1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Proper towing practices to reduce transmission heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbj
I do have the radiator cooler in my 2002. Curious on leaving the OD on. I thought it was always common practice to turn OD off when towing unless you can tow in OD at high speeds without it searching for gears. Does OD have effect at low speeds?
No, it does not have an effect at low speeds.
Originally Posted by Mickey Bitsko
MK, I thought all Ford transmissions lock in desired selected gears... No?
my 4r70 will not start in first if I put selector in second from a dead stop, my c6 was the same way.
I've never seen either a 4R70W nor a C6 that would do that. Every one of them that I've driven start and stay in 2 when the shifter is in 2. I can't explain how you had the only two that don't do that.
Ford recommends towing with od OFF.
It's in the owners manual.
No, it is not. Go read it again. Ford recommends towing in overdrive UNLESS it is frequently shifting in and out of overdrive.
Not sure about the new generation of Ford transmissions.
Pulling grades at 10 mph I pull my shifter into first to lock tc and try to stay in the lower end of the power band, but that's in my 5.4 2v
Avoid lugging any part of the drivetrain.
When the shifter is in 1 there is a hydraulic circuit that forces the torque converter clutch to UNLOCK. It is impossible for the torque converter clutch to lock in manual 1. If you are in automatic first gear it can lock if the throttle is open at least 75%.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
MK, I think we are saying the same thing,
sorry if I explained. wrong , Ford RECOMMENDS locking out of overdrive if you're experiencing frequent down shifts while towing heavy loads.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
MK, I think we are saying the same thing,
sorry if I explained. wrong , Ford RECOMMENDS locking out of overdrive if you're experiencing frequent down shifts while towing heavy loads.
So does common sense.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Years ago my father and I towed his 24' Bayliner from CA to Vancouver island with his iirc 05' 2wd F-250 with the 5.4 not sure what auto trans, it had but plenty of power. When it was his turn to drive he would leave it in od, I explained that it's hard on the transmission shifting up and down constantly creating extra heat.
He understood what I was explaining, but in his way of thinking OD meant extra power or stronger pulling power if you will. After that experience I can understand how people can think that way if they are not tow or truck savvy.

RIP Dad..

Old 06-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I don't think you remember correctly. An '05 2wd F-250 did not have any way to turn off overdrive. All '05 F-205s had a TOW/HAUL button which would not turn off overdrive.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Thanks.. not surprised I don't remember,
thanks for the correction.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:28 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
So trying to clarify for my situation:

I DO NOT want to tow my trailer up the hill with trans gear selector in 2 or 1? This would be bad? Maybe 2nd would be bad (too high a gear for this situation and would cause extra heat), but 1st might be okay (somebody on my last trip told me to drop it into 1st low gear and start climbing)?

I'd be better off leaving the truck in Drive, and putting it into 4x4 Low mode (and likely do the Sous mod) to keep the front wheels from locking if not needed? Is this correct?

Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be better off leaving the truck in Drive, and putting it into 4x4 Low mode (and likely do the Sous mod) to keep the front wheels from locking if not needed? Is this correct?
Yes, for a 10MPH climb, put it in 4LO on the transfer case and D on the column, and let the transmission decide from there. But if the tranny is "hunting" for gears, press OD off (or press tow/haul if that is the label on your shifter).

As to the mod to make it 2LO, really does not matter on a dirt/gravel road but can be worth the mod on hard pavement.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:00 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I DO NOT want to tow my trailer up the hill with trans gear selector in 2 or 1? This would be bad? Maybe 2nd would be bad (too high a gear for this situation and would cause extra heat), but 1st might be okay (somebody on my last trip told me to drop it into 1st low gear and start climbing)?

Putting it in 2 wont let the transmission shift into 3rd or 4th (OD)

Putting it in 1 wont let the transmission shift into 2nd, 3rd or 4th

Put it in 4 wheel low and go!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Yes, leave it in drive with the OD engaged in 4x4low range. Now this is on the dirt road. I also believe 220 although high will not hurt your trans for the time you will be towing. You shouldn't be seeing that high of temp in low range. And it should pull really well. Just remember to take it out when done. Needs to be in neutral with foot on the brake. If it don't come out, back up a little, then forward and try again. That does happen some times.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:29 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I do this in Mexico on the dirt roads but I find letting the hubs engage really reduces my turning radius while trying to turn around and launch a boat. The turning radius on the crew cabs already sucks on these trucks. I've been unplugging the PVH solenoid to remedy this but once I do the "Sous" mod I won't have to pull over and do that anymore.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:31 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I don't mind at all. I took a great deal of time to decide on the layout and am very happy with it. This is the reason 6post information is for others to learn from my experiences.
I won't be able to put mine next to the 4WD switch because I have Park Aid there but I am hoping to put it next to the power point.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will give it a go in 4Low on the next trip. I changed the fluid in the transfer case yesterday in preparation for giving it a workout coming up.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
It would be helpful to others if you report back on your findings, good luck with the test.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Correct.

Originally Posted by akcooper9
Putting it in 2 wont let the transmission shift into 3rd or 4th (OD)
Or to 1. When in 2 the transmission starts in 2 and stays in 2.

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I also believe 220 although high will not hurt your trans for the time you will be towing.
You can run up to 220F all day long with no problems. You can go as high as 250F for up to a half hour at a time.

Quick Reply: Proper towing practices to reduce transmission heat?