1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Proper towing practices to reduce transmission heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:11 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
You have to have 20 or 30 posts in order to have a signature and if you are posting from a phone, they won't show up anyway.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
How long is a "long steady grade"? Is it 1/2 mile, 2 miles?

Either way, if I were in your situation and not in a hurry to get up the hill I would stop at the bottom, put it in 4 LO and let it crawl up the hill. Once at the top and sitting on level ground, shift it back into 2WD and go about your business.

Dan V is mentioning the 2WD LO mod. I have done a video on how to accomplish this via a switch in the cab and it works well. If you wanted to just pull the 3 wire connector on the solenoid that would accomplish the same thing though. Below is the video.

https://youtu.be/fwcHGU_Z3CI
It is probably 2-4 miles long. I'm not 100% sure. It seems longer than it probably is because of how slow I have to go.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't catch the 10MPH part until now, definitely would consider 4LO for that. If you have manual hubs, you don't need to engage them if you don't need 4WD. Since the grade is dirt, 4WD won't hurt anything either.

And check the fan clutch, make sure the cooling fan is working.

Turning off the A/C might also help a bit... Did you happen to notice the engine coolant and oil temps on the previous hauls?

Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
I don't recall those temperatures but nothing stood out except for the transmission temp. Don't know much about the fan clutch operation, but I see the fan spinning. Most of the time in heavy tows I turn off the AC (pisses the family off, but gotta do it). I'm going to hose down all the coolers just in case, even though I don't see anything obvious.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
How long is a "long steady grade"? Is it 1/2 mile, 2 miles?

Either way, if I were in your situation and not in a hurry to get up the hill I would stop at the bottom, put it in 4 LO and let it crawl up the hill. Once at the top and sitting on level ground, shift it back into 2WD and go about your business.

Dan V is mentioning the 2WD LO mod. I have done a video on how to accomplish this via a switch in the cab and it works well. If you wanted to just pull the 3 wire connector on the solenoid that would accomplish the same thing though. Below is the video.

https://youtu.be/fwcHGU_Z3CI
Thanks for the video. That is interesting. So this would put it in lower gear than say switching the transmission selector to 1? Would you turn this switch on, and run the transmission selector in 1 or regular Drive?

So theoretically this would make the transmission work easier and cause less heat?

Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HKusp
You have to have 20 or 30 posts in order to have a signature and if you are posting from a phone, they won't show up anyway.
Thanks for the info. Guess I'm going to have to start posting more. Noticed I couldn't send PM's out yet either.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Also what year is your truck? Early 99 thru early 00 most trucks were not equiped with a radiator cooler. You can buy the cooling lines thru ford you will aslo need a new radiator that has the transcooler in it.
But, they all had Transmission Coolers. Use a 1/4" NTPM and a length of Tubing, Flair End and 1/4 NPTF and route to radiator. From Radiator to Cooler same way, and finally Cooler to original Connection. About $20 and a much better set-up for cooling.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:19 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I skipped past all other posts after seeing someone suggest 4x4hi which will not help at all. Put it in 4 low, probably 2nd gear. That'll keep the revs up and the slippage on the torque converter low. It might actually lock the converter making for 0 slip, never paid attention to the TCC strategy in low range. The torque converter is where most of the heat is made, keeping the 'slippage' low is key. High RPM at low throttle in a low gear will give little slip and high fan speed to pull air across the cooler. Low RPM in a higher gear will give more slip and less fan.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:23 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbj
I'm not finding a signature option under user CP.
That will appear after a new user has 5 posts and 10 days registered. You're past the 5 posts so, since you registered on the 21'st, you should see the sig option on July 1. I have no clue how precise that clock is, so it may occur on July 2.

Stewart

Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Hey Sous I know you shared it in the original thread which I can't find but where did you get the switch?

Old 06-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Hey Sous I know you shared it in the original thread which I can't find but where did you get the switch?
Post #6 should provide the answer you are looking for.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-to-video.html

Great people to deal with from my experience.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the video. That is interesting. So this would put it in lower gear than say switching the transmission selector to 1? Would you turn this switch on, and run the transmission selector in 1 or regular Drive?

So theoretically this would make the transmission work easier and cause less heat?
I have a manual ZF6 truck, so I would not be the best person to answer this question. Although, I would say once in 4WD LOW then just put the truck back into Drive and keep it slow and steady going up the grade.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
I have a manual ZF6 truck, so I would not be the best person to answer this question. Although, I would say once in 4WD LOW then just put the truck back into Drive and keep it slow and steady going up the grade.
So the equivalent to your mod would be disconnecting that ESOF connector that you tapped into the ground wire, and then turn the selector switch to 4x4 low position? This would engage the transfer case and go in low, but the hubs won't be locked to turn the front tires. Is that correct? I don't have the time to do your mod before my next trip. So wanted to be sure on the equivalent in the meantime.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 AM
sjbj
Laughing Gas
People talk about torque converter lockup and torque converter slipping (slipping causing added heat). Is this something you can feel? How do you know when your torque converter is locked up? How do you know if your torque converter is slipping?

The only time I ever felt anything weird with my transmission when it was already too late and overheated and puked out the fluid on my 2nd trip, and would not move. Other than that time, I haven't felt it do anything weird (just getting hot). So not sure how I would know if it was slipping causing this extra heat.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
So the equivalent to your mod would be disconnecting that ESOF connector that you tapped into the ground wire, and then turn the selector switch to 4x4 low position? This would engage the transfer case and go in low, but the hubs won't be locked to turn the front tires. Is that correct? I don't have the time to do your mod before my next trip. So wanted to be sure on the equivalent in the meantime.
That is correct. This is what I used to do before I completed the mod. The ZF6 has a very high reverse gear, so much so that the engineers must have been laughing at us when they designed it.

If I have ANYTHING hooked to the back of the truck, I use 2WD LO to back up. If I just have the truck and nothing on the back, then normal reverse works well enough.

Quick Reply: Proper towing practices to reduce transmission heat?