Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Do these tuners really add 100hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these tuners really add 100hp

So i picked up a 1999 e350 7.3 powerstroke van with 175k miles on it. My 2 goals are to make it a bit faster and make the turbo louder. So heres my questions

what tuner should i go for? I see all these outrageous claims of 100hp/tq increases. It cant be as simple as plugging something into my obd2 port and gaining that kind of power. Id also be worried about over taxing a high mileage engine.

Does this truck have a cat? I crawled under and it appears to be all straight pipe except for the muffler. Id have to assume it hasnt been modified

how do i know if this is a 1999 or a 1999.5? Is there a difference? Thanks!

Vin number: 1FTSS34F2XHB24284

Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel side of the Fordce!

Short answer; no. Most a tune can really add to stock sticks is about 60hp. Ford/IH left some power on the bench to make the engine bullet-proof, but not a lot. My DP tuner claims up to 120hp on the race tune but my butt-dyno says otherwise. Chips and tunes are a giant subject, you can research for days. For your stated goals I'd go traditional with a DP F5 if you want switch on the fly. Not the newest platform but gets you a handful of tunes for power, but more importantly transmission tuning. That plays a big role in the performance of the rig. Other options are a Hydra, DP F6 or Infinity, or a basic TS chip. Any tune adding power should be accompanied by some gauges like EGT. Or maybe just send the PCM to DP or whoever and have a solid tow tune flashed on there and never worry about it again.

Check for a sticker on the underside of the hood, it will declare if the truck came with a cat originally. IIRC vans did not have cats, but I'm no expert there. For more turbo whine I'd suggest a 6637 intake but kinda doubt it will fit on a van. Maybe a modern billet turbo wheel, that should give quicker spool and power with the perk of whine.

Early vs late 99 is a truck only conundrum, I think the vans are all the same in that regard.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Skip anything DP tuner. They play a nickle and dime game.

Get the Hydra and try the free server tunes first then if you want to try other tune writers you can.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:53 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Yes, they can add upwards of 100 RWHP. It's a hot, smoky 100 HP but is IS entirely possible. Just watch one on a dyno sometime and you'll see how 100 RWHP is made.

60-ish horsepower is about the limit for constant-duty power that doesn't cause injection pressure to suffer in most instances but on a non-intercooled van I would certainly watch EGT.

​​​​​​​

Old 07-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
No cats on diesels. Beginning In 2008-2010 time frame you might have a Diesel Particle Filter(DPF and you don't want it)

Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can feel the +50. I can even feel there is a bit more with the +75 on my dash mounted switch. The +100 does not seem to make any difference compared to the +75. High idle also works on the switch, but my truck would not start on the "stock" tune position the last time I tried it.

4" exhaust, S&B intake, some turbo upgrade, and the 6-position chip. With the exhaust and intake, I think +80 is possible, but the +50 is obvious.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverhks
No cats on diesels. Beginning In 2008-2010 time frame you might have a Diesel Particle Filter(DPF and you don't want it)

Diesel pickups have had catalytic converters for a long time. Although there was very little rhyme or reason, many had them (from all three manufacturers) so making a blanket statement about "no cats on diesels" is incorrect.

​​​​​​​

Old 07-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Diesel pickups have had catalytic converters for a long time. Although there was very little rhyme or reason, many had them (from all three manufacturers) so making a blanket statement about "no cats on diesels" is incorrect.
Interesting, I have always been taught that diesels clog up catalytic converters making them a pricey restriction.

​​​​​​​Thanks for correcting me.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:43 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
To my knowledge, anything built for The Peoples Republik of California had Cats on them, the Expeditions in Particular, and probably all Vans and Short Buses. and Cleatus is on point about tuners, All of them....You're only gonna get 60 HP tops out of a stocker. And a lot of smoke.... Oh, and 175,000Mi is nowhere close to being a "High Mileage Engine"....It's just getting broke in.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:29 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
To my knowledge, anything built for The Peoples Republik of California had Cats on them, the Expeditions in Particular, and probably all Vans and Short Buses.
No.
My Excursion is a Ca. vehicle and non-catalyst. I recently shopped short busses and they were non-catalyst. We had a bunch of 95, and a few '96 7.3s at a place I worked and none had cats that I know of. My friend's '00 F-250 is Ca. emissions and non-cat. From what I've read, only a small number of Ca. 7.3 trucks had a cat, but don't recall what year(s) they did it.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:33 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't know how much a tuner can add, but they do wake the 7.3 up really well. I'm currently playing with an old Superchips 1705 I borrowed, what I like most is the quick response when getting onto the throttle and the short shifts.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:58 AM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the replies! Im pretty overwhelmed. Im actually not totally new to the 7.3, we have a few of them in our vans at my company. But this particular van is gonna be my own personal truck so its the first time I’ll do anything outside of regular maintenance on a 7.3. I think the first thing i want to do is get an egt guage so i dont grenade a piston. Is there a popular kit? I guess i need to weld a bung on the mani somewhere. Will a 4 inch exhaust help keep the temps down?

Old 07-07-2018, 05:51 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
a tuner or chip CAN add 100+ hp, but not without other modifications. by itself, they are only good for about 60 HP.
but add a different turbo and different injectors, larger exhaust and more intake air and 100+ HP is easily added.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Basic inexpensive (under $1000 each) mods are available to really light the 7.3L up, but collectively - they are a hit to the wallet.
  • 4" exhaust all day long, many of them let the turbo whistle out.
  • Red line mod is completely free and takes 10 seconds - search that one, but it works better with an upgraded intake.
  • The stock intake is a Ford faux pas. AIS intake is a Motorcraft product and a profound upgrade for stock injectors and turbo. I think it fits in a van - but I'm unsure. 6637 intake makes the cab whistle like a sumbich, but turbo whistle is not unlike the results of eating a Costco sausage dog. I want it to make its presence known out the back - not in my face.
  • Hydra allows you to try out a plethora of different tune providers if you don't like what's there (it happens), DP has maybe a handful... maybe. Many of us have traded to the Hydra away from DP and are happy with the results, but I don't know anybody who went the other way.
  • I'm partial to the ISSPRO EV2 gauge sets, and I strongly endorse Riffraff Diesel as a vendor for this and many other 7.3L upgrades. Clay is the guy - and you too can sing the praises of yellow tape. We have no fuel pressure sensor as well, and that is a very useful gauge to have. I have dual EGTs (left and right) and fuel pressure. They sensor works best on the elbow of the exhaust manifold, and there is plenty of material there to drill and tap.
  • For the rest of the gauges, I'm all OBDII ported up.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverhks
Interesting, I have always been taught that diesels clog up catalytic converters making them a pricey restriction.

Thanks for correcting me.
Your E99 should have had a cat, originally.

Originally Posted by coax9952
To my knowledge, anything built for The Peoples Republik of California had Cats on them,
Easy to assume, but that's not actually the case.

Originally Posted by '88 E-350
No.
My Excursion is a Ca. vehicle and non-catalyst.
This.

The 7.3L Excursions didn't have cats. The gassers and the 6.0L powered Excursions however did come with a cat.

I believe all E99 trucks came with cats too, and most hand-shakers from the L99 and up rigs will have cats too. Can't remember the rhyme and reason for it, but they did.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Do these tuners really add 100hp