2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2LO mod / 2WD Low / Auto Front Hub Override mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
If Ford would just put a center diff in these trucks we could have full-time 4x4 with zero binding, high or low range. My primary purpose of this mod would be to quickly disengage the hubs while making a sharp turn on mixed traction surfaces (snow covered to plowed). Nuctrooper, how quickly do the hubs engage and disengage?

Thanks
they lock and unlock pretty quick. Maybe a second? While testing, I would flip the upfitter and try to race back out of the cab, around the door, and reach behind the wheel (turned 45degrees to ease access) to spin the u-joint, but could not beat it. Locked and unlocked faster than I could move around the door.

The other day I was pulling some stumps and skidding logs. Needed 4x4 in the woods, but was pulling up onto a road, 2 90 degree turns, then back off road again. It was great just to flip the switch as I came up onto the road, turn without binding, then flip it again as I got back onto soft ground. No waiting for transfer case to disengage and engage every time I made the turn.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
^^Thanks. Tried to send reps but the gun was empty...

Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
I did this mod late last week, and, if you tow, and use 4/LO for parking or maneuvering, you "get it". it worked just like @nuctrooper said, was super simple to do (hooked up to an upfitter), and will likely be my most appreciated mod.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
My only concern with this mod is that you are multiplying the total torque the rear axle sees by the low range ratio of 2.64:1. Keep in mind when using 4-low in stock, 4x4 mode that the torque increase from the low range ratio is split evenly between front and rear axles. I think using this feature gently for low speed parking maneuvers would be OK but I'd keep in mind you are overloading the rear axle with torque.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
My only concern with this mod is that you are multiplying the total torque the rear axle sees by the low range ratio of 2.64:1. Keep in mind when using 4-low in stock, 4x4 mode that the torque increase from the low range ratio is split evenly between front and rear axles. I think using this feature gently for low speed parking maneuvers would be OK but I'd keep in mind you are overloading the rear axle with torque.
Got it! Thanks! Yeah, my low speed trailer maneuvers are in the range of 1MPH. And, if or when the terrain allows, just flip the switch........very cool

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
I appreciate the discussion, but I think that is not really a "normal use" concern. Yes, you can certainly abuse the drivetrain in LO range. But, consider pulling in 4LO and having the rear tires slip (mud/snow/sand) and the front providing the grip. All the load/torque of LO range is completely carried by the front axle. We aren't snapping D60s left and right in LO when the rear tires slip. Conversely, if the front tires slip, all the load is carried by the rear axle. (as is the case if the hubs are unlocked). Sure, avoid power brake 4000RPM launches, but you don't really do that in LO anyway (hence the "normal use" qualifier.) Yes, you can deliberately abuse the truck and have parts fail, but I don't see any reason to "baby" the truck in 2LO.

The following 3 users liked this post by nuctrooper:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nuctrooper
I appreciate the discussion, but I think that is not really a "normal use" concern. Yes, you can certainly abuse the drivetrain in LO range. But, consider pulling in 4LO and having the rear tires slip (mud/snow/sand) and the front providing the grip. All the load/torque of LO range is completely carried by the front axle. We aren't snapping D60s left and right in LO when the rear tires slip. Conversely, if the front tires slip, all the load is carried by the rear axle. (as is the case if the hubs are unlocked). Sure, avoid power brake 4000RPM launches, but you don't really do that in LO anyway (hence the "normal use" qualifier.) Yes, you can deliberately abuse the truck and have parts fail, but I don't see any reason to "baby" the truck in 2LO.
Sure, but keep in mind there is a reason why the front diff is considerably lighter duty than the rear...because it will never see more than half the torque (except in occasional circumstances as you point out). Ford did not intend for this modification, which is the only reason I point this out. Small chance of failure, as I noted...but worth noting nonetheless.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
While it is true you will multiply torque, I have to think the overall stress to the system will be far less than the stress put on it by binding the drivetrain, such as during a turn. Your overall torque on the rear can only go so high as when you break traction, so I doubt you'd really ever get to a loading that exceeds its capacity.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the idea, but can't find location of the electrical component (vacuum solenoid).
2018 6.2L 4x4.
anyone know where it's located; not the same as diesels 'cuz I cannot locate anything similar to the pics included in this thread. (or my dumb *** overlooked it; always possible on a Friday after a few suds).

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dnewton3 - haven't looked for it yet on my truck. So when you find it, post a pic for us 6.2 guys..

Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great instructions.

Thanks for posting. Very easy mod to do, especially since the upfitter wires are very nearby.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM
D3thM3tal
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only concern with this mod is that you are multiplying the total torque the rear axle sees by the low range ratio of 2.64:1.
Unless you getting the rear end to hop with a giant 5th wheel you are NEVER going to get enough traction to hurt that rear axle. The far older axles take 600+ HP and 44"+ tires without breaking a sweat, the new stuff is far beyond the durability of axles that are now 30+ years old. Be smart about it, but it would take some serious work to destroy a modern rear axle in 2 lo, the power is so great it would instantly break traction before anything else would happen.

Great mod, one of the reasons I like the Warn lockouts on my X but sometimes I wish I could just flip the switch and go. Kinda hard cutting a harness on a brand new truck, but this seems to be worth it.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did this mod yesterday before hooking my 5th wheel to the new truck for the first time. Works perfect. Made a tight 3 point turn around with no binding, and in 2lo I could move my 40' triple axle trailer around and back it up my driveway with barely touching the throttle. Always planned to do this to my old truck, but never got around to it. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So where do you guys find what pin 30, 87a etc is, and where? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Also - though a Pita - unplugging the connector will also prevent hubs from locking - correct? ( Till I have time to wire this up )
Thanks

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
The pins are usually labeled on the relay. It’s pretty small print, but there should be little numbers molded into the plastic. If they aren’t labeled, you can google “12v relay wiring” there are many images of the pin layouts - you just have to ignore what the diagrams show to hook them up to (since they are for a bunch of different projects)
yes-you can test the mod out just by popping off the connector (from the pictures above) and leaving it disconnected. The dash will tell you “check 4x4 system” as it recognizes the relay is disconnected, but the transfer case will still shift as directed. If you know you won’t need 4x4 but do want to use 2LO, disconnect it and leave it off (say, for a camping trip where you know you’ll need to maneuver a lot around campgrounds). Easy enough to pop the hood and plug it back in (or alternately, just roll your hubs from auto to manual like we had to do for years to get 4x4).

Quick Reply: 2LO mod / 2WD Low / Auto Front Hub Override mod