Water Methanol Injection - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Methanol Injection

Old 07-07-2018, 06:02 AM
F1 coyote
Senior User
F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.
Water Methanol Injection

I've just purchased a 2016 6.7 and I'm concerned about the egr/dpf issues, anyone have any experience with water methanol injection to help keep things cleaner?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I've got a buddy who just did this. I texted him your thread. Hopefully he'll stop by to help with details. I don't know much but I do know he's VERY happy with his system.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
Good day gents, how may I be of assistance. Heheheheh.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:52 PM
F1 coyote
Senior User
F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm considering a full egr/dpf delete. I like the idea of keeping the intake and exhaust clean, it can only help in keeping the truck running for a long time. I was thinking if I swapped DEF fluid for water methanol it should have the same effect, rather than re-burnning unburnt fuel then cleaning up the exhaust with an exhaust fluid, why not just try to get a more complete burn through a better breathing engine with the water methanol injection. It seems to me you would get better performance, reliability and longevity. Am I nuts or does this make more sense? I'd much more rather use a performance system with the water methanol than trying to unchoke a choked engine with DEF fluid. What ya think.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 PM
hoseclamp
Senior User
hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.hoseclamp has a great reputation on FTE.
I can only comment on a full emission truck with methanol, not a deleted truck with methanol added

Old 07-08-2018, 05:49 AM
F1 coyote
Senior User
Ok, I'm still in the research stage haven't done the delete, so how well does it work with all the EPA stuff still intact?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by F1 coyote View Post
Ok, I'm still in the research stage haven't done the delete, so how well does it work with all the EPA stuff still intact?
Snow Performance makes their MaxMPG system which is 50 state legal and has a CARB EO number. I am interested in this system myself but at a later date as I am not independently wealthy.

Here is some FAQs to help you.

I've conversed with Hoseclamp before. I believe he goes over the 500 mile Regen interval with his methanol injection system and his EGTs while towing are lower.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Senior User
jfritz_drfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm considering a full egr/dpf delete. I like the idea of keeping the intake and exhaust clean, it can only help in keeping the truck running for a long time. I was thinking if I swapped DEF fluid for water methanol it should have the same effect, rather than re-burnning unburnt fuel then cleaning up the exhaust with an exhaust fluid, why not just try to get a more complete burn through a better breathing engine with the water methanol injection. It seems to me you would get better performance, reliability and longevity. Am I nuts or does this make more sense? I'd much more rather use a performance system with the water methanol than trying to unchoke a choked engine with DEF fluid. What ya think.
Not sure I understand what you are saying.DEF and water methanol are for different purposes. WAter methanol adds power due to combustion of the methanol and the water has an effect of cooling which also helps. DEF (urea) is a catalyst which helps to break down the NOX. Urea does not increase power except that trucks which are designed to use DEF have by design lower exhaust gas recirculating which helps efficiency and reduces the quantity of particulate emissions. DEF is an after treatment and is injected into the exhaust, I have no idea what would happen if you injected it into the intake (likely not good since it is corrosive to paint). I also doubt whether water methanol will increase longevity of your engine since it increases power beyond stock levels (not withstanding the cooling of the intake charge)

Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
F1 coyote
Senior User
I'm not having any problems with the engine, it's just the idea of recirculating all that exhaust back into the engine. The way I understand the water methanol is it not only helps in cooling down the EGT's, but it also helps the fuel to burn more completely. So if I can get a better burn with cooler EGT's, why would you need to recirculate the exhaust back through the intake then filter the exhaust that gets by that system. I don't know, but it seems to me if you can achieve a more efficient and cooler burn you wouldn't need to recirculate the exhaust back through the intake then use a particulate filter to trap the rest, then after all that regenerate to burn off the residue. I don't know just seems like there has to be a better way.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 PM
cappa
Senior User
cappa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is it's called a full delete kit, lol

Old 07-10-2018, 05:40 AM
F1 coyote
Senior User
Yes a Shakespearian dilemma " To delete or not delete " that is the question.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd love to delete after my warranty is up but I'm in the liberal state of New York. Some states have emissions testing for diesels and while NYS only does it in the Big Apple, I don't trust the State Police and DEC guys that may have a hard ** for deleted trucks. Other states have emissions testing for our light duty trucks. I don't want to take that chance on getting stopped here in New York or While on a road trip out of state. They can do a visual inspection looking for the EGR stuff and the DPF.

While deleting will take care of using the EGR system,or rather not using it, your engine can still gain benefits from using a methanol injection system. More complete combustion reducing soot, lower EGTs and more power. If you plan on staying legal, the engine will stay cleaner by using methanol injection. Just my 2 cents. Good luck w your decision.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 PM
jimmystoys
Senior User
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've also thought of a water-meth system. I've been deleted and tuned since new. Always looking to add power and lowering temps...seems like the right system, however, I've also been warned that it can increase your combustion pressures, which I'm thinking is not good?! I've had my boost up to 35-38psi...pretty high I'm guessing on a stock motor, but I'm no expert. Not to steal the thread but I hope this adds to the query.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 AM
F1 coyote
Senior User
From what I've read I think you can program the methanol to cycle on and off at boost pressures you choose. The banks power system seems to have a program that tracks your boost to cycle with the methanol squirts as the boost rises and falls to keep everything efficient. BTW hows the delete going? My concerns are with the tunes and possible engine codes that might pop up. Any issues with yours?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM
jimmystoys
Senior User
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I've read I think you can program the methanol to cycle on and off at boost pressures you choose. The banks power system seems to have a program that tracks your boost to cycle with the methanol squirts as the boost rises and falls to keep everything efficient. BTW hows the delete going? My concerns are with the tunes and possible engine codes that might pop up. Any issues with yours?
Runs very well. Had it deleted since new. Have about 110k miles now. With my tuner I could clear whatever codes after I understood them. When I went to my dealer with (minor) issues, non engine related, in order for them to scan it properly I had to return it to stock file and no start for them to scan. That's the only way. My dealer has been cool to work with. Thats why they get all my servicing. If they don't do it, I would pay someone else. Makes business sense to all. I will admit after all these miles the only major issue was recently when my exhaust manifold bolt broke creating an ugly whistling sound during acceleration. Fairly big job. Had to tear the top end off including the turbo. They were more than happy to repair, even suggested a few items to replace while all was apart. They did a good job and didnt even charge extra for workin on my truck. It's quite a bit higher than a stock truck and a bit awkward to work on with the lift.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Methanol Injection

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: