New here, new to Ford, new to 6.9 IDI - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Reload this Page >

New here, new to Ford, new to 6.9 IDI

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Jmerchant6_9
New User
Jmerchant6_9 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi everybody, I'm new here since I just got my first Ford I've ever owned, it's a 1985 crew cab dually, 2wd, automatic and it's got the 6.9 IDI. I'm interested in knowing what exactly I got because I took it in on trade and I'm not familiar with them. I do know it has 167k miles on it, it has a banks sidewinder turbo system installed, and it has an under/overdrive unit under the dash but not familiar with it. I don't know the tranny because the code was wore off the tag but I know it has 4.10 gears. Also I'm afraid it's going to need head gaskets because it has soot on the radiator cap but that's the only sign I've got of it so far. Guy said it had been sitting for a while. But I'm pretty excited to get into it and clean it up and restore it. But any info anybody can give me on what I got or anything at all really I'd appreciate! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
genscripter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
welcome to the forum. This forum has the nicest members.

Post some pictures of your overdrive unit. We can help identify it and teach you how to use it.

Also post pictures of the engine bay. We can identify that turbo kit for you too.

As for the HG issue, you can buy a kit to test the exhaust gasses in the coolant, if there are some. That soot could just be rust.

Does it run?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Jmerchant6_9
New User
I hope they are I've never had good experiences with forums but I always wind up getting on for info. So hopefully I'll stay lol. But I'll take pics of it when I get home tonight. What is the kit for the radiator to check? Yeah other than that it seems to run just fine, no white smoke or anything I can tell yet.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Jmerchant6_9
New User

Well I found a picture of exactly what I had so here it is.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:20 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
that's the cleanest looking Gearvendor button I've ever seen. Almost looks brand new. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Jmerchant6_9
New User
Well that's not mine but it does look exactly like it and mine is pretty much that clean, so how does it work?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:49 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
Gearvendor is an auxiliary overdrive. It attaches to your stock tranny (assuming you have a C6 judging by your year) and allows you to drop your RPM's at cruising speed. Some guys will "gear split" but I never do that. I've only seen it done on racing or excessive hauling. Gear splitting is when you use the aux overdrive to engage between the shift points of your transmission.

Basically, the gearvender has two modes: manual and auto. With the GVOD turned on "auto," the overdrive will engage at around 45mph, thus making your 3-speed C6 tranny effectively a 4-speed. That's important for you, because with a C6 and 4.10's, you will be getting some HIGH rpms at highway speed. I suspect that with your aux overdrive, you should be able to keep your engine rpms down to something like 2200 at highway speeds. Yay! It'll put less wear on your engine, run cooler, and also give you some mpg improvement.

I've written a bunch about my Gearvendor overdrive on my website, if you want more detailed information.

There is one catch. If the PO didn't maintain it well, you likely have some problems with your OD. I got mine used, and it required a reseal kit and other parts. Also, my controller broke in the few months, so I had to wire up a new circuit (will be posted in an article in a few days on the aforementioned website) to make it work.

If you want to work the unit in "manual" mode, there is a foot pedal that engages the solenoid on the GVOD. It looks like the high-beam footpedal. I think the footpedal switch was idiotic (for the high-beams and for the GVOD), so when I conducted my own wiring circuit to power the GVOD, I was really relieved. But that's just me. Maybe you'll like the foot pedal Overdrive shifting. Or you can just leave it on Auto. Up to you.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Jmerchant6_9
New User
Thanks that helps, I seen the pedal your talking about then, I wondered what it was for. Hopefully it'll work just fine, I'm gonna have to go try it after work when I can finally drive it. What kit would you get for testing the radiator like you were talking about?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:14 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
I tried to find a link to the process, but all I could find was this: Part 3 -Troubleshooting a Blown Head Gasket (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).

It's not for the IDI, but if you keep looking around the forums, someone will tell you the process. I will warn you, I've read that the test don't really give a lot of "true" results, with a decent amount of false positives and false negatives, so this test is more just to give you a ballpark estimation on the condition of your exhaust gasses in your coolant. Like I said, it could just be rust or something else. Maybe some oil leaking from the oil cooler? IDK.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Elder User
Leroy Unlisted is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi.. Welcome

Nice truck.. Crew Cab bullnose trucks are rare, and you lucked out getting the diesel with overdrive.

If you stick with it and remedy the causes that left it to sit, you'll have something special.

I also have an 85' - she had sat 10 years when I put my hands on her.

8 years and many miles later she still runs great, sounds awesome, gets good fuel mileage, and is just rock solid reliable.

If the IDI ever gets a bad rap, I blame stupid people.. there are at least 10 dumb persons for every single Ford IDI, so there you go. Figure the odds.

Just remember - glow plugs OR ether - don't mix the two - no candyflip. This is the root cause of why many motors have bit the dust.

They like strong batteries and a hot starter.

This is a misunderstood engine and most people other than former school bus mechanics know what to do with them.

Just ask on the forum, wrenching, learning yourself, and asking here are pretty much the only resources that will help you on the journey. Luckily it has a happy ending.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definitely a cool truck. Welcome to the site.

Here's a the chemical tester genscripter posted a link to.

https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529942019&sr=8-4-fkmr3&keywords=head+gasket+chemical+tester https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529942019&sr=8-4-fkmr3&keywords=head+gasket+chemical+tester

Interestingly, I bought one when I owned a Ford f150 ccsb with a blown 5.4l. It worked well for me. I also used it on my 6.9l IDI before doing a compression test. It worked well with the diesel too. I think you may be able to rent it at an auto parts store. It's worth looking into at least.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
hturner12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hturner12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Few other nice touches the Leer camper shell, lighted sunvisor, aluminum running boards an the chrome body molding. Your previous owner was probably older. The 167 k unless you have documention no way to tel if it a 1 or 2 or 3 infront of the miles showing it only a 5 digit odometer. With all the mods my guess is it was used to tow a travel trailer

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.