Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP my Bronco is dead and I'm failing CPR

Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 PM
warwizard40
New User
warwizard40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELP my Bronco is dead and I'm failing CPR

Hello friends,
I am new here, so please be patient with me. I have a 1990 Bronco full size, with a 5.0L ( 302) I was driving it about a week ago now and it just quit on me right in the middle of traffic, luckily I was able to get it to the side of the road, and called a tow truck to get it home, There was no warn at all, dash lights came on, no power because the engine shut down. Once home, I went through the process of diagnostics, the fuel pump was whining, but no pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail, replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, now I have 46psi on the fuel pressure at the rail, I tried starting the truck, to no avail. check the spark, no spark, I.C.M. replaced that, now I have spark, fuel pressure, it cranks over but will not start and run. I can not get an accurate reading on the injectors to see if the are pulsing, I am assuming that they are not firing like they should because I can spray ether or brake clean into the throttle body and it tries to start and run, I am at my wits end with this truck, and no Idea which way to turn with it, and being on social security, I cant afford to put it in a shop, and I am force to do the repairs myself, oh and I have disconnected and checked for any burnt or heated areas of the P.C.M. had it tested at Autozone they told me that it was fine and doing what it was supposed to be doing? for some reason I have my doubts. Thank you in advance for any and all help, it is very much appreciated

Old 07-02-2018, 12:22 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
AutoZone cannot test a PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Some of them still have code readers for OBD-I vehicles like yours and can run the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) tests and Stored Code (CM) display. If that is what they did what were the codes? No codes means they did not properly run the tests.

Does the fuel pump run continuously with the key in the Run position?

Old 07-02-2018, 01:11 PM
warwizard40
New User
the fuel pump runs continuously with the key on, The wiring on this truck is a monstrosity to say the least, I have spent the better part of 6 months un-doing back yard short cuts and fixing the wiring on this truck. I do not remember all of the codes, because they weren't that relevant to what is going on, like the spout being un-plugged at the time, I.A.C., T.P.S. all of which I have replaced, and not had the chance to clear out the old codes for them, sorry, I was lazy at the time. I noticed last night that, even though I have fuel pressure at the rail, none of my spark plugs have a gas smell or even damp from fuel?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by warwizard40 View Post
the fuel pump runs continuously with the key on
The #1 indicator the computer is bad. Assumes no one has hot wired around the EEC relay and/or the fuel pump relay.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by warwizard40 View Post
.......P.C.M. had it tested at Autozone they told me that it was fine and doing what it was supposed to be doing? for some reason I have my doubts.
How did they do that?

Have you taken a peak inside of it?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM
warwizard40
New User
Little bit of an update here, I have been testing wiring and fusable links and anything else that I can think of here. I am only getting .04 volt to my injectors, the only thing that I can come to the conclusion of is that the P.C.M. is in fact dead, I can't find any fusable links to the injectors or anywhere that wires have been cut or frayed/chewed, or damaged. So I have ordered a new computer, pre-programmed from the factory, and hopefully this will resolve the issues that I have been dealing with, such as the ignition control module going out frequently, among other smaller issues, hopefully this will resolve most of my issues

Thanks for helping out everyone.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
The injectors are supplied 12V via the EEC relay which in turn is activated by the ignition switch. Nothing to do with the computer.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:03 PM
McLeod
Posting Guru
McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.McLeod has a good reputation on FTE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.