6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
That exhaust-like noise is loud when I first start the truck but gets quieter. Sound like something an exhaust leak would do?

I'd work on it but it's over 100 degrees here and I have no shade. Good day for changing trans fluid under my bus.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Sounds like a good day to work at night.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Yeah my problem is too many cars. Got 8 cars, including the shuttle bus, an ambulance, the 450, and my son's 250, plus a trailer at my house. Its a quiet, tidy little neighborhood and the neighbors don't appreciate my mess. Need to get the cars out of my garage so I have a place to work in the shade.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:02 AM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
That exhaust-like noise is loud when I first start the truck but gets quieter. Sound like something an exhaust leak would do?

I'd work on it but it's over 100 degrees here and I have no shade. Good day for changing trans fluid under my bus.
It certainly does, when everything is cold the tolerances are bigger, they close up when all is warm and have expanded.
Not saying it is that, but it is logical

Old 07-15-2018, 06:52 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
That's what I thought. The passenger side turbo exhaust tube has a little hook on the top that helped line it up but my drivers side didn't and there was a gap there, maybe an eighth inch wide. I got the clamp on and hoped it would pull them together. That's right when my hands were cramping up and it was all I could do to get it that close.

I guess that since it does quiet down, the clamp is holding both sides together. Maybe I just need to tighten it more? Or does that clamp not actually pull the exhaust tube towards the turbo, and instead, just holds the two sides in place, such that I need to somehow get that gap closed, then tighten it?

Guess it doesn't matter. Once I get to it, it'd be silly not to try to just tighten it first and see if that works. Maybe driving it those 700 miles loosened it up enough that it will close together easily. Just a little work to reconnect the FICM, degas, and air cleaner.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
You loosen it all up and start at the turbo. The up pipe from the manifold is the last thing .

Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I'm wondering now if that's not my problem. Got a ratchet on both those turbo clamps today. The passenger side was tight. I was able to get a couple of revolutions on the drivers side, the one I suspected had a leak. Really thought that would fix it. No change at all and it looks just fine.

I'm thinking that it might be that dang heat shield. It was a major PITA to get the bolts out and I never was able to actually remove it like the guys in the YouTubes (???). And getting the bolts back in was even harder. I see why guys cut that ear off the HPOP cover. I got those two in and tight but never could get the big bolt attaching it to the head back in. I'm thinking that might be rattling.

But it does get quieter within a few minutes - doesn't completely go away, but a lot quieter than at start up.

Anyone else missing that bolt without creating a rattle? Obviously, the shield gets hot, and I'd guess pretty quickly, but would that make it rattle less?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Well guys, I'm such a doofus. I remember one of my earliest post on this site was how I thought my transmission was slipping because I never heard an engine fan as loud as the one on this truck. Who is making all the noise but wouldn't go faster when I gave it gas so I thought it was the tranny slipping. I'm sure all of y'all would have known immediately that it was a fan, just like I bet all of y'all would know what it was causing all of this noise from my truck.

I now think it's my Turbo going out. That's the squeal I was getting and I bet it's also the noise coming out the back end. What do you think I did to the turbo when I removed it up and Arkansas to get to the STC fitting. It was working just fine and as soon as I put everything back together it's making that noise. Now I'm also getting a slight shudder from the truck at low RPMs. Like when I'm coming to a stop, it'll shutter like it misses a couple of times, but once I'm actually stopped and idling it runs smooth, and as I'm driving at speed it drives smooth. I'm thinking that's the turbo hanging up. It will give me boost but I have no experience with how much boost I should be getting under different loads. I see it go between 10 and 20 on the gauge.

I've seen threads on rebuilding a turbo but don't recall if it requires special tools. What do you think the chances are I could do it without screwing it up anyway? When I had it off, I could see the backside of the veins and all of that was rusty, bad rusty.

what's the likelihood of getting a decent Turbo from a dismantler? Does anybody rebuild my core? I wonder if the turbo off of my ambulance would work on this truck? It only has 60,000 miles on it.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
You need to hook up with Jeff at Diesel Redemption. Ask Bill ( Per4mance )
for Jeff's phone number. I as usual can't find it. I really should put it in my phone.
The other way to reach him is through Ebay. His user name is vampkittykat .
But the phone number that Bill has would be the better bet. If you use Ebay to
reach him you will deal with staff first.

I looked to see if I had his number buried in my Emails and I can't find it.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I see a company by that name in Illinois. Do they rebuild turbos? Little hesitant to go that route if it takes too long. Need to get back on road to make money. Faster to swap out the ambulance turbo but IIRC e series is a different turbo.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
He dismantles retired things like E-series and other work types.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
SERIOUSLY, I DESERVE SOME KIND OF RECOGNITION

Honestly, has there ever been a more consistent, long term, dumber than dirt, screw-up on this site than me? We're talking legendary, founding Dumbs$$ Hall of Fame member level screw up.

I've been here a few years now and haven't seen anyone close.

Was researching turbo posts here and came across a comment from jmaskew suggesting the OP check the EGR clamp for his squealing noise. It had crossed my mind (loosely defined), briefly and instantly discarded. During reassembly, before setting the turbo in place, it was right there, simple to access. Why wouldn't I have tightened it?

Of course, the answer is obvious - dementia. And as soon as I read that comment it all came back to me. I left it loose anticipating some problems lining up the turbo. Snugged up, but not tight.

Ran outside to check and figured I'd have to tear down to get to it, but no. Tightened right up, and fixed the noise.

You gotta admit, a lesser man woulda bailed from here without admitting his stupidity. I may be King Bonehead of All Time, but I have integrity. I just feel bad for you guys, wasting your time again and again. How could y'all even suspect someone could be such a screw up? Its like you need to start each of my threads with "to tighten the bolt, turn it clockwise."

I need to go on a nationwide beer-buying tour to meet all y'all. Thx.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
All that really counts is y4i4ty47km8ufixed juikkjiit9 .
That line should read. All that really counts is that you fixed it.

BTW Xander was trying to say hello by walking on the keyboard.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Lol. I think he's drunk.

But, I spoke too soon. After t tightened that clamp and started the truck, it sounded great. It is so heat here tHough that I just let in run a few seconds and went back in the a/c. Just finished driving it and a little bit of the noise comes back. Also, the shudder is still there.

I'm going to try tightening it some more early in the morning and hope that fixes the noise, but I'm not real confident that has anything to do with the shudder.

Would driving it with that EGR leak damage the turbo? I put about 1500 miles on it with that loose. The only other thing I can think I might have screwed up to affect performance is the intake. Sure looked like the gaskets lined up; the u-shaped notch was right on both sides.

Strangely, before it seemed to start noisy, then get quieter. Now, it starts quiet and after 30 seconds or so, the noise starts. Does the turbo take a few seconds to kick in after starting? Maybe exhaust gas has to build up enough pressure to make the noise. Once the noise starts at idle, if I tap the pedal it stops.

Possibly that heat shield still, I hear in more at the back of the crew cab than in front of the grill.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
Lol. I think he's drunk.

He better not be he is only 13.....Weeks old. And if he did find something I want my cut.
I think is is part parrot and ferret along with the kitten in him. You should see that boy go
into the covers on a bed. I think he would be a good TBM operator when he gets older. (TBM= Tunnel Boring Machine)
Well at least into the bed covers.

Here is one of his latest photos. He is starting to look so much like the boys did at that age is spooky.

Xander at 12 weeks old.

He is up to just over 3 Lb now and eats like it's going out of stock after the end of the world.
Tonight I found out he liked KFC second hand. You know it finger licking good right?
Well he spise the chicken part and just goes for the fingers. He thinks they are so tasty.

Quick Reply: I got a real problem this time - stuck on the side of the road again.