6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:34 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
I did push the ipr piston. Held it in with a bolt while I sprayed cleaner in the holes. Def not stuck. Thx!

Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I did, Monster. Or at least, I took the filter out and cranked it at the battery and it filled up quickly. I read something here later about holding the center post down but I didn't do that. Is it supposed to fill without holding that down?

And any question you ask Bonehead isn't dumb. I'm the guy who left the cap on the input line to my new power steering pump - put the hose over it and wondered why it didn't work. Even stumped the dealer tech with that one. Plenty more Bonehead where that came from.

Last edited by IHateCommieCars; 07-03-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I had forgotten about that one. It does not help having them paint the reman pump and not tape the cap.
I have a reman pump sitting in a box ready to go in tomorrow.

How was it found to be the problem?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Yeah the inlet tube and rubber cap were both black and it's dark under there. I figured it out when I was taking it back off figuring it was an out of box failure.

Lucky for me the cap didn't come off with the hose and stick inside or I'd still be trying to figure it out.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Hmm sorry if this post twice I don't see it on the page.

I'm hosed I'm trying to I'm hosed I'm trying to replace the STC fitting although I have no clue if that's the problem or not, just guessing. And the last bolt on the left hand side in the back is rounded off. I didn't do it it was already that way. Somebody's been in here before. All of the pedestal bolts were loose. So now I got to pull the intake EGR whatever it takes to get above that bold and try and put a 6 point socket on it. I couldn't find a 6-point wrench at the auto parts store 20 miles from here. I'm about to research and see if I can just somehow pull the EGR without all the rest of the stuff but I don't guess so.

the worst part is not even knowing if I'm doing all this work and not accomplishing anything.

It'd help if any of y'all weighed in. Does the STC seem logical?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn dude, I hate to hear you in this predicament, stranded far from home and civilization on a holiday and having to take care your dog as well. I'm sorry I can't be any help. My own truck is sitting in my driveway now for weeks while I try to figure out what's wrong with it. I have low ICP pressure. I'm thinking about throwing standpipes and dummy plugs and STC fittings at mine too. Parts are cheap enough, but that's a lot of labor for me. Worse for you, stuck on the side of the road.

I'm not sure what causes the STC fittings to fail, On mine I suspect that I blew something accelerating hard when I hit the highway and have to merge into 75 MPH traffic every morning, Maybe a correlation between our two trucks, with you downshifting into high RPMs. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Dummy plugs are not hard, and standpipes are just removing oilrails too. STC is a bit more, but its just twisting wrenches there's not a whole lot of technical expertise required. But taking the intake off is more work. And getting that rounded off bolt is going to be a birch.

Thanks. This is getting to me. More than just the physical pain at my age (legs cramped on me last night), the stress is tough. I have to just keep working or ill lose it.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Cramping ..... signs of dehydration, lack of electrolytes, potassium, magnesium, more so with older people. Gator aid, coconut water, pickle brine.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Jack the better drink over Gatorade (mostly sugar) would be flavored Pedialyte electrolyte for babies.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
G2 version, more readily available. But I try not to use it due to the sugar thing. My preference though.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:53 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where in AR are you right now?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:04 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Thx. The cramping has stead to my right arm and hands as I've worked today.

Good news, I got the bolt out. Beat it with hammer and chisel, when that didn't seem to work, I drove 20 miles again and bought a set of extractor sockets for $30. Bolt turned easily, like one more whack on the chisel woulda done it.×€%\€%=÷

More good news, it had the STC type fitting. And I was able to dig my old ipr screen out of the pump housing. It was stuck right where it should be.

The STC wasn't "blown apart." Is the big ring between the T and the lock down nut supposed to spin freely and move up and down on the shaft? If not, then this was my problem. If so, maybe the double IPR screens was the problem? But it's run fine for 7-8000 miles with the double screens.

Anyway putting it back together. I assume I'm going to have to crank a long time to purge air. will crank it at the battery so as I don't burn up my ficm. These folks have a roll around battery charger so I'll be able to keep my battery going. Is there any data I'll see you on my ScanGauge that will tell me if I made any progress while I'm cranking. Of course I can't see my scan gauge while cranking at the battery, but maybe after a few cranks I can start it inside once

Old 07-04-2018, 07:06 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I'm in Leslie, ark. 20 miles north of Clinton.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:13 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think that ring should spin, that is what seats that o ring IIRC.

I've only done three or four of those but I don't remember that back up ring moving around. How did the o ring look?

Nevermind, after reading your post again sounds like you still have the actual STC fitting yet?
No, there should not be a lot of movement there. I'll bet between that and the IPR getting cleaned out you will get her fired up again.
Don't crank for more than 20 seconds each time when purging things, then give the starter five minutes to cool down again.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:21 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
The O-ring in front of the lockdown that looks just fine. Is there another O ring inside? I assume this thing unsnaps somehow? if I didn't know any better I would think that ring is supposed to move somehow to disconnect the fitting. This one moves up the shaft 1/8"-3/16" or so plus spinning freely.

Quick Reply: I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.