6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I know how not being able to get the truck inside the garage is. I have a set of screw hooks that I can
hang a large blue tarp from and make a cover for the truck to park under and then just use some tie
straps to pull it to the bed stake pockets. Makes a nice dry or out of the sun shelter for working on the truck.

Nothing like working in the rain or the sun when it comes to maintenance.

BTW the tarps I use are the brown and blue heavy ones that Costco has.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:54 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Yeah I thought about rigging up a tarp - I have some good ones for my work - but I was already beat and later in the day I get shade where its at. About to go at it again.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro

Not sure if you can tell, but my clamp is twisted/bent. Don't think it happened coming off or going on in Arkansas; I would have noticed. Think it haopened this week when I tightened it down. Probably on there crooked and I crunched it.

Don't know what it takes to straighten, but I don't have it. Prolly don't sell these at the parts house either. Guess I gotta lube up my backside and head to the dealer Monday morning.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Try to get it on as close to fitting as you can and then spray with
something like WD40 and then try to see if you can gently torque in down.

If the truck gods smile on you it will pull into place and work. If it does
be sure to still get a new one and your will never need it. It's the having
the part that does the trick.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:37 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Yeah I hoped so, tried it twice. Didn't spray it though. Dang, I should have one of these from the delete on my ambulance but I can't find it amongst all the junk around here. My son "did me a favor" by cleaning out the garage; just like the GF cleaned up my house. Neither actually organizes, they just hide everything from view so it looks clean - until the next time I need something that I had known exactly where to find and now have to pull everything out they had hidden away looking for it. End up with the same mess I started with, but no longer know where anything is.=%/**\%=÷

Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
"Its having the part that does the trick" LOL

Dang, the parts God's know I have one around here somewhere. Cruel. Must be one of those bellicose gods.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I ordered parts for the steering box job some time ago from Ed at FICMrepair
and when it cam time to do the job do you think I could find the bolts I ordered?

So I ordered a 2nd set. They showed up and a few weeks after I found the missing ones.
They were on a shelf in a boy with a Ford parts label that said BOLTS.

So don't feel bad about it. I did need then for the project tuck after all.
So that only left me with a pitman arm nut left over. I didn't remove it when swapping the box.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:56 AM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
I am terrible at losing things so I have a method to always keep things in the same place even if it's not the most efficient layout. Wife comes along and tidies up, a five minute job takes 1 hour of searching

Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Exactly. Plus this heat. As I described. I start pulling the turbo yesterday but quickly overheat and go back inside til the shade comes over the truck. Got a lot of it done and figure I got just a couple hours at work that evening and I'll be running again. Come out in the evening don't even have to completely pull the turbo just get it loose and move it to the side, by the time I do that and discover that the clamp is bent and try to get it on there a couple of times anyway before figuring out I'm going to have to buy a new one, of course the parts houses are closed and it's Saturday evening so I can't do anything Sunday and it'll be Monday before I can get it done and by the time I go to The Parts House Monday and get back it'll be steaming hot again so I'll probably not finish till Monday evening.

so this morning I get outside thinking I'll take care of another chore, replacing a front shock. Roll my floor jack out there assuming I need to jack up the truck, but I don't. But I'm already drenched in sweat. Crawl underneath and back out 3 or 4 times trying to find the right socket to fit on it. It's not a 17 or hey 19 and it's not a 3/4 or 11/16, so I guess it's an 18 and I don't have that socket or wrench. But 3/4 is closed so I'm going to try anyway. It's a beast, I can't move it at all. Now I'm cussing my son again because when he straighten up the garage he buried my air compressor all the way in the back. I've been using hand tools all the time because I can't get to it and now I really need the impact to get this bolt out. another day wasted period another day drenched in sweat and I messed with it just enough to get all dirty.

there are days that I wished I still drank. But I guess I'd break the bottle or something.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
At least the front shock isn't a must do today like the turbo is.
I'm constantly amazed at what size nuts ford uses: I never used 5.5, 14, 18mm until I got the truck. Before it was mainly 10, 13, 17mm and that was it. Now I have full sets; long, short, impact just to make sure. One more expense to take care of 😩

Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Exactly. Plus this heat. As I described. I start pulling the turbo yesterday but quickly overheat and go back inside til the shade comes over the truck. Got a lot of it done and figure I got just a couple hours at work that evening and I'll be running again. Come out in the evening don't even have to completely pull the turbo just get it loose and move it to the side, by the time I do that and discover that the clamp is bent and try to get it on there a couple of times anyway before figuring out I'm going to have to buy a new one, of course the parts houses are closed and it's Saturday evening so I can't do anything Sunday and it'll be Monday before I can get it done and by the time I go to The Parts House Monday and get back it'll be steaming hot again so I'll probably not finish till Monday evening.

so this morning I get outside thinking I'll take care of another chore, replacing a front shock. Roll my floor jack out there assuming I need to jack up the truck, but I don't. But I'm already drenched in sweat. Crawl underneath and back out 3 or 4 times trying to find the right socket to fit on it. It's not a 17 or hey 19 and it's not a 3/4 or 11/16, so I guess it's an 18 and I don't have that socket or wrench. But 3/4 is closed so I'm going to try anyway. It's a beast, I can't move it at all. Now I'm cussing my son again because when he straighten up the garage he buried my air compressor all the way in the back. I've been using hand tools all the time because I can't get to it and now I really need the impact to get this bolt out. another day wasted period another day drenched in sweat and I messed with it just enough to get all dirty.

there are days that I wished I still drank. But I guess I'd break the bottle or something.
Maybe when he is sleeping you should drop him in a river and pack all the supplies in the odder he will need then last first. Also be sure
to add some Exlax to the food and burry the TP deep in the supplies so he really has to dig it out with a note on it telling him to not clean
up your stuff or next time there won't be any TP or a paddle. Then he will really be up **** creek without a paddle.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:40 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Dang clamp was $37 at the dealer. Guy pointed out that the old one wasn't OEM. That rounded off HPOP was right below it. Someone's been there before - I wonder what they did? The STC wasn't replaced. It only had 144k when I bought it but IIRC it had more hours than that.

it would be rare for the HPOP to go out. Obviously no EGR delete or welded shut. I guess there's a possibility I rounded that bolt off, but sure didn't feel like it, and when I finally got to it, it was barely tight any way. Still doesn't explain the clamp.

Replacing the oil cooler would explain the clamp, but It's never run sub-10 degree deltas. Lately, it's been cruising 60mph at 220-224 EOTs, up to 228 on hills, but it 95-105 outside and I'm pulling 10k lbs. Deltas hover around 15 at every oil temp.

Anyway, i got it back together and it sounds good. I'm going to drive it after I cool down a bit - see if I still have the shudder.

Known issues:

Discovered that my air inlet tube was crimped in at the turbo on the bottom /back. Letting dirty air in. Got it straightened out.

Dropped one of the degas bolts and never found it.

Never put that big heat shield bolt back into the head.

That nut holding the ground wire on back of the intake locked so tight that the intake stud comes out. My wrenches are too thick to get to the stud nut and, of course, the entirety can't come out without cutting the wire. Its going to be a PITA next time I need to get to the IPR.

The brand new turbo oil tube gasket tore up when I took it off. I put it back together any way. Will keep my eye on it for leaks.

If it runs fine, I'm on to the front shock then back to the shuttle bus. My Bluetooth Obdii is due in tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:49 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Dang clamp was $37 at the dealer.

Known issues: .........

That nut holding the ground wire on back of the intake locked so tight that the intake stud comes out. My wrenches are too thick to get to the stud nut and, of course, the entirety can't come out without cutting the wire. Its going to be a PITA next time I need to get to the IPR.

NAPA carries the clamps, you just have to know the size.

That's the shield wire for the injector harness, not technically a ground, just connected to the ground.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:49 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quarter turn to tight on that band clamp and you'll spread it. I dropped $20 on amazon and bought a new one. Once you have spread it, since the constant heat, it seems to lose it's temper, and won't hold fast again. I went through countless headaches trying to get it to tighten down. The one you have pictured seems like it's better designed and more resistant to spreading and pulling through.

Here's a link to it on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011DSSTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011DSSTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 284947

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Actually it looks like clamp “72” had the bolts T head either high and back or turned 90° once when tightening. That would bend the ears. Normally the T head is inside of the loops so there wouldn’t be any load on those edges to cause deformation.

Quick Reply: I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.