I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.

My F450 has finally left me stranded. The truck has been running beautifully all the way from Houston; then, coming down a steep hill in Arkansas, I downshift to use the engine brake. First time, no problem; it's a long hill, a shifted back to drive when the incline eased a bit, all good, then the incline goes steep again, I downshift again, I'm going a little faster, so the engine races higher, and made it to the bottom just find. Right at the bottom, though, I see the place I'm going, hit the brakes, and the engine dies, sputtering, and I pull over on the shoulder.

Fuel pump fills up the bowl. No bubbles. I unplugged the ICP, no difference. I see my IPR is maxxing out at 84 while cranking and there's no ICP I assume that means I either have a high pressure oil leak or the IPR is stuck open/closed(?).

Any suggestions? Would the high rpms (3800ish) that occurred when I downshifted have caused something to blow? I'm getting enough RPM (200) to crank. Vref is 5.00. I'm getting both Syncs. IPV is .22 KO and goes up to 23-24 while cranking.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.IHateCommieCars has a good reputation on FTE.
I checked the oil and it fills up the filter bowl normally. I checked the codes, and it only has a P2285 - isn't that from unplugging the ICP and trying to crank? Someone told me that when I downshifted and the engine rpm went so high, it could have blown the high pressure oil pump. How can I confirm that's working? The oil pressure gauge registers, but that's low pressure, right?

I pulled the IPR. Something hit it on the rim and bent it in, but I don't see a hole in it. When I recently replaced this screen, I'm not sure that I put the o-rings on right. Is there two rubber rings under that screen? One of them is cut through, can't remember if it came that way. They're square rings, not rounded like most o-rings. Also, when I hold it up to the light, there is a film covering almost all the screen, only a couple of little areas look clean, like oil has been going through them. What could that film be? Would that make it not start? Why doesn't the high oil pressure blow that film out? Here's pics:

Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru

Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru

First pic shows the film covering the IPR screen. This one tries to show the ding/crease in the top rim of the screen.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
Dang, I've hosed myself this time. I'm out in the boonies, 30 miles from anywhere. No way to get to an auto parts/dealer, got my dog with me. Aaaargh. Hot as hell to boot.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have you reinstalled the IPR without the screen and tried it

Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
No, I cleaned that one a bit and put it back together so I could gather some more data for y'all...

There is no FPW when cranking. FICM looks good - 47.5-48.5, and well as FLP - 12.5^.

So, the problems I see - but I'm an idiot - is IPR maxxed, no ICP and no FPW.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 AM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
What does it mean that the truck isn't throwing any codes (except that P02885 I think was caused by unplugging the ICP)?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 AM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
Looking at pics of IPR repair kits, I don't see any of the orings/seals cut like one of mine is. One of the two rings right under the screen is literally sliced through like the letter C. IIRC, it came that way. Does that sound right? I also didn't know which way those two rings were supposed to install. Does it make a difference?

When I replaced this a couple of months ago, the old screen wasn't even on the IPR, and I didn't find it inside the valve hole. I wonder what bent the rim on that screen - maybe the old screen is still in there?

Could this be causing the icp and fpw to read zero? I know it can cause the ipr to max out.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
I wonder if the old screen is still inside the bore, that might be why the one you removed was so chewed up as it was compressed when it was installed behind the old one, or parts of the old one.
I don't know that this explains your FPW at zero though

Can you confirm FICM and cam/crank sync?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
FICM and Crank Sync are both good. I don't have a tool to get inside the IPR valve hole. I tried needle nose. Prolly need a magnet. I just bought a new screen and that didn't fix the problem. I saw what looks like Permatex in the IPR. I sprayed the holes with the valve open and it didn't come off. I got a sharp point and dug at it and seemed to get most of it off.

Dang, Im screwed. Stuck here now for several days. The only Ford dealer within 100 miles is too busy to look at it today. Of course, closed tomorrow.

I'm guessing my maxxed IPR means I've got an oil leak somewhere. I replaced dummy plugs a month ago and that solved my long cold crank - it was firing up in half a second until this.

Can you think of anything that would blow because I downshifted coming down that steep hill?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
This may only be a little help. I hate sending you to Home Depot or Lowes ro spend money.
You want two things to see back in there and pick any thing out. The video bore scope
from Ridgid or Milwaukee and a set of picks. The camera will let you get a good well
lit view into the hole and a the picks to remove any trash you find.

Sorry that is the best I can come up with.

If you keep the bore scope clean you might be able to return it or you can also use it any
time you do injectors and there are a lot of other good used for it.

Stay cool.

EDIT: Harbor Freight also has something in the bore scope line I think.
I wonder if anyone is near that could come lend a hand.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
Thanks, Sean. I don't think the IPR is my problem. Replaced screen and prongs and no difference. In going to try the STC fitting next. Prolly need to do an air test but no compressor. Just throwing parts at it now. None of the shops I've found here can look at it until next week so I'm stuck if the STC isn't it until at least Thursday when I can buy more parts to throw at it.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Per4mance
Postmaster
Per4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to beholdPer4mance is a splendid one to behold
Question: if you push on the pintal on the IPR does it move? It could be jamed up,holding it in the max position.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Dumb question but you check if the oil filter housing is filling? Maybe you got a low side oil pressure issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.