Small gashes. Should I be worried? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Small gashes. Should I be worried?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Notamechanic253
Freshman User
Notamechanic253 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Small gashes. Should I be worried?

I'm replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket on my 78 f100 4.9 i6 3 speed. As I'm cleaning I notice these small gashes. I posted a picture. Should I be worried about these and fix/replace or just press on?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:28 PM
wa-sleeper
Senior User
wa-sleeper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thoes should be fine .they aren't on the edges of the Intakes or exhaust where they could cause problems.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 PM
flatbedfordguy
Senior User
flatbedfordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
X2 you're good to go!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Notamechanic253
Freshman User
Thanks, I appreciate the responses. Just wanted to make sure

Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Ozzie H.
Elder User
Ozzie H. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As indicated, you'll be O.K. to continue if the ones pictured are the only ones you have. They were likely created by careless cleaning on a previous job. If there are any others that extend into a port and across the gasket's sealing area, and are not too deep, you might consider using a sealant on the gasket.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Notamechanic253
Freshman User
I did see some on the intake manifold itself. I will take a closer look when I get home from work. They're almost identical in shape and depth as the ones I posted earlier. Just to be on the safe side I think I will apply that sealant. Can you recommend a sealant I should use in this particular job? If so, how much should I apply? All over the mating surfaces or just the problem areas in particular?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Ozzie H.
Elder User
Ozzie H. is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Notamechanic253 View Post
I did see some on the intake manifold itself. I will take a closer look when I get home from work. They're almost identical in shape and depth as the ones I posted earlier. Just to be on the safe side I think I will apply that sealant. Can you recommend a sealant I should use in this particular job? If so, how much should I apply? All over the mating surfaces or just the problem areas in particular?
I don't have the 1978 Ford truck shop manual. The 1977 manual says to use a thin coating of graphite grease on the gasket, but they are assuming gouge free surfaces. If you have concerns about any gouged areas I'd use a thin coating of some sealer uniformly on the gasket. There are many sealers available on the market. Some are "brush on", some are "spray on". Permatex is an old company that makes MANY varieties. Loctite is another. Some contain "copper"; others "aluminum". You'll probably get as many opinions as you ask people. Some get hard; others don't. Some do better at higher temperatures; some don't. You can go to your local auto parts store and look through what they have. If I was dong it I'd probably look for a brush on type that could stand some heat since your working around the exhaust. I've used the "copper" types and the Permatex successfully. Put a thin application to both sides of the gasket surfaces. Torque the bolts incrementally according to the tightening sequence.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Notamechanic253
Freshman User
After a bit of discussion with a few guys at the parts store, I decided on a brush on copper sealant. And you werent kidding about everyone having a different approach. Regardless, they all agreed something should be applied after I had found the other gashes. Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate it

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.