Tire Pressure Unloaded - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tire Pressure Unloaded

Old 07-03-2018, 09:49 AM
PentaPop
Elder User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My F250’s door sticker specs 60/65. I experimented a bit and landed on 50/55. No TPMS warnings though. I wonder how much air you have to lose to trip the warning?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 AM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post
My F250ís door sticker specs 60/65. I experimented a bit and landed on 50/55. No TPMS warnings though. I wonder how much air you have to lose to trip the warning?
Just going from (faulty) memory, but my fronts call for 70 psi, and it seems the alarm showed up at 50 psi.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:07 AM
WyoBull
Elder User
WyoBull is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My maximum pressure on the rear tires is 80 psi cold and 60 psi cold on the front tires. This is what I use when I am hauling my truck camper. When unloaded I drop the rear tires to 70 psi cold and 50 psi cold in the front tires.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
PentaPop
Elder User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Just going from (faulty) memory, but my fronts call for 70 psi, and it seems the alarm showed up at 50 psi.
Hey, Thanks! 20 psi gives us a plenty of room for adjustments without having the light on all the time!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
The maximum tire pressure can be found on your tire's sidewall. The door sticker displays Ford's recommended tire pressures, and I would consider those to be minimum values. My experience with our last nine Ford vehicles is their recommended tire pressures are on the low side because we consistently saw more tire wear along the outer edges (front and rear). On our most recent five or six Fords, I've increased tire pressures 5 to 15 PSI above the recommended levels (remaining below the maximum pressures). Tire wear has been more even across the tread and cornering/braking performance has not suffered. FWIW, I'm running 72 PSI at all four corners of my F250. Lowering tire pressure is not the proper method to improve ride quality ... which IMHO seems like a relatively large sacrifice for a little comfort.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Elder User
Busa 1 Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is just because some folks do not know this. The recommended tire inflation pressure on the plate when you open the door may or may not have anything to do with the tires you are running on your truck. Keep this in mind when you buy replacement tires--it can change

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 PM
eberlestock
Posting Guru
eberlestock has a good reputation on FTE.eberlestock has a good reputation on FTE.
I would roll about 45PSI on an empty rig. I only run 65psi when I have my 3000lb camper slipped in the bed!.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 PM
eberlestock
Posting Guru
eberlestock has a good reputation on FTE.eberlestock has a good reputation on FTE.
And if you don't intend to carry max gvw weight go to a D rated tire next time. They will carry about 3200lb per tire which is more than most duties ever carry!

Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 AM
MBuckholz
Senior User
MBuckholz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MBuckholz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
F-350 CCLB lt265/70-17 tires 6.2L

Run 65F/55R unloaded. 70F/80R when hauling my slide in camper.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Larrymac52
Elder User
Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MBuckholz View Post
Run 65F/55R unloaded. 70F/80R when hauling my slide in camper.
60 in F/ 75 in R unloaded Rancho 9000 xl set at 5 in front, 4 in rear. Very comfortable ride.
This is what my door sticker states:

Old 07-04-2018, 05:36 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by eberlestock View Post
And if you don't intend to carry max gvw weight go to a D rated tire next time. They will carry about 3200lb per tire which is more than most duties ever carry!
If the front brakes do 90% of the stopping, my feeble mind simply thinks that 90% of my 10,000# GVWR is then transferred to the front tires. That equates to 4,500# per tire assuming I'm braking in a straight line. Granted, that is very simplistic thinking on my part, and I'm certain there are more accurate formulae to better estimate the tire loads under hard braking. Were you around when the Ford/Firestone tire fiasco was in the news? Firestone mounted a new set of E-rated tires on my Excursion to replace the OEM D-rated firestones.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Lindenwood
Senior User
Lindenwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
If the front brakes do 90% of the stopping, my feeble mind simply thinks that 90% of my 10,000# GVWR is then transferred to the front tires. That equates to 4,500# per tire assuming I'm braking in a straight line. Granted, that is very simplistic thinking on my part, and I'm certain there are more accurate formulae to better estimate the tire loads under hard braking. Were you around when the Ford/Firestone tire fiasco was in the news? Firestone mounted a new set of E-rated tires on my Excursion to replace the OEM D-rated firestones.
Those weight ratings cover all aspects of normal driving up to the max rated speeds.

And, FWIW, the issue with the Firestone / Ford fiasco was that Ford made their new Explorer's suspension too stiff, and wanted to lower tire pressures to compensate. They checked with Firestone, who approved26 PSI. Of course, we all know by know that 26 PSI in any tire under a 5000lb SUV is going to have issues. Firestone took the hit because they were technically the ones who approved that pressure.

All that said, people are usually surprised to see how little pressure the charts actually call for. A factory base model F250 CCSB 6.2 has like 2700lbs on the rear axle, unloaded. That is literally 1350lbs per tire, which would technically call for much lower pressures than any of us would actually run. So, I usually settle somewhere between the charts and my gut. Going to have to get FORscan ASAP!

*edit*
My OEM rear GAW is 2700 lb. I built a calculator to interpolate the pressure vs load chart (so I could input a load and it would spit out a pressure), and have verified its accuracy with every number in the published chart. With the stock weight of 1350 lbs per tire, it spits out 22 PSI! Adding a thousand pounds (3700lb total, 1850 per tire) requires only 38 PSI, and throwing a 3000lb pallet of bricks directly on top of the rear axle (5700lb total, 2850 per tire) still only requires 69 PSI.

Now, I certainly won't run anywhere near 22 PSI unloaded, and even as I experiment with lpwer pressures I would verify anything with the "chalk" test. But, again, I think people are often surprised that we dont actually require sky-high pressures to maintain daily loads.

I am running 50f/50r right now, mostly because my multi-tire inflator inflates and deflates all the tires at once. My fronts look a hair bulgier than Id like, and the rears are certainly on the hard side. If I ever feel motivated to do them separately, I think a good pressure for my vehicle (6.2 CCSB 4x4 with the little 245/75r17s) would be about 55f / 40r, unladen. Ill probably settle on 55/55, though, because I like my inflator/deflator.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:17 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F250ís door sticker specs 60/65. I experimented a bit and landed on 50/55. No TPMS warnings though. I wonder how much air you have to lose to trip the warning?
Excellent question. Any one care to comment as I just picked up my truck yesterday.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Retiredout
Junior User
Retiredout is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F250’s door sticker specs 60/65. I experimented a bit and landed on 50/55. No TPMS warnings though. I wonder how much air you have to lose to trip the warning?
I had a 2004, 2009 and 2015 Ford F 150. All three truck had same size tires. All three trucks had the label on door pillar that read front 35 psi rear 35 psi when cold. When I had the first service done on my 2015 I asked the service manager at the localFord Dealership about the recommended tire pressure in the tires. He acted as if I was talking Greek.Here was my issue. My 2004 and 2009 trucks were steel bodytrucks and my 2015 was a all body aluminum truck. But yet tire pressure for some reason was the same. I have religiously had my trucks serviced every 5000 miles and had the dealership rotate the tires at this time. I have a air compressor at home and weekly check tire pressure. Never a tire wear problem on the 2004 and 2009. The 2015 had premature abnormal tire wear at 20,000 miles the outside and inside tread on all four tires were wearing out and the tread in the middle still looked new. Long story short, bought 4 new identical tires from dealership. Increased tire pressure from 35 psi to 40 and always kept them this way. After 80,000 miles on these tires running 40 psi Vice 35 psi the tires still looked brand new. I contributed all this due to the 2015 being aluminum and lighter and the 2004 and 2009 all steel body.
I now have the F 250 like you and the door pillar states front 60 psi rear 65 psi when cold. I’am watching the tires closely to see if the problem I had with the 2015 rears it’s head on this F 250.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Retiredout View Post
I had a 2004, 2009 and 2015 Ford F 150. All three truck had same size tires. All three trucks had the label on door pillar that read front 35 psi rear 35 psi when cold. When I had the first service done on my 2015 I asked the service manager at the localFord Dealership about the recommended tire pressure in the tires. He acted as if I was talking Greek.Here was my issue. My 2004 and 2009 trucks were steel bodytrucks and my 2015 was a all body aluminum truck. But yet tire pressure for some reason was the same. I have religiously had my trucks serviced every 5000 miles and had the dealership rotate the tires at this time. I have a air compressor at home and weekly check tire pressure. Never a tire wear problem on the 2004 and 2009. The 2015 had premature abnormal tire wear at 20,000 miles the outside and inside tread on all four tires were wearing out and the tread in the middle still looked new. Long story short, bought 4 new identical tires from dealership. Increased tire pressure from 35 psi to 40 and always kept them this way. After 80,000 miles on these tires running 40 psi Vice 35 psi the tires still looked brand new. I contributed all this due to the 2015 being aluminum and lighter and the 2004 and 2009 all steel body.
I now have the F 250 like you and the door pillar states front 60 psi rear 65 psi when cold. Iíam watching the tires closely to see if the problem I had with the 2015 rears itís head on this F 250.
🤔 Youíre saying that on your Ď15 F150 you ran 40 psi and had 80k miles and they still looked new?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Unloaded

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.