06 6.0 no crank/cam sensor sync - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

06 6.0 no crank/cam sensor sync

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 06-23-2018, 06:15 PM
johnl2
Senior User
johnl2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello everyone, I have a 2006 ford f-350 and had a coolant leak. Yep, this all started with a coolant leak, of all things. So I found the leak and it was from the nipple on the egr cooler, that o-ring needed to be replaced, even though I just did the egr cooler and oil cooler not 4 years ago. So I fixed the leak. Put it all back together and I had an exhaust leak on the egr to y pipe connection. Take everything apart again! Fix the leak, didn't have it lined up right. Ok, that's done. Now I start it and hear another exhaust leak, coming from the turbo exhaust! So I unbolt the clamp, the smaller one on the right. The flange wasn't lining up. I've done this countless times and never had this many problems. So I take my crow bar and push the flange onto the turbo and after about an hour of finicking around with it, I got it. Ok, so I go to start it and make sure all exhaust leaks are fixed. Crank no start. Ok, so I break out the AE and see that I have no snyc with cam/crank sensors and obviously ficm. Stays at 0. I have tried everything, been at this for 4 days and I am missing work and it's become too much now. So it's time to bring it to the big boys here and see what's what. Just to affirm, oil pressure high and low are there, all the goodies are good, tried removing icp connector, still no start. It's getting fuel, fuel pump is pumping, all pressures are up, 60psi and 1500 at the rail while cranking. Every single thing checks out. FICM has 86V or whatever it was, I am thinking I hit the harness with the turbo or something, but I cannot find anything, no chafing, no broken wires. And that damned cmp is damn near impossible to get at! I could if I had to but I'm wondering why the hell I'd be doing that when all the action was taking place at the top of the engine! Any ideas, anyone? Please help!

Thanks

P.S. It did throw a 2614 but I think that's from all the cranking.

Oh, and when it first wouldn't start, of course I hit the inertia switch for the fuel. And it was tripped! No idea why that is. . .

Also, I checked the cmp sensor wires, orange and red at the harness where it connects to the computer. It had 1.3Hz while cranking.

One more thing, I did not disconnect the batteries while doing this work. I didn't see any sparks tho =)

Rpm's go up when I crank and it's like 150rpm during cranking.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:20 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Could you please verify the actual FICM volts?

You should get more than 150 rpms when cranking. That is the bare minimum.

Also, please post the ICP volts when cranking.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM
KDAVID1
Postmaster
KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Might be silly as well but easy things first...is everything connected back up...don't ask me why I asked

Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 PM
johnl2
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Could you please verify the actual FICM volts?

Also, please post the ICP volts when cranking.
Thank you for your response. The RPM is 160, I've had it on charge all day, cranking a lot. New batteries and alt.
ICP is 1470 while cranking
FICM is 48 to 48.5V.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM
johnl2
Senior User
Originally Posted by KDAVID1 View Post
Might be silly as well but easy things first...is everything connected back up...don't ask me why I asked
Yes, all connected minus the air filter to turbo. I needed that to be off in order to inspect the wires and pull test while cranking. The main issue I think is that I am not syncing with crank/cam sensors. Both read zero on AE. But yea, I know what you mean, I've done more stupid things than anybody on here, lol

Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM
johnl2
Senior User
Also, I am reading 4.98 for reference V. Just trying to think of everything I can to help you help me!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM
johnl2
Senior User

Just a note, I know that it needs a certain RPM to start, but before I changed my batteries and alt, this thing cranked so slow, I'm amazed it ever started knowing what I know now. Now it cranks so much faster, so I don't think RPM during starting is an issue.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 PM
johnl2
Senior User
Also, KDAVID, just so you guys all know, the engine was running before and all I did was loosen the clamp for the turbo exhaust and tighten it back up, nothing else came apart. Next thing I know, it's not starting!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:33 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by johnl2 View Post
Thank you for your response. The RPM is 160, I've had it on charge all day, cranking a lot. New batteries and alt.
ICP is 1470 while cranking
FICM is 48 to 48.5V.
Ok, cranking rpms are good when batteries are charged. That is critical to know up front. When you say it is "like 150", we can't tell for sure over the internet. Just trying to be thorough.

FICM voltages look good at 48+, the 86V was confusing. Still, you can have a FICM issue even with good voltages.

I was asking about ICP volts, not psig. Can you get that information?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:39 PM
johnl2
Senior User
ICP V up to 2.25 and settles at 1.75

RPM is definitely good, it goes up to 200 and down to 160 but sound doesn't change. Just a very strong crank, sounds fantastic, really fast.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 PM
johnl2
Senior User

FICM voltages look good at 48+, the 86V was confusing. Still, you can have a FICM issue even with good voltages.
Oh, also, this is a rebuilt ficm from Ed. Only about a year old. And yes, sorry, 48V, Idk where I got 86 from lol

I also appreciate your being thorough! Thank you, please just ask, I'll do anything you need

Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
btw (fyi only) - there is a recent thread over on PSN about an intermittent no-start where the guy insisted his 3 moth old batteries were OK (even though his system voltage would drop continuously while driving on the occasions when it would start). After some "discussion", he load tested them and one had a bad cell. Changed it out w/ a new one and the no-start and voltage issues were resolved. It happens, and so I like to check that box early - call it personal preference.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:48 PM
johnl2
Senior User
I definitely understand about the batteries. I will get them load tested tomorrow. Just saying tho, I had this truck cranking so slowly with my bad batteries and it still ran! But just for the sake of knowing, I will take them down to napa tomorrow.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM
johnl2
Senior User
And don't worry about insulting me or upsetting me, as far as I'm concerned, I know nothing and I'm here to learn!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 PM
johnl2
Senior User
Also, I read that ICP should be zero KOEO. Mine stays at a psi and slowly goes down, like 19psi and down it goes slowly. Idk if this means anything. This is after cranking. I think it's normal. I just want to give you everything I've got.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 6.0 no crank/cam sensor sync

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.