The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco. - Page 14 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.

Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:50 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

Filled up Rojo with oil today, 264500 is the mileage.

Still no tailgates around used. LMC has that aluminum panel now, $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am better off buying a bent used one and a new tailgate to piece together. Still farting around with the clutch seeing if on flat surfaces I can make it roll out in second without a load. I think may be possible!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

265,200 and changed the oil. 5k in a few months, not bad! Added only about two gallons. Should probably change coolant filter.

Ordered an injector armature shim kit, snagged a used Maghytec cover, and o-rings for the fuel tank sending units.

Side tank leaks a hair FULL after I installed a new float...and sender is issue! Will not read past 2/3 What a waste of time, but the new o-ring will cure that and at least has new strainer. Also a vent o-ring just in case. Need to do float and strainer on rear. If the injector shim kit is a waste of time, I will tell you guys...figure it cannot hurt for $70. I have wasted more money for less in the past. I had the MH cover on the 6.4 for nearly 100k, makes servicing sooooooooo much easier. Also, adjusted the passenger door striker and it shuts WAY better. Still need hinge pin bushings, driver side way worse. I will fart with that here in spring.

Weather is ****ty tomorrow, rainy and cold. May hit the junkyards and see if I can turn something cool up. Going to try to drum up a driver vent window assembly and window seal so I can tint this ****. This faded ***, non-heat rejecting tint is terrible. I guess I can at least get the rear window and rear sides done along with the windshield!

Finally pulled about 7k with the truck again after all my ****, boy does it pull easy! Hit about 1250F foot to floor on 'tow' mode with no IC, and it took a while to get there. Pulls great now, I am impressed.

My pal rode in truck as-is and was impressed how it pulled in 'tow' mode considering I have a dying HPOP and a ****ty No 8!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 PM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
oldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to behold
You just keep plugging alone with that Loco. Are you going to put a temp probe in it? I did on mine and it never got very hot except once it was 220.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

I put a coolant one on the coolant filter setup, been to lazy to wire it all up. Need to send my FP gauge to Autometer for a calibration/test. I have oil pressure sender ready to go too, for the gauge. Going to put those behind the shifter. At least that is the plan! Blocked off some of the radiator today to help it warm up faster in city driving.

Just glad I have EGT numbers now, runs pretty cool all things considered even with out the IC. Texas does not have much for hills, so I cannot tell you guys that pull across the Rocky Mountains and such how my numbers would do there. It works well for me in this area, if I was in more terrain I would do an IC quick. For now, HPOP is more important than the IC.

Truck is pretty well ironed out mechanically, just the oil consumption is depressing. At least 15/40 is $3/qt or less every 500ish miles. Once I do a halfassed respray over the Bondo areas, it will look better...same with a real bumper instead of this comical unit.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 PM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
oldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to beholdoldbird1965 is a splendid one to behold
Love gauges but I was referring to a temp probe in the rear end.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Hey now, no probes go near my rear end!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend

Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM
97-psd
Posting Guru
97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.
At Glenn’s age......................

Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 PM
oldbird1965
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 97-psd View Post
At Glenn’s age......................
I always have a probe in my rear. It has a direct line to cruise ships. When it detects I'm getting a little warm they automatically book me to go south and lay on the beach after I cool my rear off in the ocean! Or, I'm sent north where most of you guys live to sit in a snow bank. I think all rear ends should have a probe regardless of age. Any questions? lol

Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Went junkyard trolling yesterday, came up decent.

STILL no clean front bumper. Close and it was bent some...plus did not have the holes like the PSD ones featured. The '97 BBF truck was already crushed and that was lame as it had the correct bumper. The bent bumper truck did have very clean glass, so I grabbed its driver's vent window. Mine is aftermarket and irritates me each time I see the brand. Now back to all Ford. The window guide felt was also in excellent shape, so I grabbed it. I probably should replace the outer and inner felt strip things along with the vent windows seals.

Found two more bucket seats. Color is wrong, BUT all the mechanisms work and the passenger seat foam is like new. So, I can have this foam copied pretty easy and that is a plus. Plus the frames will be used for my seats when I build them. Now I have a total of six buckets to make one good pair, insane. Also need to decide what sort of vinyl and velour pattern I want. I am thinking vinyl on the outer edges with the OE velour up the middle.

The bucket seat truck also had the original jack handle jammed under the rear seat, along with some pocket change that went into my pocket! Been trying to find one without paying through the nose for a while. Jarrett sent me the brackets the PO removed. I have a bottle jack in the tool box of the truck and a good size breaker bar with impact socket. I took a picture, it is a $10 Harbor Freight bar that works fine. 1/2" drive, whatever size socket is correct...7/8" I think. I highly recommend one.

A 1993 Super Duty IDI was there with tow mirrors...but the brainiacs at this yard move vehicles from the sides with forks under a front end loader. So the vehicle slides into it and guess what happens to all the doors, bed sides, and mirrors? Yep! SMASHED UP. I managed to save the mirrors themselves and one of the upper brackets. I am getting closer, I guess.

While pulling my bucket seats I bumped into a plastic tub. Turns out this was the center console insert I have been looking all over for at a reasonable price!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

A few more pictures of the parts -

Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Dude, nice score!!!! I wish I had a decent salvage yard around here. believe it or not, my hometown in California has one of the best I have been to. They get trucks in daily.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM
tshrager
Postmaster
tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
Went junkyard trolling yesterday, came up decent.

STILL no clean front bumper. Close and it was bent some...plus did not have the holes like the PSD ones featured. The '97 BBF truck was already crushed and that was lame as it had the correct bumper. The bent bumper truck did have very clean glass, so I grabbed its driver's vent window. Mine is aftermarket and irritates me each time I see the brand. Now back to all Ford. The window guide felt was also in excellent shape, so I grabbed it. I probably should replace the outer and inner felt strip things along with the vent windows seals.

Found two more bucket seats. Color is wrong, BUT all the mechanisms work and the passenger seat foam is like new. So, I can have this foam copied pretty easy and that is a plus. Plus the frames will be used for my seats when I build them. Now I have a total of six buckets to make one good pair, insane. Also need to decide what sort of vinyl and velour pattern I want. I am thinking vinyl on the outer edges with the OE velour up the middle.

The bucket seat truck also had the original jack handle jammed under the rear seat, along with some pocket change that went into my pocket! Been trying to find one without paying through the nose for a while. Jarrett sent me the brackets the PO removed. I have a bottle jack in the tool box of the truck and a good size breaker bar with impact socket. I took a picture, it is a $10 Harbor Freight bar that works fine. 1/2" drive, whatever size socket is correct...7/8" I think. I highly recommend one.

A 1993 Super Duty IDI was there with tow mirrors...but the brainiacs at this yard move vehicles from the sides with forks under a front end loader. So the vehicle slides into it and guess what happens to all the doors, bed sides, and mirrors? Yep! SMASHED UP. I managed to save the mirrors themselves and one of the upper brackets. I am getting closer, I guess.

While pulling my bucket seats I bumped into a plastic tub. Turns out this was the center console insert I have been looking all over for at a reasonable price!

Not sure what shipping would be, but Ive got a couple of bumpers.