2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Traded my 6.2 in on a 6.7.. Looking for Tipps/Tricks/Advice/etc on new truck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 PM
TexaSaiga
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded my 6.2 in on a 6.7.. Looking for Tipps/Tricks/Advice/etc on new truck.

Hey guys. 6.2 just wasn't cutting it anymore so I swapped it on on a 6.7 Lariat w/24k miles. Been years since I have owned a diesel and a lot of the tech on these new ones is new to me. I would like any advice y'all have on using the engine brake settings. Is it fine to run it in auto mode all the time to help save wear on brake pads? Also, what does the regen mode look like on these trucks. I have an excavator and when it regens, it just revs to full throttle and wont let it idle. Surely that would be a safety issue if a vehicle did the same thing. Fuel additives? Are the really needed and do they make a difference on these newer trucks? My truck has 4.10s and I can barely squeak 13.5 mpg out of it empty. I pulled a light 8500lb load on the highway today and that dropped instantly to 8mpg... seems pretty low... Last question: are there any mild tuners that could be recommended that are not detectable by the dealer(not really looking for more power, just a little better mileage would be nice... Any other tips and tricks for running this thing would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Engine brake is fine to use all the time. It is a preference thing and it doesn’t hurt the engine at all. Regen happens totally in the background. It will not idle up the truck except on the manual regen, which isn’t even an option on a Lariat. You would be perfectly fine to ignore that regens happen at all. Your mpg numbers seem low to me but I have an SRW with 3.55s. MPGs should be averaged over a long span because regen consumes a lot of fuel and will skew your numbers. I can get 20 MPG on the highway and it will drop to 12 MPG during regen. Average is about 17 all in all for me. I don’t know much about tuners and I wouldn’t count on any of them being undetectable although some claim to be.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM
TexaSaiga
Freshman User
Thanks for the info Billy. I also just realized that the truck has 285/70/17's which are 1.6" larger in diameter then stock, so thats gonna throw my mpg reading off a bit...

Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ***....but don't put gas in it. And, threaten the significant other with this fact. In your situation it will be easy to do if you don't put forth effort to remember, least till it becomes more automatic.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM
TexaSaiga
Freshman User
Haha, true true! All my other equipment is diesel, so should be easy to remember. Significant other will NOT be driving this truck lol

Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM
BK39
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your fuel numbers are a tad low, but not that bad. Do you drive fast? I know speed is killer on these trucks, higher RPM they tend to drink a lot. Tuning it isn't going to help mpg much. My 17 saw around +1 mpg towing, +1.5-2 mpg empty. I did it for the power, I wouldn't tune if for fuel economy, there just isn't enough gain.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get about 14.5 mpg hand calculated and that's mostly highway (75mph) on a SRW with 3.55 gears.

13.5 out of a 4.10 with the extra drag of the fenders and tires would be what I'd expect.

8 mpg does seem a little low pulling 8500 pounds to me though.
I average 10-12mpg in that weight range depending if I have a head or tail wind with a stock trailer.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:16 PM
TexaSaiga
Freshman User
I kept it around 70mph. Didnt really ever exceed that. I figure with the tire size difference, I prob got 14.5 +/-. What is the consensus on idling these trucks? Are they like most diesels where you start it and never shut it off? I have keyless entry so I can leave it idling in the parking lot when I go into businesses... Just doesnt seem right shutting off and restarting a diesel all the time, but with DPF filters on everything now, I wonder if idle time is even worse then just shutting it off.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
To avoid stop/start within a couple minutes I let it idle. Beyond a couple minutes, I turn it off. I use the exhaust brake when I tow and then it's on the Auto setting, not the On setting (two presses, not one). My towing MPG is a bit over 9.5.

I use Motorcraft PM22-A as my fuel additive. I get it from the dealer. It was cheaper there than Amazon. For oil I use Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 (full synthetic). it seems to be a very good price for a very good motor oil. If it wasn't that I would use Shell Rotella T6. I get the Motorcraft oil filter.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM
homerj
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only have 2500 miles and have never noticed a regen ... thought I was having one once but not sure. Towing a 6x12 2000# trailer I was getting only in the 10’s mpg.. my only grip about truck so far.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM
jakematic
Senior User
Originally Posted by homerj
I only have 2500 miles and have never noticed a regen ...
it has regen’d at minimum 5 times - every 500 miles.
Possibly more depending on how driven.
You can turn on DPF % in IPC with FORScan if interested.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are changing your own oil check out this video. I just posted this yesterday with tips on changing the oil on a PSD.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:16 AM
homerj
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jakematic

it has regen’d at minimum 5 times - every 500 miles.
Possibly more depending on how driven.
You can turn on DPF % in IPC with FORScan if interested.

Yes I know it has, i was just telling him basically not to worry about it.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:35 AM
jakematic
Senior User
Originally Posted by homerj

Yes I know it has, i was just telling him basically not to worry about it.
Ah sorry - thought that was a question. I shouldn't read forums when I'm so tired !

Yes it made me wonder at first too, but now I just don't worry about it either.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM
TexaSaiga
Freshman User
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. Two questions, and yes, I used the search feature and didnt find what I was looking for. I thought I reade somewhere that there was a 2018 flash for our 2017 trucks that gave a little bump in torque and hp to 2018 specs. Is this bogus? If not, is there a service report number for this procedure I can give my dealer? Also, I thought I read somewhere that I can program the auto engine brake to automatically come on when I start the truck instead of having to turn it on every time but I am having trouble finding that in the settings....

Quick Reply: Traded my 6.2 in on a 6.7.. Looking for Tipps/Tricks/Advice/etc on new truck.