Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant decide Carli or PMF?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Warhound
Senior User
Warhound is starting off with a positive reputation.
I cant decide Carli or PMF?

Well i installed my King Coilovers and now i want to get the next part of my frankenlift. I cant decide between the Carli Radius arms with their Deaver spec springs or the PMF 3-link arms with their spec Deavers. I have a Carli track bar on the way and PMF swaybar links so im in the middle of the road brand wise, all i know for sure is i want Deavers for the rear. I know alot of people run the Carli Radius arms so i have no doubt they are awesome but id like to hear about the PMF 3-link set up if anyone has it.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 AM
honda250xtitan
Elder User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
The PMF setup is adjustable. Carli arms are not. The PMF arms are much cheaper too. The carli arms look awesome though.

Have you seen these? Similar to carli arms but these have an adjustable upper link Home

Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 AM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here are my 2 cents: The Carli is an awesome unit if you need no adjustment. It is engineered to work with the rest of their system either 2.5" or 4.5", they make different arms for each use. Are you going to run their stuff and that is it? If you buy the 2.5" lift and you want more in the future you need to run their drop brackets to. Really, after spending that much money you have to spend MORE for freakin' brackets or replace the entire arm.

The PMF is adjustable but only uses heim joints. This gives you no isolation dampening between the axle and the frame. Not optimal for a highway cruiser. Will it work, yes, just more maintenance.

The lewis is fully adjustable and uses a Johnny Joint at the frame which provides both articulation and isolation dampening. It is a compromise but an excellent one. Right now I"m leaning toward the lewis. I need to get my truck and start modifying it before I make the final decision but I don't think I'll change my mind.

I play in the jeep world too. I like to dial in my axle placement, true once it is there "I set it and forget it" but if I make changes I just dial it back to what I want instead of having to replace parts.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
personally when I lift my truck I will be going PMF for the adjustability. but now looking at the lewis...

Old 06-26-2018, 04:55 PM
brentadams646
Senior User
brentadams646 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Here are my 2 cents: The Carli is an awesome unit if you need no adjustment. It is engineered to work with the rest of their system either 2.5" or 4.5", they make different arms for each use. Are you going to run their stuff and that is it? If you buy the 2.5" lift and you want more in the future you need to run their drop brackets to. Really, after spending that much money you have to spend MORE for freakin' brackets or replace the entire arm.

The PMF is adjustable but only uses heim joints. This gives you no isolation dampening between the axle and the frame. Not optimal for a highway cruiser. Will it work, yes, just more maintenance.

The lewis is fully adjustable and uses a Johnny Joint at the frame which provides both articulation and isolation dampening. It is a compromise but an excellent one. Right now I"m leaning toward the lewis. I need to get my truck and start modifying it before I make the final decision but I don't think I'll change my mind.

I play in the jeep world too. I like to dial in my axle placement, true once it is there "I set it and forget it" but if I make changes I just dial it back to what I want instead of having to replace parts.
The Carli radius arms are the same for either the 2.5" or the 4.5" kits, and are not required to be installed as part of any of their systems. So if you can't justify running their radius arms, you don't have too.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 PM
toymaster
Elder User
Originally Posted by brentadams646 View Post
The Carli radius arms are the same for either the 2.5" or the 4.5" kits, and are not required to be installed as part of any of their systems. So if you can't justify running their radius arms, you don't have too.
https://www.carlisuspension.com/ford...dius-arms.html

Your right, I did not read all of the specs, both are 1.25 degree caster correction, the difference in the options listed on the page linked above is the limiting straps. As for as "you don't have too", yeah you don't have to run the correct toe-in or any other alignment either, you just buy tires more often and put up with the worse handling characteristics..... as a matter of fact you don't even "need to" buy a lift kit just cut up some 2x4's and stick them in between the spring and mount.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 PM
brentadams646
Senior User
I went with a 4.5" Carli and have no regrets and absolutely love the ride.

I'm also running a PMF dual steering stabilizer with Fox Shocks. The PMF parts are nice and much more solid than other parts/components from their direct competitors.. but the Carli components are top quality every way you look. Their fit and finish is outstanding, something you'd normally expect to see on an OEM part.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:11 PM
brentadams646
Senior User
https://www.carlisuspension.com/ford...dius-arms.html

Your right, I did not read all of the specs, both are 1.25 degree caster correction, the difference in the options listed on the page linked above is the limiting straps. As for as "you don't have too", yeah you don't have to run the correct toe-in or any other alignment either, you just buy tires more often and put up with the worse handling characteristics..... as a matter of fact you don't even "need to" buy a lift kit just cut up some 2x4's and stick them in between the spring and mount.
Their base 2.5" or 4.5" kits come with a 1 caster shim for any additional adjustments beyond whats available with the factory shims. I spent almost 6 months reading about their (and plenty of others) kits before they finally released their 4.5" systems and I decided to go with them. In all that time, I don't think I ever came across someone who said that they had to run the radius arms to get the vehicle within their suggested alignment specs or to correct excessive tire wear.

I'm not trying to argue you by any means, I'm just saying I think its safe to say that Carli puts a lot more into their stuff than the vast majority of the other suspension manufacturers we're used to seeing. Running a 2.5" Carli kit without their radius arms is NOT comparable to running a 2.5" ReadyLift kit without their track bar relocation bracket, lol.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 PM
toymaster
Elder User
Originally Posted by brentadams646 View Post
Running a 2.5" Carli kit without their radius arms is NOT comparable to running a 2.5" ReadyLift kit without their track bar relocation bracket, lol.
The question is between adjustable radius arms and non-adjustable. The question is not between a spacer kit and a suspension kit. If your spending $1,300 on arms why not get a fully adjustable set-up instead of having to use shims, cam bolts, or offset ball joint bushing? As to not having to have something or not, well, a guy can get along without a lot in life, but it is something entirely different to pay good money, and a lot of it, and do without.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM
brentadams646
Senior User
The question is between adjustable radius arms and non-adjustable. The question is not between a spacer kit and a suspension kit. If your spending $1,300 on arms why not get a fully adjustable set-up instead of having to use shims, cam bolts, or offset ball joint bushing? As to not having to have something or not, well, a guy can get along without a lot in life, but it is something entirely different to pay good money, and a lot of it, and do without.
I was just trying clarify the discrepancies in the information provided, and never offered my opinion as to what is the BEST kit for the money. I only used the Carli/ReadyLift reference as a generalized comparison to something that will work as intended even if you don't purchase every available option they offer, compared to a kit that offers a key component as an "option" or upgrade, but is ultimately needed to get the truck back into some form of alignment.

At the end of the day it all comes down to user preference. Just my .02

Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.
IMO, PMF is the best bang for the buck if you need adjustables, Lewis Builts are amazing if you want all out best performance + adjustability. I was just over there last week with a buddy helping him load a custom built RZR...wow. That craftsmanship makes me wet. If you want a set it and forget it type affair just go with the BDS arms for $550. They give you everything the Carli's give you for $900 less....except looks....the Carli's look amazing. All of these will give you more clearance for 37's, PMF and Lewis will allow you to adjust the handling characteristics of your truck and position of the front axle in the wheel well. The Carli and BDS arms will give you a little over 1 more degree of caster.

Lewis Built Arms: Adjustable + Stout $1349

PMF - Adjustable $899

Carli: Expensive, not adjustable. Boxed and Purdy. $1360

BDS Arms: Not adjustable, inexpensive...relatively. $550

Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 PM
TexasPowerStroke
Freshman User
TexasPowerStroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
OP - take a look at One Up Offroad for 3 link arms. Just another option. That is the route I plan to take. There has been previous talk on other forums as to which company is better between PMF and OUO. From what I've seen, great quality from both companies.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TexasPowerStroke View Post
OP - take a look at One Up Offroad for 3 link arms. Just another option. That is the route I plan to take. There has been previous talk on other forums as to which company is better between PMF and OUO. From what I've seen, great quality from both companies.
I looked at OUO's ALAs before and I think they were about $1600 and only used a rubber bushing for the joint? They also don't look nearly as strong as the Lewis Built. Any idea why they cost so much?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 PM
TexasPowerStroke
Freshman User
TexasPowerStroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
I looked at OUO's ALAs before and I think they were about $1600 and only used a rubber bushing for the joint? They also don't look nearly as strong as the Lewis Built. Any idea why they cost so much?
You are correct they do offer rubber bushings but OUO has a custom built chromoly joint option as well. EMF builds them for OUO. EMF is a very reputable company for rod ends/joints. Both options are the same price on their web store.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Tex68w
Senior User
Tex68w is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those Lewis Built are awesome. I have the BDS fixed arms because they came with my BDS 4" Fox 2.5 Coil Over kit. I ran with this kit prior to the Carli 4.5" kit hitting the streets, otherwise I would have gone that route. No complaints with the BDS though, it's been a great ride and held up well over the last 8 months. I am intrigued by those Lewis Built arms though, hmm......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I cant decide Carli or PMF?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.