Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

US Govt Continues to Back Ford Inefficiencies, Waste, Consumer Gouging

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
US Govt Continues to Back Ford Inefficiencies, Waste, Consumer Gouging

Little is written about this topic, but one of the reasons Ford is able to routinely gouge customers in the pickup truck market is due to the fact the US Government imposes a 25% import tax on foreign pickup trucks. All Uncle Sam is doing is continuing to underwrite Ford's inefficiencies and consumers pay the price with artificially high pickup truck prices. Ford makes obscene margins on its F-Series and it's largely due to the 25% import tax -- consumers are getting shafted compliments of the Fraud, Waste and Abuse coming out of the US Government.

It's time for the Fraud, Waste and Abuse Federal Government to drop the 25% import tax (on the books for decades) and allow foreign manufacturers to compete fairly in the US' truck market.

Watch as prices start to fall on the F-Series BIG TIME once this happens.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Exactly who makes a full size pickup outside the US, beside FCA (RAM), and GM with plants in Mexico? Titian and Tundra are US made. Full size pickups are not present in an other markets around the world.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Having lived in Europe for over 2 years now, I have yet to see anything built/driven over here that I'd really want to take back to the US, at least when it comes to a modern vehicle. The trucks over here are smaller, underpowered and there isn't much that would compete with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM
tidefan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't hold your breath thinking "prices will fall". The market determines "prices" and Ford sells every truck it builds.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 AM
KingOfTheMemes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the thing: whenever I've bought a Ford (and to a large degree, a Dodge) truck - mind you, with the options that I've determined to be the most optimal for me regardless of bells and whistles - I ALMOST ALWAYS come out of the deal feeling like the truck is worth EVERY DOLLAR I've spent on it. I have never felt like I was getting gouged.

Now, with "luxury" brand vehicles - that's where I've always felt gouged.

I'm not being sarcastic when I write this so if you feel the need to write more please do. I always want to learn. Thanks

Old 06-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 1990
Little is written about this topic, but one of the reasons Ford is able to routinely gouge customers in the pickup truck market is due to the fact the US Government imposes a 25% import tax on foreign pickup trucks. All Uncle Sam is doing is continuing to underwrite Ford's inefficiencies and consumers pay the price with artificially high pickup truck prices. Ford makes obscene margins on its F-Series and it's largely due to the 25% import tax -- consumers are getting shafted compliments of the Fraud, Waste and Abuse coming out of the US Government.

It's time for the Fraud, Waste and Abuse Federal Government to drop the 25% import tax (on the books for decades) and allow foreign manufacturers to compete fairly in the US' truck market.

1) if it is built in the USA, there are no tariffs just like the Tundra and Tacoma are.
2) Name 1 manufacturer that has a competitor to the Big 3 in THEIR own country that they could import?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
1) if it is built in the USA, there are no tariffs just like the Tundra and Tacoma are.
2) Name 1 manufacturer that has a competitor to the Big 3 in THEIR own country that they could import?
Izuzu? I guess it's not really a pickup.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:58 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts

You get the knuckle head award of the day for telling only the part of the story that fits your narrative. Perhaps you can go do a little research on other vehicle producing countries tariffs on US manufactured vehicles and then report back to the forum.

You might also want to see where Ford landed on the recent JDP Initial Quality ratings for 2018 before you start yapping about price. You get what you pay for. Besides, if 300,000 people can afford one, is it really overpriced? Additionally, foreign manufacturers have taken advantage of stupid US politicians and globalist for too long. If anything, we should match tariff for tariff. Germany and Japan are some of the biggest protectionist. Why aren't you jabbering about the tariffs they place on US cars?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kreep
Izuzu? I guess it's not really a pickup.
With the Titan, Tacoma and Tundra all made in the USA, there are no additional taxes or tariffs so really dont know what the point of this thread is.

If either of them really wanted to try to compete, they could... but they dont.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:20 PM
mts6175
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We charge the 2.5%, not 25%. The EU charges 10% and China charges 25%. You tell me who's on the wrong side of the tariff game........

Old 06-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mts6175
We charge the 2.5%, not 25%. The EU charges 10% and China charges 25%. You tell me who's on the wrong side of the tariff game........
I thought the same thing but what I researched said we charge 2.5% on cars, 25% on trucks.

This is known as the chicken tax.. this is one reason Ford was Building the transits, disassembling them, shipping them to the US and reassembling them before the Govt. caught on... avoiding the 25% tax.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Old 06-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.... dude.... you remind me of the Trump haters I see posting all over the place these days. Unbridled hate based on a bunch of BS. Seems to be in all of your posts.

Ford isn't gouging anybody. Nobody is forced to buy an F Series. If prices were unreasonable the F Series wouldn't be one of the world's best selling vehicles. Not to mention Ford isn't responsible for tariffs, the government is. Don't like tariffs? Call your congressman.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

What dark room did you just emerge from?

And yes there has been a lot written and reported on about this very topic lately you either missed it or don't understand how unfair things are with foreign trade.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Raptor Rob
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The way I read this "and I could be totally off base". Is that Ford doesn't Pay the 25% Tariff but charge prices like they do pay the tax. I think all Vehicles are over priced, but what are You going to do?

A wise Old Timer once told Me. As Far back as He can remember, a luxury or high end Vehicle has always cost about an average Years Salary.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mts6175
Dude, get a grip --- it's 25% on pickup trucks...................here's the Federal Schedule:

https://hts.usitc.gov/current

And for those who don't read (much).......the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Quick Reply: US Govt Continues to Back Ford Inefficiencies, Waste, Consumer Gouging