2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dang.... wish I had a PTO now

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
jakematic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang.... wish I had a PTO now

Ran across this looking for SEIC videos last night.

Anyone do anything like this ?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How much I wonder......

Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's nice if you don't mind running up idle hours on your truck.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Nice. I would want something a little different than the residential panel box though.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM
jakematic
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
How much I wonder......
Have’t found any pricing, but haven’t looked hard.

Originally Posted by wb6anp
It's nice if you don't mind running up idle hours on your truck.
When the power is out for two weeks due to a hurricane or ice storm.... nope I wouldn’t mind at all
Being so rural a whole house generator is tricky, but everyone has diesel storage.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That panel box is industrial. It’s steel. You can go stainless but the price is high. You can go NEMA 4x, but that’s more expensive. You can go waterproof cam locks and add more bucks to the cost. We use stainless NEMA 4x boxes with cam locks in our Water Reclamation facilities. The application is 480 3 phase connection to a 25 ton portable a/c unit.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 PM
jnuechte
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume you can add a PTO to your truck if you didn't purchase it with it...?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jnuechte
I assume you can add a PTO to your truck if you didn't purchase it with it...?
yes you can. You have to buy an entire new transmission. Quite pricey, but you can do it.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20 ain't it. I saw that a while back but I really did not like how far the gear box hung down. I think that setup really belongs on a much larger truck. Anyway, I love having capability so I get all of the heavy duty options and a vinyl floor and this time all the fancy widgets too.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
How much I wonder......
8 years ago it was $5k for 12kw
you certainly don't need a 6L v8 to drive a 12kw power head.

Our motor coach has an Onan 10kw diesel gen and uses a small 3cyl Isuzu (aka yanmar) and sips less than a quart an hour on average....Ive run it nearly 3 days straight and didn't use 15 gallons.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
They are a novelty at best. Total disaster! We were swayed to buy 3 of these systems for our new trucks. Trust me, stay with a hydraulic generator that is bed or remote mounted.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jakematic
When the power is out for two weeks due to a hurricane or ice storm.... nope I wouldn’t mind at all
Being so rural a whole house generator is tricky, but everyone has diesel storage.
True Didn't think of that I live in socal so don't have to worry about that often, only during earthquakes. I was in the rv thought sine the junction box has both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:30 AM
jakematic
Senior User
Originally Posted by bushpilot
8 years ago it was $5k for 12kw
you certainly don't need a 6L v8 to drive a 12kw power head.

Our motor coach has an Onan 10kw diesel gen and uses a small 3cyl Isuzu (aka yanmar) and sips less than a quart an hour on average....Ive run it nearly 3 days straight and didn't use 15 gallons.
Yes it is massive overkill and doubt it would be anywhere near as efficient as my portables.
But I like backups to my backups ! And it would be another notch in my belt for an ongoing "how much can you outdo each other" thing a buddy and I've had for the last 25 years LOL

Originally Posted by wb6anp
True Didn't think of that I live in socal so don't have to worry about that often, only during earthquakes. I was in the rv thought sine the junction box has both 30 amp and 50 amp outlets.
Ahhh... makes sense. Gads no way I'd want to idle the truck to power an RV either.
Forget that most folks here have the SD for RVing. Mine is mostly farm and equipment towing.

Originally Posted by toymaster
Hindsight is 20/20 ain't it. I saw that a while back but I really did not like how far the gear box hung down. I think that setup really belongs on a much larger truck. Anyway, I love having capability so I get all of the heavy duty options and a vinyl floor and this time all the fancy widgets too.
Options are nice. Someday maybe I'll turn the Ford options box upside down and dump it all on a truck... but oooh the cost.

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
They are a novelty at best. Total disaster! We were swayed to buy 3 of these systems for our new trucks. Trust me, stay with a hydraulic generator that is bed or remote mounted.
Yeah it was interesting seeing on their website they mostly do much bigger vehicles.
Am sure there are better options... but redundancy would be cool if the cost wasn't so stupid high.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 AM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by jakematic
Propane doesn't go bad and a 1000 gallon tank will run the generator for a long time.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 AM
jakematic
Senior User
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
Propane doesn't go bad and a 1000 gallon tank will run the generator for a long time.
That was my plan A until Suburban pissed me off enough to close the account that came with the house, and then ripped me off by stealing almost 700 gallons via "pump out" fees.

May revisit that with an actual local propane company when I build the barn for the truck.
Going to take me years to rotate all the stored gasoline now that the F-150 is gone.... and also considering a diesel genset.

Quick Reply: Dang.... wish I had a PTO now