2003 f250 powerstroke 7.3L wont start - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2003 f250 powerstroke 7.3L wont start

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 f250 powerstroke 7.3L wont start

Old 07-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Blaisegravoisjr
New User
Blaisegravoisjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Blaisegravoisjr View Post
Gpr reads 12.5 on passenger side nut with key off and with key on the driver side nut doesn't read anything.
i was told how to bypass this but still didn't work. Truck still turns over but don't start

Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Blaisegravoisjr
New User
Fixing to replace GPR and see if that works

Old 07-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Just throwing parts at it gets expensive. I recommend that you take the time and troubleshoot. There are four wires on the GPR. Front one should have power when key is on, the rear one grounds through the PCM and the PCM grounds it when glow plugs are called for. Remove the rear wire on the GPR (the lead to the PCM) then ground the GPR at that lug while the key is on and see if the GPR works. You can hear it click when it activates. Then once you have it activated check the right hand lug for voltage.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
There are four wires on the GPR. Front one should have power when key is on, the rear one grounds through the PCM and the PCM grounds it when glow plugs are called for. Remove the rear wire on the GPR (the lead to the PCM) then ground the GPR at that lug while the key is on and see if the GPR works. You can hear it click when it activates. Then once you have it activated check the right hand lug for voltage.
Thanks for posting this. I had it wrong in my post 15. I have edited my post to refer readers to your post.

And to the OP... It only takes a couple minutes to troubleshoot the GPR, about 20 minutes to swap it. The least expensive quality GPR if you do swap is the GPR-109 from NAPA. The lugs on the top are clocked 1/4 turn from stock but the wires do reach the right locations.

The NAPA GPR-110 is the "stock" replacement and cost is at least double. Then the dealer for true OEM or the IH part at yet more $$$. The Standcor relay is considered the upgrade around here.

I put a GPR-109 in mine. Remember to remove the ground lugs from your batteries before doing a swap, that first big lug is always hot and has a lot of amps available.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Blaisegravoisjr
New User
I am not getting power to fuel pump. Is there a relay or something the fuse in #40 has power but not the fuelift pump

Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Blaisegravoisjr
New User
Don't have power to the fuel shut off switch also

Old 07-14-2018, 07:55 AM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Check all fuses. The fuel pump will only run for about twenty seconds when the key is turned on so you need to be quick or get a helper to check for power.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Google the no-start chart and quit throwing parts at it! These trucks are fairly easy to diagnose if you follow a plan, not to meniton there are 1,000,000 no-start threads with all of this information. I get being new, but look at the stickies as well. Get a code reader that works....and again, look up the no-start flow chart for the 7.3. Our guess is as good as yours without any codes or pertinent information.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I thought that it was fuse #30 that ran the pump.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:38 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Fuse #30 runs the PCM.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
Fuse #30 runs the PCM.
Doh, that's right, PCM and fuel bowl heater.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.