5.4 L stalling on long hot drives

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 AM
CajunBear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 L stalling on long hot drives

Hi,

I have driven a 2001 F150 4x4 5.4 L with 170,000 miles on it for the past 4.5 years (bought with 147,000 miles). It stalls and jumps sometimes, but only on long drives (more than 70-80 miles) when it is hot outside (more than 90 degrees) or I am towing a small boat. The truck has done this off and on as long as I have owned it. The RPMs will start dropping and if you don’t lay on the gas pretty hard it will die. As long as you give it a lot of gas, it will only lurch, but usually not stall -but that is no way to live! When it’s trying to die, it does a lot better if you’re accelerating than if you have to let off the gas.

Over the past 4.5 years, I have replaced all of the coil packs (and number 7 twice), the fuel pump and filter, the battery, a cracked positive terminal, and cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. I keep fixing things and expecting the problem to go away, and it always does until I take another long drive in the heat. It runs great on shorter drives and sometimes does fine on the long ones too, but not always!

The only code it’s throwing right now is P1000.

Any ideas or next steps? Feel free to dumb it down for me: I’m a weekend/YouTube mechanic, not a real one.

Thank you!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CajunBear
Hi,

I have driven a 2001 F150 4x4 5.4 L with 170,000 miles on it for the past 4.5 years (bought with 147,000 miles). It stalls and jumps sometimes, but only on long drives (more than 70-80 miles) when it is hot outside (more than 90 degrees) or I am towing a small boat. The truck has done this off and on as long as I have owned it. The RPMs will start dropping and if you don’t lay on the gas pretty hard it will die. As long as you give it a lot of gas, it will only lurch, but usually not stall -but that is no way to live! When it’s trying to die, it does a lot better if you’re accelerating than if you have to let off the gas.

Over the past 4.5 years, I have replaced all of the coil packs (and number 7 twice), the fuel pump and filter, the battery, a cracked positive terminal, and cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. I keep fixing things and expecting the problem to go away, and it always does until I take another long drive in the heat. It runs great on shorter drives and sometimes does fine on the long ones too, but not always!

The only code it’s throwing right now is P1000.

Any ideas or next steps? Feel free to dumb it down for me: I’m a weekend/YouTube mechanic, not a real one.

Thank you!
Well you have gone and replaced things that most would have suspected to cause the issue.

Considering that this mainly happens when outside temps are approaching 90 or above. Next I would probably flush the radiator....maybe even replace it. (presuming this is a Automatic trans) The reason I mention replacement is the radiator has a built in trans cooler in it.
Depending on the style of internal cooler it can be real difficult to flush that internal tranny cooler out. The internal cooler for transmission can get restricted and cause the trans temps to run towards to upper limit.

Have you even taken the upper intake ( the 90deg bend down toward the engine), or as know as, the throttle body housing off and cleaned the internal area. They can get build up of crud and carbon deposits and plug or heavily restrict a couple of EGR ports which can cause runability issues.
How old are the spark plugs? and the boots?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks??

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM
CajunBear
New User
Hi,

Thank you, Enriched&Beyound, this is helpful.

It is an automatic transmission. I will flush or replace the radiator when I get some free time. It does not overheat, though.

I did take off the upper intake/throttle body housing, actually this weekend. I was trying to clean/replace the IAC valve, because I was reading that this could cause my issue. I rounded off the bolts on the IAC valve and had to take the upper intake off to hammer an extractor on and get the bolts off! Anyway, I cleaned all the crud off the intake and ports.

The plugs are probably pretty old. I doubt they have ever been replaced. I have replaced all of the boots with the coil packs over the last several years. When a coil pack was bad, it would misfire and throw a code, but that was always superimposed on this other issue.

I will have to look up how to check for vacuum leaks.

Thank you for all of the help. I will keep working on it, and see if it still happens.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
I know you said your not too experienced but it's time to do some diagnostics for something to point to the problems or keep guessing and hoping to get a fix.
First, the 1000 code is not a trouble code. It tells you all system diagnostics are not complete.
If your going to service your self you need to look at live and stored data.
When the problem occurs, you need to be ready to look at some items while the problem is present.
For example fuel pressure, measure it with a pressure gauge.
Use scanner to look at the record of cylinder misfirers possibly indicating a faulty coil.
Until you come to this point, your issues will just continue.
I makes no difference what was replaced in the past, it what's wrong now that counts.
Good luck.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you round off the IAC bolts using standard sockets on a metric bolt? You say the spark plugs probably haven't been changed. That may be a good place to start by removing one and checking condition and gap.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 AM
CajunBear
New User
This is great! Thank you for all of this advice!!

As for how the IAC bolts got rounded and whether or not an SAE wrench was involved, I would rather not say because I don't want to lose any credibility or confidence here! I listed all of the stuff I had replaced just to make the point that this issue has been going on the whole time and replacing that stuff didn't really help.

Personally, I am hoping that cleaning the intake and replacing the IAC fixed the problem! If not, it looks like I have a to do list starting to form.

1. Check a plug/change them (I've been itching to do this for a while).
-Replace with Motorcraft plugs, 0.054 thousandths of an inch, right? I know I need to do this while the truck is cold and pull the coil packs off and spray some penetrating oil or something on them the night before, right? Any other advice/links?

2. Check the fuel pressure (I need to get the stuff and learn how then be ready the next time the truck is having the issue).
-Any links or advice would be helpful!

3. Check the vacuum for leaks (Probably relatively simple, but I need to look up how then be ready the next time the truck is having the issue).
-Links, advice?

4. Scan with an OBD scanner for history and while the truck is having the issue.

5. Flush the radiator or replace (not really excited about replacing another part for ~$150, might do this last especially since it isn't leaking or overheating).
-Comments about this or how important this is to my problem?

Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
350platinum
New User
We have a 2001 f-250 XL for the farm that did the same thing when idling or long drives in the summer, we never ran it into the red though so I have no experience with the stalling. All we did to fix it was thoroughly wash and blow out the rad. Or if the your fins are all messed up you can buy little plastic tools to straighten out the fins to the correct spacing.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:22 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Theres a chance your catalytic converters may be pluged up or your muffler migh be nicked causing a flow ristriction, an easy way to check for clogged kittys is to remove the upper O2 sensors on both banks and drive it iy you feel it has more power and the truck doent stall you found your problem. Just a side note its going to be freaking loud and you will end up with O2 sensor codes.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 PM
CajunBear
New User
Ok. It did it again today on the second leg of a 3 hour drive. It never actually died, it just kept losing power. I would lay on the gas and it would recover. I wasn’t in a position to troubleshoot it today while it was acting up, but I did go ahead and replace the radiator when it cooled off.

Anyway, I need to get a code reader and a fuel pressure gauge, then try to make it happen again.

I also need to replace the plugs.

Thank you for all of your suggestions! Maybe the radiator was it.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
A code reader is not what you want. It only reads codes set.
A Scanner is in order so you can look at operating data due to how the problem comes on.
A loss of power as described is a loss of fuel, overheating etc if the motor continued to run.
It's the only way to get a lead on the cause.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
CajunBear
New User
I replaced the radiator a few weeks ago, and have driven it daily since with no issues. I took it on a long drive today in the heat, and it started acting up after I stopped and got back in it. It was losing RPMs.

Any other ideas? I guess I still need a scanner and pressure gauge.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
It would have been cheaper to look at the cause when it happens.