the tow tune and run 93 octane gas. I did try the 93 octane performance tune but didn't like the shift points. Last trip out, I filled it up with 87 and forgot to change the tune from 87 perf to 87 tow until the trip back. The 87 perf tune worked better and I will never waste my money on 93 octane gas again because I didn't see any difference in performance nor did I experience any pinging or other signs of detonation.
As far as the diesel vs gas thing, each of us has an intended purpose for our vehicle. All this crowing about which one is better is totally irrelevant and serves no purpose whatsoever. My V10 does what I need it to do and it does it well. YMMV.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by loganj01
All this crowing about which one is better is totally irrelevant and serves no purpose whatsoever. My V10 does what I need it to do and it does it well. YMMV.

Could not agree more. I have no issue towing what I do at the speed limit or greater even with my 3.73's when it was on stock size tires. I have not tried it since upping to a 34.2" tire I know it'll be worse for sure. Put your foot to the floor before the bottom of the mountain/hill and you'll surpass the speed limit and be just fine by the top in my experience.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree with most.....but the 5.4 back stabbing.

I certainly would not pass up a good X 4x4 with that motor. They are cheap, because everyone craps on them, but my 4th X will be a good 4x4 with a 5.4.

The only references to FI are for elevation corrections due to hp and tq losses at those elevations. I live and work at an elevation of 6800 to 8000 ft. That's 3000 ft above the mile high city of Denver .....just for reference.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Kai Herrmann
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to rob you of your fun, but I have never suggested that the V-10 needs any kind of forced induction, my engine is still exactly as Ford built it with the exception of the Banks headers. Do I think it sounds like fun, you bet! Adding a turbo or blower to any NA vehicles sounds like a fun toy but I need my tow rig to be super reliable and to me, the addition of FI seems like a step away from that goal.
Right, I don't want my tow rig to be my project truck. It needs to be simple, reliable and ready to go at any time.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Kai Herrmann
Tuned
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Could not agree more. I have no issue towing what I do at the speed limit or greater even with my 3.73's when it was on stock size tires. I have not tried it since upping to a 34.2" tire I know it'll be worse for sure. Put your foot to the floor before the bottom of the mountain/hill and you'll surpass the speed limit and be just fine by the top in my experience.
I"m on 32.6" tires and pulling 8k lbs. The truck did not like any hills at all and certainly not any mountains. Foot to the floor almost the entire trip just trying to keep it at 70 except on flat ground. The headwinds in Texas going west on I40 had me in 2nd gear at 4200 rpm just trying to keep it at 60mph. At the top of Loveland Pass in Colorado, I was in 1st gear, 22mph, WOT, and that's all it had.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Kai Herrmann
Tuned
Just to keep it on topic, I"ve decided to go with a gear set and see how it does. A Jeep buddy of mine can set them up, so install won't cost me anything except some pizza and beer, as long as I do the heavy work. 4.88s will be ordered in the next few days. Let's hope I'm not disappointed!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:29 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Herrmann
Right, I don't want my tow rig to be my project truck. It needs to be simple, reliable and ready to go at any time.
exactly! Which is why if you do the gears you will be good to go!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Gears is what most people tend to do.

Just be careful with them, 99% of the time there are no issues.....but be advised:

4LO with 3.73 has an effective gear ratio of 8.20

With 4.88 the effective gear ratio is 13.3!!!

It's exponential as you can see.

This is because the transfer case 4LO multiplies by about 2.72.

That gear ratio is extremely LOW, so be careful if you use 4LO.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Superbee24
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kai. Keep us updated on the gears. I also am looking to do a gear change to get the rpms a little lower.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superbee24
Kai. Keep us updated on the gears. I also am looking to do a gear change to get the rpms a little lower.
Going to a higher numerical ratio will increase your rpm at any given speed. For example, if you change from 3.73's to 4.88's, you'll see a substantial increase in rpm. If you go the other way, you'll see a drop in rpm but towing would be nearly impossible.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Comments on a few of the above posts;
Rock, I was kidding about the 5.4, those little engines are really quite reliable and there are tons of them still getting it done every day, just not enough umph for my usage. I use 2LOW range all the time backing the big TT into sites and up my driveway, that super deep reduction makes slow speed control very nice with little effort and Mark recommends this to help avoid overheating the input seal on the trans while reversing under load. I couldn't live at that altitude, i'm scared of heights!
Kia, with your 32.6" tire's I think you will be happy with those new deep gears, maybe not the equal of the old hot rod D-Max but it will be much improved from your recent trip.
Russ, I know you are a skinny guy but have a heavy right foot , but even at my combined 19K-ish weight I have never gone to WOT while towing, most that I have used is about 75/80% throttle opening and I ain't holding up traffic behind me.
1 EX Camper, I'll buy when we finally get together!, and that hold true for the rest of you guys too!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Superbee24
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha.... understood on the rpms being higher... what I meant to say was that with 4.56s.. I can use my OD which I dont with 3.73s and make full use of all 4 gears/speeds and it would not downshift as much which in turn would give me lower RPMs ... does that make sense???

Old 07-19-2018, 06:50 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to comment on the uhaul truck. All vans since 99 including chassis cabs have either the 2v 5.4 or the 2v 6.8 v10.
A E350 could have a v8 in it but usually it’s the v10, especially if it’s a dually.. If it’s a E450 then it’s only the v10. That would be the exact engine that’s in our Ex’s. Horsepower and torque numbers have stayed the same. The E350 would have a 40 gallon gas tank and the E450 would have a 55 gallon tank. The E 350 would have 4:10 gears and 245-75-16” tires and the E450 would have 4:56 gears with the same size tire. The 245-75-16 are 30.64” tall, a real weenie tire but that helps your final gear ratio.
I would also agree that checking the cat would be a good idea. There is a YouTube video on how to do it, it takes 5 minutes.
I have 285-70-17 which are 32.7 “ tall and I have 4:30 gears, if I were to do it again I would go with 4:56. I find that my sweet spot for towing is right at 67mph, it just cruises along pulling my 8500lb camper. When I come to a hill it downshifts into third and goes right up, rarely do I need 2nd gear.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you go to 4:88’s, be careful driving in the rain. I can roast my tires on dry pavement with 4:30’s when not towing, when the roads are wet, I’m very careful.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Kai Herrmann
Tuned
Originally Posted by rock2610d
Gears is what most people tend to do.

Just be careful with them, 99% of the time there are no issues.....but be advised:

4LO with 3.73 has an effective gear ratio of 8.20

With 4.88 the effective gear ratio is 13.3!!!

It's exponential as you can see.

This is because the transfer case 4LO multiplies by about 2.72.

That gear ratio is extremely LOW, so be careful if you use 4LO.
I'm actually looking forward to that. I had a Toyota truck built on 42s and one tons with the dual transfer case setup and 4.7:1 gears in the rear case. Low range was fantastic for crawling. We do a little wheeling in the tow rig sometimes so the extra low range will be nice.

Comments on a few of the above posts;
Rock, I was kidding about the 5.4, those little engines are really quite reliable and there are tons of them still getting it done every day, just not enough umph for my usage. I use 2LOW range all the time backing the big TT into sites and up my driveway, that super deep reduction makes slow speed control very nice with little effort and Mark recommends this to help avoid overheating the input seal on the trans while reversing under load. I couldn't live at that altitude, i'm scared of heights!
Kia, with your 32.6" tire's I think you will be happy with those new deep gears, maybe not the equal of the old hot rod D-Max but it will be much improved from your recent trip.
Russ, I know you are a skinny guy but have a heavy right foot , but even at my combined 19K-ish weight I have never gone to WOT while towing, most that I have used is about 75/80% throttle opening and I ain't holding up traffic behind me.
1 EX Camper, I'll buy when we finally get together!, and that hold true for the rest of you guys too!
One funny thing, monitoring throttle position on the SCT tuner, the most I could see before kickdown was about 64%. I was going to check that out soon to see if the actual throttle opening matches what the ecu is seeing. I have a better scan tool to do that with too.

Haha.... understood on the rpms being higher... what I meant to say was that with 4.56s.. I can use my OD which I dont with 3.73s and make full use of all 4 gears/speeds and it would not downshift as much which in turn would give me lower RPMs ... does that make sense???
That's what I'm looking for, to be able to use OD while towing, and 3rd to get up the really long grades without losing so much speed as to drop to 2nd.

Originally Posted by dualwheels66
When you go to 4:88’s, be careful driving in the rain. I can roast my tires on dry pavement with 4:30’s when not towing, when the roads are wet, I’m very careful.
I bet... That's ok, my last truck was a Duramax making about 850 lb ft , it would get sideways on onramps at 60 mph if I wasn't careful.

Quick Reply: This V10 is horrible