8.8 rear end questions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

8.8 rear end questions

Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Harryinky
Freshman User
Harryinky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well here's an update for anyone interested. I now have another rear end installed, and I think I'm finally over the worst on this journey. I guess expecting a used "takeout" unit with no history attached, and possibly sky high mileage, to perform without issue was probably not my best choice to begin with, but time was limited.
I decided to try another road. This time I just picked up a core from the local salvage yard, and started from scratch. This too was a learning experience. I located a 3:55 trac loc unit out of a low mileage Expedition from a source in Indiana and was able to have the guts removed and shipped to me. Gathered up the necessary bearings, seals, etc. and started on a "do it yourself" project. I was expecting a challenge, and it didn't disappoint. One of the first mistakes was misjudging the sturdiness(or lack thereof) of the threaded portion of an 8.8 pinion shaft. Not realizing the importance of protecting that when pressing off the old bearing was another lesson learned. I was able to locate yet ANOTHER low mile 3:55 gear set (for anther $100) that actually looked better yet.
There was a lot more trial and error than I'd hoped, and I didn't keep track of the hours spent or the number of times the gears were in and out, but eventually I got a pattern I was happy with. The trac loc plates had plenty of time to soak while all this was going on. I followed the advice from a number of posts on this site regarding the stacking of the clutch plates (one steel, one clutch, one steel, one clutch, etc) rather than to factory stack with two steels back to back then a clutch.
I finally got it put in about three weeks ago and have put about 600 miles on it at this point It seems to be really quiet so far. The dif lok is definitely more aggressive than I expected, but I'm okay with that. I don't see any of the one wheel slippage I had with the open rear end.
I plan to put a few thousand miles on it, then drop and inspect the fluid as well as whatever else is visible with the cover off. All in all I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, but maybe not so much with what I had to go through to get here.