1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiring Assistance 51 F-3

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wiring Assistance 51 F-3

Conncecting the headlights to the main harness.
The crossover harness from passenger side to drivers side connects the headlight plug to the two headlight plug wires on drivers side how does this then connect with main dash harness that has two male wires as well?

This is a Bob Drake harness, not that it matters, seems like there should be a “y” type connector to tie everything together?

Do I need to make a connector?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 AM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Most of the connections in the wire harness use a single female connector but a few, like the headlight connections, use a double female. For ex. the left and right bucket red plug into one side of the double and the single main harness red in the other side of the double and so on.

JB

Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have bullet connectors? Is this what you want?

Wiring Connector | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
I saw those and wondered if they are what I need. Will they accept two wires in each connector?
That is two in each female on each side for total of four wires in one side?
Then connect the matching single wire from main harness to the plug carrying matching two wires?

I will have two sets of two, one from each headlight that need to connect with one set of two on the main harness, if you follow me.

Thanks, hope this makes sense.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 PM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Here is a picture of both sets of three wires on the drivers side just forward of the radiator.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 AM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Thanks Rich,
I have the three wires from each headlight socket to connect to the two wires from main harness.
Using single connectors I run the connector harness from passenger side socket to drivers side and then use the double connectors to connect to single matching wire in main harness? The two wires in the double connectors will connect with the single wire connecting from the other side?

All the connections in the double are “jointly hot” if you will, unlike two separate single connectors side by side. So the doubles actually are a “Y” type connection?

sorry to be a bit thick on this,

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tiim5
Thanks Rich,
I have the three wires from each headlight socket to connect to the two wires from main harness.
Using single connectors I run the connector harness from passenger side socket to drivers side and then use the double connectors to connect to single matching wire in main harness? The two wires in the double connectors will connect with the single wire connecting from the other side?

All the connections in the double are “jointly hot” if you will, unlike two separate single connectors side by side. So the doubles actually are a “Y” type connection?

You actually only have two wires from the bulb socket, high and low beam. The other one is a ground (black, iirc), and can be terminated on a bucket screw or any handy spot.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 AM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tiim5
Thanks Rich,

Yes, the double connectors are all connected together. There are a few more spots they are used too like the tail lights cross-over. And as Bob said, the third wire is a ground. Make sure it is connected to a clean bare metal surface.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Bob, thanks for that, the crossover harness has a black/with yellow tracer, my sense is this will connect with the solid black connectors?
Their is a black wire with eye connector that grounds to the fender on each side. It looks like the solid black from the headlight is a bullet connector and it would seem it would connect with the blk/yellow as ground?
Now my truck is a 5 Star with parking lights, those need to connect as well.

I’ll reacquaint myself with the wiring diagram and get it solved- understanding the function of the double connectors is very helpful.