6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 6.7 delete questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bone
My position is whats the point? The egr doesn't fail on these newer trucks. The Dpf works just fine on these trucks. However there have been problems with some tunes not working on trucks and destroying motors but it's your choice. There is no way that a tune would increase fuel millage period. More power means more fuel. You cant have more power without adding more fuel into the motor. Only way to have better fuel economy is less fuel so do you really want to lean out your truck with less fuel. Never herd of a guy that doesn't drive around with the max tune in his truck. Its like the guy with the Mustang with 2 keys. The one for normal driving and the red key for going fast. Which key would you use. i would lock up the normal key and carry the red key in my pocket.
These trucks have all the H/P and torque you would ever need on the street. I have about 60,000 miles on my truck and not a single problem with anything. I have towed a 5th wheel more than 30,000 miles and still not a single issue with my truck. I just dont see why guys feel the need to delete these trucks. After all its just a truck. if you want something fast than Ford has a couple of choices to fill the need for speed.
The EGR while not as bad as the 6.0 trucks can still get plugged up and fail, not to mention it gums up you intake manifold and intake valves with soot. The DPF also will need replace eventually along with all of the emissions related sensors that fail. The point of deleting is to have a more reliable, and efficient truck that won't put you into limp mode when you are out in the middle of nowhere and a sensor fails, just look through the Forums 80-90% of the problems with the new diesel trucks Powerstroke, Cummins, and Duramax, are due to the emissions equipment. Also a tune can and does increase fuel mileage, even on older diesels that don't have any emissions its not uncommon to pick up 1-2 mpg with a tune, because good tuning will increase the injection timing which makes the fuel burn more efficiently. On a DPF equipped truck you will see even more of a gain because you aren't wasting fuel by dumping it into the exhaust to clean out the DPF not to mention you engine will run cooler and last longer.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly, better mpg, no emission equipment issues, don't have to worry about idle time. Oil stays cleaner for way longer after is changed. That's why I always laugh when people say deletes cause more harm than good. Use a big name tuner and you'll have no issues and it will be more reliable than stock. Problems arise when either the owner or shop have no idea what they're doing and rip equipment off without verifying they have delete tunes first. Haven't heard of hardly anyone blowing up a 6.7 by deleting it, heard of a couple of job 1, 2011's drop a valve but that has nothing to do with deleting.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Superdave71

Think about what your saying....a regen dumps fuel to clean the dpf. Eliminating that process saves fuel. Additionally by removing the dpf you remove exhaust restriction further increasing economy. I picked up 2 mpg at least. I run a stock or tow tune tune all the time.

The issues ive encountered since deleting involve sealing up the unused connectors, specifically the 3 wire ones on the NOx. If water gets in them it causes some minor issues.

To the OP, the grass is greener on the other side.
Money well spent on these. Much cleaner look than electrical tape/sandwich bags/etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:37 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cappa
Exactly, better mpg, no emission equipment issues, don't have to worry about idle time. Oil stays cleaner for way longer after is changed. That's why I always laugh when people say deletes cause more harm than good. Use a big name tuner and you'll have no issues and it will be more reliable than stock. Problems arise when either the owner or shop have no idea what they're doing and rip equipment off without verifying they have delete tunes first. Haven't heard of hardly anyone blowing up a 6.7 by deleting it, heard of a couple of job 1, 2011's drop a valve but that has nothing to do with deleting.
Aside from the 1-2 MPG increase in fuel mileage, more power, better trans shifting with more lockup options, slightly stronger exhaust brake, and more reliability potential than a stock truck, I don't know why we would want to delete these things...

The oil in this pic has right at 7,500 miles on it. Biggest reason I delete em. Pic in front of "mod" sticker for full effect

Old 07-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Those plugs are definitely the way to go.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:03 PM
cappa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. I couldn't find it but will be ordering a set now.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:32 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33

Aside from the 1-2 MPG increase in fuel mileage, more power, better trans shifting with more lockup options, slightly stronger exhaust brake, and more reliability potential than a stock truck, I don't know why we would want to delete these things...

The oil in this pic has right at 7,500 miles on it. Biggest reason I delete em. Pic in front of "mod" sticker for full effect

Wow that is very clean looking oil for 7500 miles. My oil is dirtier than that on the first start up after a fresh oil change.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Superdave71
Think about what your saying....a regen dumps fuel to clean the dpf. Eliminating that process saves fuel. Additionally by removing the dpf you remove exhaust restriction further increasing economy.
In addition to that, the entire concept of EGR is to reduce the efficiency of the burn inside the cylinder, to produce lower combustion temps, thereby reducing NOx production. Eliminate EGR, and you improve efficiency in the cylinder, which means more power for the amount of fuel used. If you are not using the extra power, better fuel economy is the byproduct.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:02 PM
RobRoy32
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great info....following this one.