Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Ford Edge won't shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford Edge won't shut off.

Anyone run into this problem in an Edge? My son picked up a 2007 Edge, Front wheel drive, 3.5, with a locked up engine. Ok did an engine swap with a low mileage engine. Got it running tonight. He hits the key and it fires right up and runs good. I tell him to shut it off so we can check the fluids. The key turns back and he takes the key out, the engine still runs with all the lights and accessories on.

I know this is a completely different vehicle, but I just replaced the actuator in my 88 F250 and my 97 F250. Is this another bad one? I did a quick online search and do not see anyone else posting about the same problem.

Anyone run into this with an Edge??

Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Ok, just for more info. Turn the key back and the accessories shut off. Just the car runs. I unplugged the ignition switch and it still ran. Something is feeding the computer. I will check the ecm relay next. Been a long day at work.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Ok after a lot of frustration, I found that when I pulled the #11 fuse in the Smart junction block. The passenger compartment fuse block. All the dash lights would go out and the car shuts off and seems to run normally. On the fuse chart the #11 fuse is labeled AWD. This Edge is a Front wheel drive. Does anyone know what this fuse does? It may just be a fault in the SJB. Everything so far seems to be working. We haven't hit the road yet. I found a power steering pump leak and half way through changing it.

Oh BTW the Edge does not use any kind of actuator rod for the ignition switch. The ignition switch is on the back side of the lock cylinder on the left side of the steering column. Very easy to get at and replace.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:27 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not a expert here, just curious as to what year engine you replaced with?
If there was a significant year difference ,(for example, you got a 10-13' yr engine ), was there a harness, and or, a sensor change in the different years (07' to whatever yr engine you got)??
This difference ( if that is the case) could be how the ECM and sensors communicate, there by, change how the engine shuts off.
So I guess my question is, did you swap over all the old sensors to the "new to you engine"? Or did you blend old sensors and newer sensors and old and newer harness??

Was this wreck and purchased off a insurance auction?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Was this wreck and purchased off a insurance auction?
I will break this up a little.... For the info not posted in this thread.

My son and his wife (both 20 ish) were looking for a car for his wife. He found the edge at a good deal (at least he thought) . The guy selling it said it would not start and "all" it needs is a water pump. I told him pull the oil dip stick and see if the oil looks like chocolate milk and is over filled. Next thing I know he tows it in my drive. (cuz I can fix anything... No hurry Dad) He said the oil was a little over filled, but the guy said he never drove it that way. I take a look at the stick and it is brown foam all the way to the handle of the dip stick. So at this point all I knew about the car is it only needs a water pump.... Eh yea....

For more worthless information.... Except for humor.... I told him not to try to start it or he could bend the rods. Whether the guy before him did anyway. I was told the battery was dead so they tried to start it. I pulled the drain plug and the oil came out very very very slow. About the consistency of pudding. After about 3 days of draining it, We got out almost 6 gallons of oil. Or what ever you call it. I told him it is time to look for another engine.

So no clue if the dead battery was an indication of the no shut off situation or??? The battery was stone dead. The car was around here so no water/flood damage. It was picked up at the apartment complex the guy lived at.

BTW after all that, it is still running good.... Except for putting the whole engine back in and the power steering rack was shot, I knew something was up when there were funnels under the hood, PS fluid all over the engine compartment, and the PS system was empty. We could not find the leak until the rack was under pressure and turned all the way to the left. Argh. All I keep thinking is... All it needs is a water pump.....

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
I'm not a expert here, just curious as to what year engine you replaced with?
If there was a significant year difference ,(for example, you got a 10-13' yr engine ), was there a harness, and or, a sensor change in the different years (07' to whatever yr engine you got)??
This difference ( if that is the case) could be how the ECM and sensors communicate, there by, change how the engine shuts off.
So I guess my question is, did you swap over all the old sensors to the "new to you engine"? Or did you blend old sensors and newer sensors and old and newer harness??
Good question.... The car is an 2007 and IIRC the donor engine was from a wreck, A good deal I thought. 2008 with 40k miles ($850).

The engine was almost identical. Except for a few things. The block had a little different casting boss where the CV joint tube bolted on. The wiring harness was close, but the main connectors to the car were different, so I swapped the whole harness. The biggest problem, there is a sensor in the valley of the engine. (under the intake) It was different, I broke it loose and found someone with tiny hands who could spin them loose and swap them. The idle air control/throttle body was completely different. So just swapped the whole upper intake. (bummer, the throttle body from the donor looked almost new) The O2 sensor plugs were also different, so we put all new O2 sensors in it. Pretty sure after that, when we got it running, no check engine light. So I think the sensors all matched.

So with the remaining sensors that I left on the new engine, (crank, cam, temp, oil sensors) I don't think they would have caused a problem. Especially since the connectors matched. In other words no cutting and splicing.

Thanks for tossing an idea out....

Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ski 44
I will break this up a little.... For the info not posted in this thread.

My son and his wife (both 20 ish) were looking for a car for his wife. He found the edge at a good deal (at least he thought) . The guy selling it said it would not start and "all" it needs is a water pump. I told him pull the oil dip stick and see if the oil looks like chocolate milk and is over filled. Next thing I know he tows it in my drive. (cuz I can fix anything... No hurry Dad) He said the oil was a little over filled, but the guy said he never drove it that way. I take a look at the stick and it is brown foam all the way to the handle of the dip stick. So at this point all I knew about the car is it only needs a water pump.... Eh yea....

For more worthless information.... Except for humor.... I told him not to try to start it or he could bend the rods. Whether the guy before him did anyway. I was told the battery was dead so they tried to start it. I pulled the drain plug and the oil came out very very very slow. About the consistency of pudding. After about 3 days of draining it, We got out almost 6 gallons of oil. Or what ever you call it. I told him it is time to look for another engine.

So no clue if the dead battery was an indication of the no shut off situation or??? The battery was stone dead. The car was around here so no water/flood damage. It was picked up at the apartment complex the guy lived at.

BTW after all that, it is still running good.... Except for putting the whole engine back in and the power steering rack was shot, I knew something was up when there were funnels under the hood, PS fluid all over the engine compartment, and the PS system was empty. We could not find the leak until the rack was under pressure and turned all the way to the left. Argh. All I keep thinking is... All it needs is a water pump.....
I feel your pain!
This wouldn't happen to be the N/A 3.5 v6 would it?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
I feel your pain!
This wouldn't happen to be the N/A 3.5 v6 would it?
I checked parts link I had saved. It is a 3.5 dohc v6 The one with the water pump inside the engine..... What a brilliant idea.