99 7.3 6 speed stalls on downshift coming to stop - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

99 7.3 6 speed stalls on downshift coming to stop

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 7.3 6 speed stalls on downshift coming to stop

Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Baatzy
Elder User
Baatzy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm still leaning towards something wrong with the IPR mainly. The IPR is operated by a magnetic coil, which would explain the problem cropping up when it gets hot. Magnets get weaker when they get hot.

If it's not the IPR itself, maybe it's the wiring for the IPR, as you said you replaced the IPR. Take a look at the harness, see how it looks?

Otherwise maybe the ICP or ICP wiring is going bad and giving a higher reading than it actually is. They are known to have oil eventually leak by.

Of course I'm just shooting in the dark as we don't have any hard numbers to see what the truck is trying to do when it does this.

I personally don't see how the HPOP could be the problem if you are only having the issue when the engine is slowing down.

Baatzy

Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Here is a link to the torque pro faq, Iím on my fruit powered fone so Iím not sure if signs post or not (supposedly they do not) but read through the first post as there will be a lot of info for you about how to get TP running so we can get some numbers and better diagnose your issue

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-pro-faq.html

Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM
really ole man
Freshman User
really ole man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi there, Sounds like some of the same things I have happening with my ole Ford. Except, mine seem to be running sweet at cruise, but at a idle or when you slow down to stop. Mine feels as if the throttle linkage was chopped off, Then the engine lopes and act like it has a performance cam, after a few the idle seem to smooth, except then it sounds like it's got a fouled injector or something and the engine is missing. Some one said my throttle pot.....control is bad. Just trying to find some more ideas.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 PM
udsuth78
Senior User
udsuth78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about meier but I've had mine hooked up while it acts up. and the icp just starts dropping and the truck dies. during cranking to restart the icp struggles to climb high enough but the duty cycle is hitting 65%.

here's a trip with the AE recording you can see when it dies, and when I start it back up. if anyone can make since of it I'd love the incite.,

Attached Files
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
papadave
New User
papadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
The ICP only reads pressure at the rail and sends info to computer to adj fuel tabling . if hpop is struggling to get pressure to icp then the ipr or hpop is failing

Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM
udsuth78
Senior User
udsuth78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well the ipr is new ford unit so just leaves the hpop

Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 PM
really ole man
Freshman User
really ole man is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a new HPOP, IPR,ICP,glow plugs, rebuilt CMP, IDM. . I've read that with the mileage I have on this truck, (325K) there is a good chance that the TPS is worn and not reading right. There were some unit that were produced with 2 little sensor on the throttle arm assembly. I am going to remove it and see how much wear is there.
Since the throttle has a real jerky action when in low gear idling along and when a slight amount of pressure is applied. Act like there is a 1/2 turn slop on the driveline, which there isn't. This is more of a jerking movement that will stop is pressure is applied and you have R's about a grand. I also notice what seem like a slight miss but only at a idle. When taking off and throttle is applied thru the gear I am blowing smoke, lot's never had this problem before always ran clean. Over the past weekend I put about 1800 miles on in 4 days, hauled really good on hiway, crappy in town traffic. Averaged about 18 MPG on trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.