1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,168 Likes on 949 Posts
Thumbs up

Same time I pulled the door panel for that passenger window…it was UNPLUGGED! Plugged in, did not work. Pulled out my meter, had 12V to the wiring. Hot wired the window and it went down. Shot ‘Deoxit’ on the contacts and plugged in and out about 20 times, window still works to this day!

I was sick of the truck’s excessive red. So I painted that air intake pipe black. Not perfect but a ton better when I opened the hood, until I picked up a real intake. Every little bit right? Fixed Max AC’s busted vacuum line with some silicone 1/8” stuff.

The truck always seemed to sit low for a dually and used to sound horrid over bumps. Metal on metal sound due to some nonsense drop shackles on it. Ordered a new pair from Ford and installed. I swear I gained 4” of ride height easily. Best part? The two skeletons having sex on a tin roof noise was gone!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Late October, I also changed the rear diff oil with just random gear oils that were still sealed after the flood. Sure, laugh as you may, but that stuff is expensive. I found a bottle of Mobil 1 75W90 and a few 75W140s to toss in, what came out was very nasty. Plus the vent tube was busted off, which I am sure did not help its cause! At least it is clean now, I need to change it again to a high quality synthetic. Hell, same with the motor oil. I have about 70-80 gallons of Mobil Delvac 15W40 around so that is what I have been using in the F150 to save the engine and the F350. Mobil had a sale years back for a ‘buy two, receive $12 back in the mail’. And many auto stores had a ‘buy one, get one’ get deal going for a while. Ended up buying them all for stupid cheap. My supply is about used up, but hey, it was well worth it.

Truck was also starting to be difficult to crank up in the cooler mornings here, low 50s area. Simply was not spinning fast enough on a cold start. I did upgrade the glow plug relay as it was inexpensive and I was in there farting around already. Searched all over about starter upgrades. Many go with a stock reman or a Super Duty unit. Found OEM Denso units at Thoroughbred for around $277 shipped, hey that worked for me. When I initially turned the key I laughed how fast it spun up! I bet it could spin it to build enough heat to start with multiple dead glow plugs if it had to do it.

While cruising junkyards looking for some interior trim and a red tailgate, I found a stock, ZF shift lever in a junkyard F250. I was so sad for it…the truck was 4.9 powered backed by a ZF S5-47. Yes, you read that correct. The truck you have heard about being built, but never seen, I wanted it so bad for a spare back up truck. Slapped it in my rig with a new OE Ford **** and off I went.

I ended up buying another Motive bleeder to replace my old one that floated off, so I could improve the braking of this truck as the fluid was black like charcoal. Took nearly three quarts flushed through the system before it was clear! It helped, but was still out. Rears were doing nearly nothing, but I manually adjusted them for some grab and then I had some rear assist. All for now!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Progress looking good HMX, revive the old beast.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:50 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Looking great man! Love these clean-up/rebuild threads!

Old 07-04-2018, 01:33 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Looking good. Those shackles looked insane. No wonder it sounded bad with how it was rubbing the body

Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribed!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

I bought three sets of tires last year too. Gross. I kept showing up at Discount Tire every day for eight days, either needed tires or had a damned flat due to road debris. Luckily, chance was in my favor on the mid-October weekend when I went there. Bridgestone/Firestone had a big promo there. $100 any set of four ‘BEST’ branded tyres! Also $60 off with my Discount Tire credit card…0% for nine months too. Something else for $70 more, I think this was from Bridgestone direct. Hell yes. Finally something in my favor. These cards always come back in the mail as those prepaid debit things. Bought four tires for the assend and a spare tire, it is some cheaper brand (Hankook Dynapro). For now, I just used a lock with a metal rope thing to attach it to the bent gooseneck tailgate I absolutely despise as you guys will recall the PO removed the spare with its mount. Hey, at least I am getting there.

Around Thanksgiving I had that nasty flu and was ready for a priest. Seriously, could not even get out of bed to ****. Called my brother to pick me up and take me into the bathroom bad. Recovered and ordered more stuff. Turbocharger rebuild kit from SP Turboost and their 5/5 billet wheel. 5/5 apparently was better for low to mid range power and the 7/7 was better for mid range to top end, honestly doubt there would be much difference between them. Best part it has significant rotational mass reduction and modern blade aerodynamics to move air.

Shaft seals were wasted, especially on exhaust side. Compressor wheel was chewed up. Replaced the radius arm bushings with Moog units while down, did their progressive rate coils. HUGE DIFFERENCE in ride quality, anyone that rode in it noticed this. Bilstein HDs on all corners too. Also, was lucky at the junkyard and found all the pieces to mount the spare back under the fuel tank as designed. YES! Bed space back.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

More...

Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

This is also when I tore into the rear drums. I had two primary shoes on one side, two secondary on another !!! One side had no auto adjusters, the other had it but was busted off. Also one drum was really screwed up dimensionally due to some groove. I replaced both, painted brake caliper/drum black. Looks sharp now! Shoes were purchased from Porterfield, their R4-S line which are apparently badass street pads and shoes (front eventually received same) with new drums and new rubber lines, obviously new hardware and cylinders. That was about it until after the first of 2018. Also included are a few pics of how high the water was in my F150!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

My flooded *** F150 :/ Engine is free and lubed, same with the AOD. Along with the 8.8! Boy that was a ton of work. Fingers represent water level. Remember, my driveway is elevated from street significantly.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
What a situation!

Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
And it runs after the flooding? Was this in Tejas?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BBslider001
And it runs after the flooding? Was this in Tejas?

Yes, truck is in Houston off I10 and Highway 6 area.

Just about running, first thing we did when I got there was open all the drain plugs. Water came out for minutes, Kris has this on video. The MAF ECU is dead by my spare was upstairs. Battery cables are all corroded, so I am going to replace those this summer. But it does still crank okay. One of the PSD batteries is from it as it was new in late July/early August for this truck. Hopefully the engine wiring harnesses are okay.

Pulled plugs, turned over motor by hand and pumped water out. Put in five quarts of oil and cranked the engine without plugs to belch out more water. A few cans of WD40 in the cylinders to dry them out, cranked more. Drained the oil as it was still liked a popped gasket despite being fresh. Refilled it and fogged the cylinders with a foaming agent. Same stuff you use to store engines. More cranking to distribute fresh oil. More draining. Finally got it dry inside and out! This had me mad too as I just slipped a HO cam in the truck with my Edelbrock EFI intake. New timing chain and ARP studs for the timing cover. Oil pan was off for fresh ONE PIECE gasket and SVSP Melling pump. It was running late July finally again after being down for a few years. A lot of time went into it. Fresh fuel pumps too, still had junk E7s but easily 75-100rwhp more than a stock truck. If the engine is junk at least I saved my F4TE roller 351W block.

AOD I did the same with draining/filling, filled up with just random ATFs in the garage. Cranked to pump it through the case via the pump, then drained the rest again and filled back up with some plain DexIII/Mercon or whatever is on the market now. If the AOD is bad, they are comically easy to build.

8.8 was the same, irritated more here to as I have an Eaton LSD with 4.10:1s in it. Pulled cover and let it dump out. WD40 to dry it all, wiped out. Repeat. Then filled with some of that sealed gear oil in the garage. Brake shoes rusted to the drums so that was fun freeing those. Now it rolls up and down the driveway.

Lastly used the fuel pump to pump the water/fuel mix from the rear tank. I need to do that again or just drop it, I have not decided yet.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribed

Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Dude, you're an animal.

Quick Reply: The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.