Notices
1966 - 1977 Early Broncos  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Bronco

Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
grinnergetter has a good reputation on FTE.grinnergetter has a good reputation on FTE.
Small bearing axle. So the deal is the driver side was replaced at the point where the wheel fell off. No idea where that axle came from but the surface the bearing rides on is larger than stock...….weird.

I suppose I could chuck it up but I have a Smithy so were not talkin precision right there.

I don't mind upgrading a bunch of stuff....just didn't want to get carried away with a rear axle just yet. This situation is fixin this...might as well do that.....snowball effect in full force.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:23 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.
still stock bearing @ side. That's all they have 4 sizes.
Just not sure stock 2 what. Mike it, replace w/same?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
grinnergetter has a good reputation on FTE.grinnergetter has a good reputation on FTE.
I think someone used what they had available....not sure exactly how but I bet that's what happened. Removing the 3rd member this weekend to inspect. Hopefully that will point me in the correct direction.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
All good on the southern, northern and midwestern fronts. In other words nothing bad came out of either axle or T/C. Sooooo, think I'm gonna get me a new third member with a True Trac and do the 31 spline axles....I think.

Those copper washers on the rear end studs sure were fun. Had to chisel them suckers off. Wouldn't be so bad if seeing things up close wasn't such a problem lately. I decided I need readers with mo power when under vehicles.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.chrlsful has a good reputation on FTE.
get the same thing when under there'n up close'n personal. Can't tip the head easy to catch the lower prt of the bifocals.
Got the D44? Will U go double lockers?

Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
Going to leave the 44 an open diff for now. I'll get it done eventually.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 PM
chrlsful
Postmaster
like the OX up there, ck in out.
Good partner 4 da TruTrak.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM
fordguy2100
Elder User
fordguy2100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fordguy2100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Back end suspension went with ease. Front...not so much. I figure it's been 25 years since I worked on a 44. Having me a bunch of ahaa's the past few days.
Good thing is I'm gonna have to have some more tools. Wooohooo!

Gained an inch from this.

This is one of those..."while I'm here" moments.

I just can't bring myself to put many parts back on without a trip through the blast cabinet and paint booth.

What paint did you use? The stuff I bought from Napa ended up flaking pretty bad

Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 AM
chrlsful
Postmaster
"...What paint did you use? The stuff I bought from Napa ended up flaking pretty bad..."
U may need better prep?
Paint seems to be the minor detail in the process: remove ol paint, clean, scuff, prime, paint.
Each of the forgoing operations needs done w/understanding re: chemical'n physical details toward end product, compatibility of chems, & end use.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 AM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
Eastwoods ceramic paint for the blue and Ace Rust Stop for Black.

I've used quite a bit of the Chassis Saver line of paints and have had really good results. Holds up very well without all the prep.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
Finally accumulated all the rear axle parts and figured that I might as well blast and paint the housing. Did a new Moser third member and axles with True Trac. Hope to get assembled in the next few days. Got all new side markers and running lights in the grill. Headlight adjusters etc.

Took a look at the roof and found a bunch of paint had flaked off so I put the worst Chassis Saver brush job ever to keep the rust away til I get to that.

Still waiting on tie rod/ drag link from BC...one of those places that says they have it online and don't really have items in stock. Great knowledge and poor CS in my opinion. No communication on their part either. Anyhow....forward progress.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 PM
grinnergetter
Postmaster
Rear axle is on finally and I still don't have E brake cables so thought I might as well clean up the DS and whadya know. Somebody clamped it in a vice and pinched the tube. PERFECT!!!! just what I want to hook to a brand new rear axle.

Front end is finally wrapped up.

I'm sure it would be fine if I never went over 40mph and the pics don't really show how deep the wound is. Of course clamping it 2" north would have saved me some cash but then you couldn't clamp down tight enough to keep it from moving for whatever reason. Sigh

On the bright side the 1" body lift went off without a hitch. Win some, loose some.

Spent a week in WY and highlight was spotting these rams at about 50 yards. One on top is an old, old ram.