Mystery Oil causing failure to Cat. converters? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

Mystery Oil causing failure to Cat. converters?

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Mystery Oil causing failure to Cat. converters?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
LOL! Go for it! You do your thing and I'll do mine. I can use my own experience as proof, but you have no proof that I'm wrong - only mule-headed smugness.
Limited small-scale experience is not proof one way or the other. Hence disclaimers such as "individual results may vary".

While I have not seen any "mule-headed smugness" in this thread by anyone other than the quoted statement, I have also not seen any 3rd party independent studies linked here proving that continued use of non-vehicle-manufacturer-recommended fuel and/or oil additives actually provide any benefit or added longevity to any vehicle (I specify non-vehicle-manufacturer-recommended additives because some manufacturers like Ford will recommend something like PM22 cetane boost/lubrication additive for their Powerstroke diesel engines for instance, which are actually proven to provide very specific benefits for certain quality fuels).

Certain fuel additives and/or stabilizers do have their place and function in very specific situations, such as seasonal storage using fuel stabilizers. However, for consistent/daily/long-term continual usage, there are no additional proven benefits that have been backed up by independent lab tests.

So until such scientific proof is provided in this thread, people who do not believe that these fuel and/or oil additives are beneficial for constant use have a perfectly valid opinion. And I mean independent 3rd party scientific studies, not additive manufacturer marketing. I've never seen a vehicle manufacturer, foreign or domestic, recommend any product such as MMO or similar. And I've never seen a manufacturer recommend fuel stabilizers for consistent use.

If such products did exist on the market, vehicle manufacturers would be the first in line to market and sell these products. Why? Because it simultaneously solves a problem for them (less warranty claims due to extended engine/fuel system longevity) while adding additional profit to their bottom line (by selling the product to consumers). So look at the vehicle manufacturer branded products that are available. There's pretty much nothing at all for oil additives, and the limited fuel additives are pretty much all targeting the diesel market.

Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Finally, I always have to laugh at the anti-oil/fuel-additive guys because of one fact - additives over the years, going back to the 1920s, eventually became standard in the 'off-the-shelf' oils and in pump gas. So what is happening is the 'snake oil' of today eventually becomes 'the latest thing' in the major brand products. Of course, I do not imply that everything out there will eventually turn out to be useful - some things really are 'snake oil', but you have to have a 'feel' for what you need and exactly how you expect it is going to help you.
I would like to see an example of an independent commercially marketed additive that became mainstream and standardized. I'm positive there might be 1 or maybe 2 ever in nearly 100 years, but then that would mean that pretty much 99.999999% of the rest were not. Just adding some perspective here.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
Illinois has used 10% ethanol since the early 1980s...... My 1989 F250 had 250K miles when sold.. My 2001 F150 had 250K miles when sold.. My NEW 2002 F150 has 175 K miles, and my 2002 EXP has 175 miles...... NEVER used an addative in any.