How long before Limp Mode kicks in when Reductant heater code comes up?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

How long before Limp Mode kicks in when Reductant heater code comes up??

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Damo350
New User
Damo350 is starting off with a positive reputation.

So, I register to the site this morning and my first issue has popped up. I had the engine light come on and hit up Oreilys to get it figured out. My reductant hearer is out. First off I want to know how Long I can drive before limp mode hits. I have a 50/50 warranty on this part. Seems to be a reasonable fix from my YouTube research. Anyone else done this fix OR paid to have it done? 59k Miles, wouldnít think this would go out!

Thanks all

Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
I don't think the heater will put the truck in limp mode when the outside temperature is high enough that the DEF doesn't freeze.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:40 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I drove for at least two months with the issue, P20BA. It does de-rate performance some but not enough to notice daily driving unless towing or wide open throttle above 2nd gear. If I needed to tow, I would clear the code for that start and it wouldn't trigger again until the next start. $840.82 at the dealer. The labor was as much as the part so if you know how to repair, you'll save at least half.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Damo350
New User
Damo350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
please forgive my ignorance. But, how do I clear the code? I’m supposed to pull the camper to Iowa with the family this Thursday. I’m a little worried about what COULD happen. My wife would be none too pleased if we had to go 280 miles at 55. Take a lot beer to stave off her killing me.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:20 AM
graysonp
Freshman User
graysonp is starting off with a positive reputation.
The reductant heater code won't affect performance and it won't put the truck into limp mode. I drove with it all summer last year before I finally deleted the truck. You can clear the code if you want to turn the CEL off, but it really doesn't affect anything until it gets cold and your DEF freezes. Any code scanner or programmer will clear you DTC codes.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Ed in Maine
Senior User
Ed in Maine is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just noticed this thread, exactly what I was asking on my post. Thanks.

FYI, my cheapo ~$79 harbor fright scanner read and cleared the code fine.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Ed, there is an FSA on extending the warranty on the DEF heater. Contact your dealer to see if you are covered for free repair.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Bill Wolf
Junior User
Bill Wolf has a good reputation on FTE.Bill Wolf has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Ed, there is an FSA on extending the warranty on the DEF heater. Contact your dealer to see if you are covered for free repair.
Yes its CSP 18M01 released in April. Warranty coverage is 11 years or 120K miles whichever comes first and if your over 120K you get to the end of 2018 to have the heater replaced. zget in line, the diesel techs at the dealers are busy!!

Old 08-02-2018, 02:16 PM
doczenith1
Senior User
doczenith1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got my 18M01 letter from Ford in the mail two days ago. And about a month ago I got the code for the first time. Great timing

P.S. The $5 Torque Pro Android app combined with a $15 bluetooth OBDII adapter can also clear codes.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM
arkie3
Junior User
arkie3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Bill Wolf View Post
Yes its CSP 18M01 released in April. Warranty coverage is 11 years or 120K miles whichever comes first and if your over 120K you get to the end of 2018 to have the heater replaced. zget in line, the diesel techs at the dealers are busy!!
Released in April, and I just got mine last week, around August first. Mine is dated July 2018, but is code 18M01. And apparently you read it the same way I did - that even if odometer mileage is higher than 120,000, Ford will fix the problem through the end of this year. Is this a valid reading of what the letter says?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Doonz
Senior User
Doonz has a good reputation on FTE.Doonz has a good reputation on FTE.
Hmm I never got that letter but I threw the code 2 weeks ago and when I went camping lets just say the truck sucked at towing....

Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Doonz View Post
Hmm I never got that letter but I threw the code 2 weeks ago and when I went camping lets just say the truck sucked at towing....
Check the Ford owner site. It will be listed with your VIN in the Service > Recall menu, even though it's not a recall. It'll load the FSA page though. For example, mine reports the 15M02 and 18M01.
In the rare event your dealer gives grief about it, you'll have proof the FSA is assigned to your VIN if it is.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Bill Wolf
Junior User
Bill Wolf has a good reputation on FTE.Bill Wolf has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by arkie3 View Post
Released in April, and I just got mine last week, around August first. Mine is dated July 2018, but is code 18M01. And apparently you read it the same way I did - that even if odometer mileage is higher than 120,000, Ford will fix the problem through the end of this year. Is this a valid reading of what the letter says?
My truck threw the P205C code and I found the letter online that had an April release date attached to it. I made the appointment at the dealer for the assembly replacement and the service admin confirmed my truck was covered. Had the work done and then got the letter in the mail a week later. Yes that is a valid reading of the letter provided that your VIN is captured as eligible.