Can I mount a gauge to the left if the steering wheel... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Can I mount a gauge to the left if the steering wheel...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 PM
garth66
New User
garth66 is starting off with a positive reputation.

On my 2000 F-250 Powerstroke? I have a transmission temp gauge mounted to the right - there's great access from underneath here and I could see that it's completely clear. But I can't see what if anything is behind the same space on the left. Does anyone know? Is there sufficient depth to mount a 2" boost gauge there?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by garth66 View Post
On my 2000 F-250 Powerstroke? I have a transmission temp gauge mounted to the right - there's great access from underneath here and I could see that it's completely clear. But I can't see what if anything is behind the same space on the left. Does anyone know? Is there sufficient depth to mount a 2" boost gauge there?
If I understand you are talking about the sort of padded looking plastic under the instrument cluster kind of behind the steering wheel?. If so, yes you can. I have my FP gauge on the left and hpop on the right. Once you drill out the 2-1/8" hole, there is some plastic webbing there that trims easily. I used a multi tool to clean it out.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 PM
garth66
New User
Here's a pic I forgot to upload initially. The space to the left of the steering wheel to compliment the temp gauge on the right.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Here's mine, FP on the left

Old 06-21-2018, 10:45 PM
garth66
New User
Thanks BigB56! Anything I need to be aware of before I start drilling into my dash there? Wires, support structures that require the gauge to move one way or the other?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:46 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
**** no. Permission denied!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 AM
garth66
New User
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
**** no. Permission denied!
Hey Tedster! I'm not sure what you mean. No, there's nothing I need to worry about back there; I can go ahead and center the gauge so it matches the placement on the opposite side? Or, "permission denied" - I can't go drilling into the dash there?

BTW - I learned to drive on my grandfather's 1960 F-100, 292 V8, 3 on the tree. I miss that truck! When looking for the Powerstroke I stumbled onto a 67 or 68 4x4 that had promise, but missed it.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 AM
Mike321
Junior User
Mike321 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would start looking at a gauge pod that mounts on the driver side A pillar, or a tablet/phone that has gauges. I'd also look into Wheelskins.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
The dash pulls off in about 60 seconds then you can see first hand what you are dealing with. It just pulls straight out, the headlight switches are the hardest part because there isn't much spare wire back there. My radio is an aftermarket job so I can't tell you what your radio will be like, I have heard that a double din radio complicates things.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM
bigb56
Posting Guru
There wasn't anything in the way, just some plastic webbing like I said it cuts away easily. I measured carefully to get it centered. I first bought one of those 2 gauge holders that goes over the existing cluster but it looked terrible and partially hid my lower cluster so I went this route. I also have a 4 gauge pillar pod that is full.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:36 PM
garth66
New User
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
There wasn't anything in the way, just some plastic webbing like I said it cuts away easily. I measured carefully to get it centered. I first bought one of those 2 gauge holders that goes over the existing cluster but it looked terrible and partially hid my lower cluster so I went this route. I also have a 4 gauge pillar pod that is full.
THANKS! This is great information, and really helpful!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 AM
garth66
New User
So, I mounted the gauge this weekend, along with spraying the bed with bedliner. But back to the gauge... I was a bit nervous about drilling through the dash with the hole saw, but it wasn't too bad. The plastic webbing proved to be a PITA, up until I decided to use a Dremel tool to just grind/melt the stuff out of the way. That made all the difference! I installed an AutoMeter Factory Match gauge, which looks nice, but it's over 2" deep! I've since stumbled upon another post that states the ISSPRO gauges are only 1" deep. That would have made installation much easier as there wouldn't be the need to remove so much of the plastic webbing.

The complications:
Headlight switch - I busted the headlight switch trying to remove it to get at the back side of the dash. It didn't just "pop out" by prying it with a screw driver like most YouTube videos show. It had a button on the side that needed to be pushed to release the locking tabs on the top and bottom before it would come out - I only discovered that after I busted the heck out of it. Oh well, another $75 for a new headlight switch - at least the labels are fresh and crisp now!
Gauge - The AutoMeter gauge instructions say to drill a 3/8" hole in the firewall for the grommet for the pressure tube to pass through, however the tube is less than 1/8" in diameter and fits very loosely in the grommet. You could actually put 3-4 of these tubes through the smallest grommet supplied with the gauge! So, I had to seal that hole and drill a new hole for a smaller grommet - thankfully I had a supply of rubber grommets in the toolbox and had one that fit the tube perfectly. The other challenge with the gauge was that it was missing the threaded Tee that the tube connects to in the engine compartment. Disappointing! A quick call to AutoMeter and it's on it's way.

Overall, the gauge is very nice looking, and the back-lighting isn't too bright. Actually, I like it so much I ordered a matching Trans Temp gauge to replace the no-name gauge (that doesn't seem to work anyway) on the opposite side that the prior owner installed.

The SEM Pro Tex Bedliner kit and new bed bolts.

A couple pics of the hole and what's behind the dash there after I started hacking-up the webbing with a saw and small cutoff wheel. Once I put the Aluminum Oxide Grinding Bit into the Dremel tool, it got much easier and was able to clean up the mess in there very nicely - sorry I didn't take a pic of how clean it came out. It just melted the plastic and made it real easy to shape the webbing however I needed. (Note: the next 2 pictures seem to have auto-rotated onto their side. They should be viewed in the vertical orientation)

The finished installation

Last edited by garth66; 06-27-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added explanation on 2 pics.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
That looks good, nice write up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.