Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Who does there own work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:34 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Paint and body, I leave to the professionals for the most part. I've done trim pieces but that's all I will trust myself with. I guess I am too scared after seeing so many DIY paint jobs turn out so hideous.

Everything else, I try to do myself now. I'm pretty sure I have been burned with a shop charging me for work they truly did not do and I have had the repercussions of 'half-donkey butt' work that caused me more work and money later down the road.

I will say, however, I recently have found an honest, very reasonably priced mechanic local to me who I will not hesitate to take my truck to if I ever encounter things I don't feel capable of doing myself. His shop on his property is pristine clean and he saved me a ton of money and frustration a couple months back from a misdiagnosed gasket leak at the extension housing of my t case.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been restoring classic cars for years and do everything from wiring, interior, suspension, engine, transmission, as well as body and paint. That being said, I find it easier to send out transmissions for rebuilding than to do them myself.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:24 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I have done a few trucks as well but don't want to highjack the thread.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjokjv
that looks really good.Here is my on going project

Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Sweet. Here's a couple I did:

Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Sweet. Here's a couple I did:

Nice, I have a lot of others but will let this get back on track .

Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I hope to actually work on my own truck one of these days. LOL

Old 06-27-2018, 02:15 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I generally avoid bodywork and gearboxes. Used to mount/balance tires but sold the machines. I do just about every thing else on all land and water vehicles.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:09 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I do everything myself. I go into convulsions thinking about some other idiot's hands molesting my truck. If it is something I haven't tackled (i.e. paint and body), I figure the chit out one way or another.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't brought any of my vehciles to shop for work, ever. When I was a teenager, me and my dad attempted to change the clutch on the 4Runner I had, but I didn't own it outright as he paid for it.

Everything else I have ever done has all been me. I don't trust any of even if they seem to know more than me(and there's still a lot I don't know). But differential work, transmission work, or engine machining for sure would go to a shop if I ever needed it because I don't have the tools to do any of it. I can remove and replace that stuff but I can't rebuild it.

I've painted the engine bay on my 87 Iroc I used to have and before that I attempted to paint my 88 but immediatly after starting the first coat, I realized I sucked and had my buddy do it. I painted the engine bay of the Iroc and some other smaller things, as well as painted aircraft parts since then and feel I've done decent, so I'm not too worried about doing good enough for me. When I repaint my F350, I'm doing the work, and I'm doing a color change.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:43 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
I haven't brought any of my vehciles to shop for work, ever. When I was a teenager, me and my dad attempted to change the clutch on the 4Runner I had, but I didn't own it outright as he paid for it.

Everything else I have ever done has all been me. I don't trust any of even if they seem to know more than me(and there's still a lot I don't know). But differential work, transmission work, or engine machining for sure would go to a shop if I ever needed it because I don't have the tools to do any of it. I can remove and replace that stuff but I can't rebuild it.

I've painted the engine bay on my 87 Iroc I used to have and before that I attempted to paint my 88 but immediatly after starting the first coat, I realized I sucked and had my buddy do it. I painted the engine bay of the Iroc and some other smaller things, as well as painted aircraft parts since then and feel I've done decent, so I'm not too worried about doing good enough for me. When I repaint my F350, I'm doing the work, and I'm doing a color change.
Color change is a lot of work if you do a complete job. I have done it a few times. I would like a color change on my truck,but I am not willing to do all the work. Inside doors and door jams, under the hood inside fenders ,to name a few places that have to be painted for a color change. So I am staying with the stock color.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 AM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not ! I will throw a couple pics of stuff ive done . but I will keep the pics in the ford truck family since were showing pics in fte

graphics and stripes under the clear

59 frame off

the bed is as nice as the hood

blue pearl over the silver looks sweet

my new truck ! just a little customized bumpers ,leveled,wheels tires im almost done

nice half cab

Old 06-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Handy1
Senior User
I dropped my truck off at a friends body shop Wednesday evening. This seem strange to me,as I always do my own work. As I said in a previous post or another post, I changed my truck from a dually to singal rear wheels. I put a take off bed on my truck,which is white,my truck is white with gold on the bottom,and I wanted the bed to match the truck. I also noticed the cab corners were getting thin and it would not be to long before they would have a whole rusted through. So I thought it was best to replace them before paint. Well while I was cutting them off I noticed the rear rocker was also getting thin,so I ordered them and replaced them as well. I welded them in and did a little tin knocking, Very little filler was needed, then I put some primer on. This way the should only have to sand and paint. The paint on my truck is very good so this will not be ca complete repaint. It will be spot painted and blended.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:03 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 429 f-100
why not ! I will throw a couple pics of stuff ive done . but I will keep the pics in the ford truck family since were showing pics in fte

graphics and stripes under the clear

59 frame off

the bed is as nice as the hood

blue pearl over the silver looks sweet

my new truck ! just a little customized bumpers ,leveled,wheels tires im almost done

nice half cab
Nice work.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Here is a pic of the last complete job I did. It's not a truck or a Ford.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=SG38WvmuAaLBjwSS55mIDg&q=tumbl r+wife+insertions&oq=tumblr+wife+insertions&gs_l=m obile-gws-wiz-hp.12...5317204.5331890..5333604...2....796.7389.0 j3j8j6j5j0j1......0....1.......0..0j5j41j0i131j0i1 0.rDgsz25Gf0Q%3D

the trike is dirty in this pick. We had been on the road for several days. Road from Ohio to the coast of Oregon and down the west coast highway. I did the conversion in fall of 2015

Quick Reply: Who does there own work?