2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Recovery/ tow tools for pulling someone out of mud/sand

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CUScorpion

A 2WD stuck in gravel was the title of this thread? You could actually use a full chain in this unique scenario. You're trying to tell someone who presumably doesn’t have any experience with this situation to carry around several setups and make a judgement call on which one to use? Just don’t hook the ****** strap to the tail pipe and it’ll be ok.
CU - thanks for your comments. Also, congrats on the recent purchase of your new 350 and recently joining the forum. Welcome!
Yes, pulling a stuck vehicle out of gravel is nearly exactly what the OP said in the title, and fits perfectly with the question OP posted. What gear would I need for pulling someone out of mud/sand (gravel surely counts, and it doesn’t matter if the stuck vehicle is 1, 2, or 4 wheel drive if you are still interested in helping someone).
You are also advocating to use a full 30 foot chain now? Quote - you could actually use a full chain in this unique scenario - unquote. Interesting turn around from your previous comment of don’t use a chain. I recommend against using a full 30 ft chain if you can avoid it, but I recognize your comment that it can be done.
It also appears that you do not recommend carrying several different tools to help match the tool to the recovery. A ****** strap certainly works well in some conditions. It’s kind of the hammer of recovery gear. Even when a screw driver or multimeter would be a better tool, a hammer can sometimes get the job done. Kind of a “hold my beer” tool (to use HRTKDs point). They work great in mud and sand when there are solid anchor points, yes. They are pretty poor, though, when careful control is required or maneuvering room is restricted.
For the OP, I appreciate your question, and there are several good answers in this thread (with more to come, I’m sure). Research each component on your own to make sure each is right for your needs, and go out there and have fun!

Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM
CUScorpion
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuctrooper

CU - thanks for your comments. Also, congrats on the recent purchase of your new 350 and recently joining the forum. Welcome!
Yes, pulling a stuck vehicle out of gravel is nearly exactly what the OP said in the title, and fits perfectly with the question OP posted. What gear would I need for pulling someone out of mud/sand (gravel surely counts, and it doesn’t matter if the stuck vehicle is 1, 2, or 4 wheel drive if you are still interested in helping someone).
You are also advocating to use a full 30 foot chain now? Quote - you could actually use a full chain in this unique scenario - unquote. Interesting turn around from your previous comment of don’t use a chain. I recommend against using a full 30 ft chain if you can avoid it, but I recognize your comment that it can be done.
It also appears that you do not recommend carrying several different tools to help match the tool to the recovery. A ****** strap certainly works well in some conditions. It’s kind of the hammer of recovery gear. Even when a screw driver or multimeter would be a better tool, a hammer can sometimes get the job done. Kind of a “hold my beer” tool (to use HRTKDs point). They work great in mud and sand when there are solid anchor points, yes. They are pretty poor, though, when careful control is required or maneuvering room is restricted.
For the OP, I appreciate your question, and there are several good answers in this thread (with more to come, I’m sure). Research each component on your own to make sure each is right for your needs, and go out there and have fun!
What I said was you could use a chain. You obviously have limited experience here because it does matter how many tires are pulling. A 2WD (usually just 1 tire pulling) will be sitting different than a 4WD (with 2 tires pulling, usually on opposite sides, or 3, two rear, one front). But go ahead and use your cool chain slingshot. The hook is also a crappy idea.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
In my exxpereince, all I've ever needed is a stout recovery strap, some D rings, and a strong light you can point. Its almost always getting dark by the time someone calls for help, so the light usually helps quite a bit.

This is a great strap that comes with D-rings and has a nice, tidy case to put it all in. The Max Tracks are amazing in mud and sand, but we usually only take those to long Baja trips where there's really no other option than get yourself out or abandon ship.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
There are some good suggestions here BUT USING A CHAIN ISN'T ONE OF THEM I say this from a nearly deadly experience with using a chain for a recovery attempt...Chain was just long enough that when it broke close to the hitch on my truck it whipped back went through the back glass right next to my buddy's wife's head..

Get a quality JERK strap and a couple Crosby brand shackles to match the capability of the strap.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nuctrooper

thank everyone for their experience. Yes I truly believe in Harry Callahan’s statement that “a Man needs to know his limitations, “ and therefore I’ll take some of these valuable suggestions that I feel I can do safely and keep it simple. Thanks again to all the contributions.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So - is a receiver hitch with ball a safe place to attack a tow strap ? I know a shackle would be better through the ball mount hole - if I happen to have a 1 5/16 wrench with..

Old 06-27-2018, 10:06 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
So - is a receiver hitch with ball a safe place to attack a tow strap ? I know a shackle would be better through the ball mount hole - if I happen to have a 1 5/16 wrench with..
safe? Well, for a low stress pull maybe, but for a full power pull of a stuck vehicle, there are numerous stories of trailer ***** snapping off and the tow strap going through the window of the towed vehicle. Either limit the stress, or pull the ball mount completely out and shove the tow strap loop into the 2” receiver and secure it with the draw bar pin.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
I've used the ball before but one of these (tow strap mount) is likely better to use. I also use the safety chain mounting points and a D-ring. One other thing that some folks learn the hard way, the tow hooks on the front of the truck should be used when recovering your vehicle, not someone else. In general, you don't want to be pulling in reverse when in 4Hi or 4Lo. I don't know how tough the front differential is on the Superduty, but in 1/2 ton trucks I've seen the differential get destroyed by a reverse pull in 4Lo.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I've used the ball before but one of these (tow strap mount) is likely better to use. I also use the safety chain mounting points and a D-ring. One other thing that some folks learn the hard way, the tow hooks on the front of the truck should be used when recovering your vehicle, not someone else. In general, you don't want to be pulling in reverse when in 4Hi or 4Lo. I don't know how tough the front differential is on the Superduty, but in 1/2 ton trucks I've seen the differential get destroyed by a reverse pull in 4Lo.

Agree ...... I use this one ... Bulldog Winch Receiver https://www.etrailer.com/Off-Road-Accessories/Bulldog-Winch/BDW20186.html

On a side note ..... I get amused when I see F250/350 size vehicles riding around with 5-6000 lb ball mounts. Certainly OK for if they are only hauling small trailers or boats .... But

Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 AM
Warhound
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL the reason i got an F250 this time is the fact i carry so much gear all the time.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Warhound
LOL the reason i got an F250 this time is the fact i carry so much gear all the time.
Thanks for the recommendations. For a rookie like me, it’s all good.
So I got Rhino shackles for the front and a Curt shackle Receiver for the back( Curt was the only one I could find that had a 2 1/2” receiver.)
I haven’t bought the recovery strap yet, but was leaning to the Rhino. Any others I should look into?
Besides price and the obvious, are there any downsides to a 30’ over 20’ rope?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
I would tend toward the 30' over the 20'. A 30' line/strap can be doubled up to make it shorter. A 20' line/strap can't be made any longer. A factor that might go into that decision is storage space.

EDIT: When I say "doubled up" I don't mean with a knot.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I would tend toward the 30' over the 20'. A 30' line/strap can be doubled up to make it shorter. A 20' line/strap can't be made any longer. A factor that might go into that decision is storage space.

EDIT: When I say "doubled up" I don't mean with a knot.
I understand and that makes sense.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:53 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,708 Likes on 1,318 Posts
A chain is fine to use, if you know how to use one properly. In my 15 years of fourwheeling, a chain is all I have used. I just bought my first ****** strap this past winter.

Now, I'm not saying for every newbie to run out and grab a Home Depot "5/16 tow chain" and have at it....

Chain, straps, mats, winches, etc...are all tools. Use the best tool for the job, and get educated in how to use those tools.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:45 AM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
As others have said, it's all how you use the tools at your disposal. Personally, I'm not a fan of anything that involves snatching or jerking a vehicle. We had a soldier at a FOB get killed in Iraq when some guys with a chain thought they could ****** a stuck semi out of pea gravel. They lacked the wisdom and experience to know what could go wrong and a guy observing off to the side (actually a very long way) took a broken chain link to the head.

My preferred tool is a winch since it is slow and very controllable and I'll tie off to another vehicle or solid object, but that may not be an option in the middle of a sand dune. Spend a few minutes on youtube watching "off road recovery fails". At a minimum, it could be slightly educational.

Even winching has it's hazards which is why I've gone to synthetic rope on my winch equipped vehicles. I've broke 4 steel winch cables on a smaller bulldozer nearly 25 summers ago. Probably about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch in diameter. If it wasn't for the cage around the driver, I wouldn't be typing this post....

Quick Reply: Recovery/ tow tools for pulling someone out of mud/sand